There are 168 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 5)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Raye's playcalling works well with Frank Gore abilities...I think Bill Cosby does a decent job at playcalling given on what he has to play with
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by krizay:

While that may be true. His claim is it's the best in years. regardless of how bad it may have been. Regardless of where it got us. It was still better than it has been. Which is all he's saying.

Yeah, well my point is this: You can't get blood out of a Turnip. The offense is a Turnip...and it is damn near the point where the whole damn thing needs to be torn down and rebuilt because there is something seriously wrong with it if 4 different OC's can't get it to work. That's the common thread, the offense, regardless of OC, has sucked.

You guys are talking band aid s**t if your thinking a different OC, or even head coach, is going to take this offense anywhere with the same personnel we have.

It's time start thinking about the f**k is going and who the hell is staying personnel wise, instead of OC wise, especially with that O line and QB, which I damn sick and tired of sick tired over the last three years.

Oh I agree with you in that it's the players and not the OC. I agree 100%

So what explains the same players playing worse a year later?
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Come on, Martz had an inferior receiving corp (Morgan was only a rookie) and he still made Hill look like the real thing. We moved the ball pretty darn well with him.

Martz must be getting a good laugh at this one. What if Hill had two years in his system
We lead the league in three n' outs because all of a sudden, our same offensive players have decided to magically not play as well as last year?

Or perhaps it is Sims who we are missing? Was he the magic ingredient from last year that made our offense go?

You can't lead the league in three n' outs and expect to do anything.

Different coordinator, same players. Horrible result, hmm...
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Come on, Martz had an inferior receiving corp (Morgan was only a rookie) and he still made Hill look like the real thing. We moved the ball pretty darn well with him.

Martz must be getting a good laugh at this one. What if Hill had two years in his system

I think about that all the time. Plus, our D last year was nowhere near as good as this year.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Bruce should have retired
WORST GAME-PLAN EVER. RUN, RUN, SCREEN early, then late in the game SHORT PASS, SCREEN, SACK
  • B650
  • Veteran
After watching a few plays of the Jets-Dolphins game, I've come to the conclusion that our offensive line sucks.
Originally posted by B650:
After watching a few plays of the Jets-Dolphins game, I've come to the conclusion that our offensive line sucks.

What took you so long?
Originally posted by AKfanster:

What took you so long?

Gotta be bottom 5 in the league. Imagine if Staley and Heitmann suffer year ending injuries.

• B650
  • Veteran

What took you so long?

Homer glasses.
Originally posted by jones49:

What took you so long?

Gotta be bottom 5 in the league. Imagine if Staley and Heitmann suffer year ending injuries.

DUDE!
I have no problem with the power/smash mouth running game philosophy. The problem I have is that we also have to have a plan B specifically, the ability to pass the ball (also at will) and come back from behind. While Hill is a decent game manager, he lacks the ability to stretch the field and engineer a significant comeback.

Last week's game against the Rams was a great example. Anyone hear Morgan's assessment of Hill's first deep ball that was dropped? "It was like a punt". And it was!! That ball fluttered and floated like an Andy Lee poocher. The second ball, Morgan's touchdown, was also anything less than well thrown. Not a good sign.

What also concerns me about Hill is a mediocre pocket presence. He will at times take too long in the pocket, not "feel" the pressure and take sacks. Hill is OK against average teams but doesn't have enough skills to compete for a title.

Since he took over as a starter last year Hill is 8-6 against teams with a combined 73-94 record. Against +500 teams he is 1 - 5. Of his 7 wins against teams that are .500 or worse, 3 come against the Rams (2-19). What it boils down to is that Hill can manage a game against weak competition but not against teams that we need to beat to get back on top.

Is there an alternative? I would at least give Alex Smith a chance to fail without Nolan around. Nolan was a disaster when it came to young players and Smith in particular. Now that he's gone I'd give Smith a short leash. If he fails then he's gone. No questions asked.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by jones49:

What took you so long?

DUDE!

hey Chilo Rachel is here to stay!
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
What offense?

We were 28th and sinking before the game, I am afraid to look now. The 49ers are offensively challenged.
Share 49ersWebzone