LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

My thoughts on the Dallas game and where this team is headed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Where do I start? It just looked like deja vu all over again last night. We couldn't pass block, we couldn't get the ball to our WR's, our defense could not get off the field, we miss used timeouts, had a lot of penalty's and made some very questionable/conservative coaching decisions. It looked like the 07 season.

I worry Jimmy Raye is just not creative enough to do much with this offense and that just don't have the weapons. Our O-Line still looks like they can't pass block that well and teams will just attack us and dare us to throw because our WR's can't get open quick enough and don't scare anyone. Josh Morgan looks like all hype right now, man he has looked bad in the pre-season, he caught no passes and dropped two balls he had a chance to make a catch on. Arnaz Battle is our best WR right now, scary...

We have no pass rush again. We banked on Manny Lawson developing into a pass rusher and right now that looks like a really bad gamble. Now Ahmad Brooks is hurt, it's not looking good.

I think our D will tighten up and play better once the regular season starts, Clements right now looks like a weak link and we still have problems stopping team on 3rd and short and 3rd and long. I like what I see from Goldson, he will start making big plays once he gets more time. But we have NO pass rush what so ever.

Okay, guys who impressed me vs Dallas (weren't many)

Nate Davis- Ill tell u, he looked good against the Raiders and he looked even better vs Dallas. He just seems to have "it". He has great poise in the pocket along with a quick release and a cannon for an arm. I don't know how he would do against a starting defense but I like this kid, I think he has a chance to be a starter in this league and a good one.

Kory Sheets- Really like this kid, he should have been a 4th or 5th rd pick but got screwed by the Purdue coaching staff. He is a quick back with very good speed but he also has good vision and he finishes his runs really well and has some pop. There is no question he will make the team now the only question is what # he will get since him and Reggie Smith both wear #30 right now.

Tarrell Brown- He really, really played. He has really fluid, smooth hips and closes well and is always in the right posistion.

Brit Miller- this guy just seems to get the job done.

Michael Spurlock- I think he beat out Jason Hill last night

Bottom line though I am worried, I think this is the same team from last year and that is not good. McCloughan did not improve this team and we are seeing the results right now. I also worry about Singletary, is he going to be a Nolan like conservative coach now that he is no longer an interim coach? I also worry he made a bad decision firing Mike Martz. Martz was a very good OC and PLAY CALLER and I think he made Shuan Hill and our WR's look better than they really are. Jimmy Raye I don't think is going to make anyone better with his scheme or playcalling. I know Singletary gives a great speech and gets the guys ready to play, but that only lasts for a quarter after that guys have to make plays and im not sure he has playmakers. I worry Singletary will just become another Herm Edwards. Right now the only thing I am excited about this team is Nate Davis and our rookie RB's, thats not a good sign. I thought we could win 8 or 9 games this season but now if you ask me I think we are a 6-10 team.

I am worried....
chill out bro

preseason

cool story bro
It's only the pre-season but it just looks like the same old team.
as much as iw anna believe its only preseason but i cant i have to agree with you...
I remember the 07 season, 3rd pre-season AT Chicago, we looked really bad and it just seemed to carry over into the regular season. I don't know maybe im jumping the gun, but it looks like Deja Vu all over again.
someone should let patrick know that every thread he started could have been a post in any number of threads
I agree with the feeling of deja vu from 07. I had high expectations that the 1st stringers would play better against Dallas. Not having a pass rush is one thing, but the amount of time that Romo had last night was sicking.

The back ups have saved every game this pre season, which means we have decent reserve players. Nate Davis, Sheets, Coffee, and Brett Miller are bright spots.......
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Great thread.

Will read again.
Originally posted by Ether:
Great thread.

Will read again.

Thanks

What? 3-0 not good enough??? You want style points? We are gonna have to win some games the ugly way this year. We have some glaring holes that will make life hard for a 49er fan, but we will be there at seasons end.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
What? 3-0 not good enough??? You want style points? We are gonna have to win some games the ugly way this year. We have some glaring holes that will make life hard for a 49er fan, but we will be there at seasons end.

Yup, we can go 4-0 this year in the preseason...just like the Lions did last season...

[ Edited by verb1der on Aug 30, 2009 at 18:41:40 ]
Originally posted by verb1der:

Yup, we can go 4-0 this year in the preseason...just like the Lions did last season...

Hopefully with a lot better results in the regular season.

yea people acted like they expected sing to fix everything. this team is good enough to win 8 or 9 teams imo. this team has its strengths and weaknesses. right now the only thing that makes me real worried is the combination of raye's offense and shaun letting us down.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

yea people acted like they expected sing to fix everything. this team is good enough to win 8 or 9 teams imo. this team has its strengths and weaknesses. right now the only thing that makes me real worried is the combination of raye's offense and shaun letting us down.

But that is a really big thing. If Raye is Hostler 2.0 and Hill underperforms in that scheme then it is going to be a long, miserable season.
Share 49ersWebzone