LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

When speeches cost us TD and turnovers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dust-7
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by capsurvivor52:
Originally posted by NinerForLife:
I would put more blame on Coffee for leaving the field on Morgans long pass and not being ready for the play, which cost us a timeout because the personnel wasn't there.

I agree. A big rookie mistake cost us a timeout. A blown coverage cost us a TD. Not protecting the ball cost us a turnover. Calling a timeout did not cost us a win.

Others have suggested this - already. But Coach Sing is NOT . . Bill Walsh. He's Coach Singletary, in his first full year as an NFL Head Coach . . ever! He's going to make mistakes.

He called a timeout. It was purely for show. It was frivolous. It did nothing for the team. The opponent quickly scored a TD. And when a TO was needed to challenge a turnover that would have likely been reversed and gone the 49ers way, the 49ers had no TOs remaining.

I wonder about these - speeches. These look like grown men. But they're little pampered kids, so many of them. Nonetheless, in the good ole days, the kids - who all look like grown men (20 yr olds who look mid-30s, y'know) - didn't seem to require that the HC burn a timeout to help get 'their confidence up'. I think it was just assumed, you give 100% every play. You can't, there's that trip down the hall, to sit down for some bad news.

I don't know. Could Singletary be treating these kids too much with kid gloves? Is putting them in the role of - his kids - somehow affecting their confidence or decision making out on the field? Walsh, unlike Nolan, would make substitutions if a player was failing out there. He'd kid the player, ask a pointed question, sort of like Singletary tries. Even pep talks. But no 'stay the course'.

Let's hope, and it's early. The offense will come together. The defense was off - and even silly in some cases. It's two losses, at this point. I don't know how they beat the Bears. But . . maybe.

But what must happen is that the team that faced the Vikings shows up. They basically DID beat the Vikings and became 'conservative'. Prevent only prevents winning. This game, as is obvious - they couldn't do ANYTHING right. It's amazing these bumblers put up any points at all, it was that different a game from the Vikings.

A bye week. Only five games played. Three wins. Jimmy Raye get an outpatient brain transplant - or has some 'epiphany' not requiring surgery. Bly gets over his high school years. Morgan is taught that the TD is scored only when crossing the goalline, not the 10 yd mark. And so on. Lil things.
they tell you not look at niner talk after a loss like you're not supposed to sit too close to the TV.... but you do it anyways.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by obx49:
When Webzone members overreact and push the panic button over ONE FREAKING GAME.

lets see; we barely beat the cards, two run plays are our saving grace in Seattle, we loose the Viking game because our coaches allowed Favre two chance to win in the final minutes, we only beat the rams because of D and a special teams fluke and we suck collective cocks up and down the field today.

Yep... just one game.

The grace period ended last year when they gave Sing the job. Too bad for him but he doesn't get time to adjust. I have been watching a loosing team for 7 years and I am done waiting. They f**k up, I want answers.

Jeb better have a plan B in the ready.

Or what? Lol

Funny. I'm sure if you yell at your screen loud enough, the front office will hear you. God forbid they don't give YOU your answers.
Coach Singltary is a great motivator, what I refer to as a "Rah Rah" coach these kinds of guys can win and win a lot, today Sing got out coached by an "X and O" coach, stuff happens.

I will say I have a personal preference for "X and O" coaching, think Bill Walsh over Mike Ditka, but Singltary is the coach and up until today he has been a miracle worker. I plan to stick with him and see where this leads!

Some times you get the bear and some times the bear gets you!

Go Niners!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Coach Singltary is a great motivator, what I refer to as a "Rah Rah" coach these kinds of guys can win and win a lot, today Sing got out coached by an "X and O" coach, stuff happens.

I will say I have a personal preference for "X and O" coaching, think Bill Walsh over Mike Ditka, but Singltary is the coach and up until today he has been a miracle worker. I plan to stick with him and see where this leads!

Some times you get the bear and some times the bear gets you!

Go Niners!
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:
A) His dumb pep talk didn't work as the Falcons scored on a deep touchdown pass the very next play.

B) Later, we couldn't challenge an important play because we didn't have any timeouts left.

And why didn't we have any time-outs left smart guy? You should get your facts straight before ranting and raving. Remember what Coffee did that caused that?

I know what Coffee did... and that's exactly why you don't waste timeouts to give pep talks.

If Sing didn't call his pep talk timeout and Coffee still did what he did, all other things constant, WE WOULD HAVE HAD A TIMEOUT LEFT WHICH WOULD HAVE ENABLED US TO CHALLENGE THE FUMBLE.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
his pep talks r getting old

So is you being a Niners fan.
The Falcon sensed the D was going to be very aggressive, so they made a great call. That TO backfired big time!
you can only do so much as a coach. this has worked in the past but isn't always going to work, you just can't force that to happen everytime you call a timeout your time flips a switch and starts playing great football.
Share 49ersWebzone