LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 396 users in the forums

My thoughts on the Dallas game and where this team is headed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
BOO HOO we can't blitz BUT we're tied for 2nd in preseason picks

BOO HOO our offense cant pass the ball BUT we're in first in rushing (over 170 ypg)

Bottom line...we are playing conservative on both sides of ball and aren't showing our hand

Someone please tell me how many times we even rushed more than 4 guys yet this season on ANY DOWN

Someone please tell me how many passes we attempted

I think we've played our core game in the preseason and we're pretty DAMN good at it in my opinion

Please stop crying till we loose an actual game

they don't look like the same team. They ARE the same team.
Originally posted by dj43:
My thoughts:

Dallas is a deep team that was predicted to be a Super Bowl team last year, based on talent on the roster. The only change they made was cutting out the cancer of Owens. Therefore, getting outplayed by Dallas' first team was predictable, and should have been expected.

The OL pass protection was not very good but again, Dallas has a lot of talent on the front seven, and they brought multiple blitzers on several occasions. This is not an excuse, it is just seeing the difference between an elite team and a team that will do well to win eight games.

Pass rush is still non-existent. While it may well be the case that Manusky is saving his blitz packages for the regular season, I didn't see any 49ers winning many one-on-one battles to get pressure. The best news here seemed to be that Haralson did get pressure on a couple of occasions and Balmer is looking much stronger this year.

I won't join all the wailing about Shaun Hill. He is a gutsy guy with limited arm strength. Some have argued that Montana didn't have a big arm either but Hill is not close to even Montana arm strength. He is what he is. We will all have to live with that. I have not given up on Smith now that he is finally getting decent coaching. In the meantime, let's not panic because Hill did not tear up the Dallas secondary. The difference in talent is telling.

The biggest problem with this team is the lack of player development under Nolan. That will not get Singletary a pass for long but it does for right now.

McCloughan had some hits and some misses. That is to be expected. No GM gets it right 100% of the time. There were no sure-fire pass rushers available in FA because no good team lets their pass rushers get away. You have to develop them. Same goes for OTs.

The biggest issue right now, WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT, is that the team picked Crabtree instead of Oher. Still, I did not hear any draft pundits criticizing the pick when it was made. With Smith's retirement, it leaves the team very thin.

This team will win 8 games if key players stay healthy. With luck, 9-7. There still is no stud pass rusher and QB remains an interim situation. Teams don't make the playoffs with those issues, so let's just accept this team for what it is and hope it is lucky enough to catch a few breaks along the way and sneak into a division playoff spot.

Finally a voice of reason Good post!!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
My thoughts:

Dallas is a deep team that was predicted to be a Super Bowl team last year, based on talent on the roster. The only change they made was cutting out the cancer of Owens. Therefore, getting outplayed by Dallas' first team was predictable, and should have been expected.

The OL pass protection was not very good but again, Dallas has a lot of talent on the front seven, and they brought multiple blitzers on several occasions. This is not an excuse, it is just seeing the difference between an elite team and a team that will do well to win eight games.

Pass rush is still non-existent. While it may well be the case that Manusky is saving his blitz packages for the regular season, I didn't see any 49ers winning many one-on-one battles to get pressure. The best news here seemed to be that Haralson did get pressure on a couple of occasions and Balmer is looking much stronger this year.

I won't join all the wailing about Shaun Hill. He is a gutsy guy with limited arm strength. Some have argued that Montana didn't have a big arm either but Hill is not close to even Montana arm strength. He is what he is. We will all have to live with that. I have not given up on Smith now that he is finally getting decent coaching. In the meantime, let's not panic because Hill did not tear up the Dallas secondary. The difference in talent is telling.

The biggest problem with this team is the lack of player development under Nolan. That will not get Singletary a pass for long but it does for right now.

McCloughan had some hits and some misses. That is to be expected. No GM gets it right 100% of the time. There were no sure-fire pass rushers available in FA because no good team lets their pass rushers get away. You have to develop them. Same goes for OTs.

The biggest issue right now, WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT, is that the team picked Crabtree instead of Oher. Still, I did not hear any draft pundits criticizing the pick when it was made. With Smith's retirement, it leaves the team very thin.

This team will win 8 games if key players stay healthy. With luck, 9-7. There still is no stud pass rusher and QB remains an interim situation. Teams don't make the playoffs with those issues, so let's just accept this team for what it is and hope it is lucky enough to catch a few breaks along the way and sneak into a division playoff spot.

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
If Michael Lewis retires, obviously Roman will be the starting SS but I would also move Marcus Hudson back to safety and keep Eric Green as an extra corner.

I hope Hudson gets some action at safety vs the Chargers.

I also wanted to mention that Kentwan Balmer played pretty well vs Dallas, he was active, he is getting better. Manny Lawson is not.

why would lewis retire?????? yeah hes had 2 concussions but no way dude retires

2 concussions in 11 days, he has had some knee and shoulder problems the last few years, I don't know maybe the whole Marvel Smith thing has me overreacting but I just wouldn't be suprised if Michael Lewis retires or if they sit him out for at last a few weeks.
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
BOO HOO we can't blitz BUT we're tied for 2nd in preseason picks

BOO HOO our offense cant pass the ball BUT we're in first in rushing (over 170 ypg)

Bottom line...we are playing conservative on both sides of ball and aren't showing our hand

Someone please tell me how many times we even rushed more than 4 guys yet this season on ANY DOWN

Someone please tell me how many passes we attempted

I think we've played our core game in the preseason and we're pretty DAMN good at it in my opinion

Please stop crying till we lose an actual game

Fixed

Shuan Hill needs to get some good reps with the first team. I wonder how long he will play vs San Diego and if Alex Smith will be back....
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
My thoughts:

Great insight. Let's hope this team gets off to a fast start & catches some breaks.
Share 49ersWebzone