There are 890 users in the forums
Realistic Expectations for this season
Sep 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM
- geturembedder
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,578
Because Mike Nolan is gone.
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:42 AM
- NM49ERFAN
- Info N/A
Originally posted by bigmike55:
fail
is that Josh Freeman from the Bucs?
Sep 8, 2009 at 2:46 AM
- NM49ERFAN
- Info N/A
Seriously, i think people feel that way because we really didn't upgrade from last years team. We still have the same o-line, same receivers, same qb and a new system(again). I personally think we'll be ok.
Sep 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM
- plinius9mm
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,395
Originally posted by NM49ERFAN:
Seriously, i think people feel that way because we really didn't upgrade from last years team. We still have the same o-line, same receivers, same qb and a new system(again). I personally think we'll be ok.
Minus Martz/JTO and the ridiculous turnovers from the 7 step drops. Nolan is also gone with his weak ass big nickel defense. That should equate to at least 1-2 more wins.
Sep 8, 2009 at 3:51 AM
- ZRF80
- Member
- Posts: 13,551
Two words: Jimmy Raye.
When I heard that Singletary wanted to shy away from Niner tradition and become the new Steelers, and Raye was in agreement, I ignored it.
When I heard that Raye had failed with 6 different teams as OC, with a combined record of 60-120 (or close to it), and averaged only 18 points per game (we averaged 21 last year, btw), I ignored it.
When I heard that Jim Hostler claimed that he aspired to be like Raye, I ignored it.
But when I saw the wild-Niner called on a 3rd and long situation, I knew we were in trouble.
We're officially f**ked............
When I heard that Singletary wanted to shy away from Niner tradition and become the new Steelers, and Raye was in agreement, I ignored it.
When I heard that Raye had failed with 6 different teams as OC, with a combined record of 60-120 (or close to it), and averaged only 18 points per game (we averaged 21 last year, btw), I ignored it.
When I heard that Jim Hostler claimed that he aspired to be like Raye, I ignored it.
But when I saw the wild-Niner called on a 3rd and long situation, I knew we were in trouble.
We're officially f**ked............
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:04 AM
- redmanc07
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,349
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Two words: Jimmy Raye.
When I heard that Singletary wanted to shy away from Niner tradition and become the new Steelers, and Raye was in agreement, I ignored it.
When I heard that Raye had failed with 6 different teams as OC, with a combined record of 60-120 (or close to it), and averaged only 18 points per game (we averaged 21 last year, btw), I ignored it.
When I heard that Jim Hostler claimed that he aspired to be like Raye, I ignored it.
But when I saw the wild-Niner called on a 3rd and long situation, I knew we were in trouble.
We're officially f**ked............




PRICELESS
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:57 AM
- irief
- Veteran
- Posts: 680
No pass rush. No pass protection. Mediocre QB play.
Sep 8, 2009 at 5:59 AM
- SoCold
- Hall of Dumb
- Posts: 133,151
Cuase
Probably looking at two quarterbacks playing and putting up numbers like 1502 yards 12td 11int rating of 76.6 and 1578 yards 8td 8int rating of 69.3
A running back duo that might put up 1364 yards 6td and 588 yards and 2td
The leading receiver on the team doesn’t to any better than 67 catches 810 yards 5td.
Kicker that goes 35/39 with 135 points.
A secondary that gets a lot of interceptions
One of the best LB in the game
They might go a few games without scoring a touchdown
How could you possibly win with that type of play?
Probably looking at two quarterbacks playing and putting up numbers like 1502 yards 12td 11int rating of 76.6 and 1578 yards 8td 8int rating of 69.3
A running back duo that might put up 1364 yards 6td and 588 yards and 2td
The leading receiver on the team doesn’t to any better than 67 catches 810 yards 5td.
Kicker that goes 35/39 with 135 points.
A secondary that gets a lot of interceptions
One of the best LB in the game
They might go a few games without scoring a touchdown
How could you possibly win with that type of play?
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:10 AM
- 915Niner915
- Veteran
- Posts: 106
i love how evertime i have time to come onto the board, i expect the faithful to be well faithful.. lol. everyone..excuse me alot of people are so negative about the 49ers, you would think that they hate them. all i ever see is "why we not win" your doubts on shaun hill" "crabtree/cashtree/craptree/divatree blah blah blah." "alex smith sucks" "our WR suck" damn people try and think positive for once and again its not everyone, there are alot of faithful still
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 AM
- 915Niner915
- Veteran
- Posts: 106
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Two words: Jimmy Raye.
When I heard that Singletary wanted to shy away from Niner tradition and become the new Steelers, and Raye was in agreement, I ignored it.
When I heard that Raye had failed with 6 different teams as OC, with a combined record of 60-120 (or close to it), and averaged only 18 points per game (we averaged 21 last year, btw), I ignored it.
When I heard that Jim Hostler claimed that he aspired to be like Raye, I ignored it.
But when I saw the wild-Niner called on a 3rd and long situation, I knew we were in trouble.
We're officially f**ked............
Lol.
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:26 AM
- GoldenIowa49er
- Member
- Posts: 2,717
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Two words: Jimmy Raye.
When I heard that Singletary wanted to shy away from Niner tradition and become the new Steelers, and Raye was in agreement, I ignored it.
When I heard that Raye had failed with 6 different teams as OC, with a combined record of 60-120 (or close to it), and averaged only 18 points per game (we averaged 21 last year, btw), I ignored it.
When I heard that Jim Hostler claimed that he aspired to be like Raye, I ignored it.
But when I saw the wild-Niner called on a 3rd and long situation, I knew we were in trouble.
We're officially f**ked............
The Steelers just won the Super Bowl...just sayin....
Sep 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM
- iLL49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,768
7-9, 8-8 at best
its a very tough schedule
its a very tough schedule
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:27 AM
- dj43
- Moderator
- Posts: 38,382
There are roughly 20 teams in the NFL with generally the same overall talent level as the 49ers. They all have the capability of equal records. The difference is not in the talent level of the players but in who is lost to injury and which team gets a lucky bounce at a critical point in the game.
If the 49ers stay healthy and get that lucky break, they could win 9, maybe even 10 games.
If they lose Willis or Gore at some early point in the year and the ball bounces the wrong way, they could be 4-12.
That is the way it is in the NFL where parity/mediocrity is the rule of the day. The 49ers are just like every other one of those 20 +/- teams. I would bet that if you go to their fan boards, they are saying about the same thing as this one right now.
This league is carefully crafted to build a large number of teams that fit into the same notch. The league doesn't want 6 or 7 killer teams that dominate every game. It wants 20-22 teams that slug it out to see whose 9-7 or 8-8 team will get into the wild card game in the last two weeks.
That is realistic.
If the 49ers stay healthy and get that lucky break, they could win 9, maybe even 10 games.
If they lose Willis or Gore at some early point in the year and the ball bounces the wrong way, they could be 4-12.
That is the way it is in the NFL where parity/mediocrity is the rule of the day. The 49ers are just like every other one of those 20 +/- teams. I would bet that if you go to their fan boards, they are saying about the same thing as this one right now.
This league is carefully crafted to build a large number of teams that fit into the same notch. The league doesn't want 6 or 7 killer teams that dominate every game. It wants 20-22 teams that slug it out to see whose 9-7 or 8-8 team will get into the wild card game in the last two weeks.
That is realistic.
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:33 AM
- Carney16
- Member
- Posts: 426
Originally posted by dj43:
There are roughly 20 teams in the NFL with generally the same overall talent level as the 49ers. They all have the capability of equal records. The difference is not in the talent level of the players but in who is lost to injury and which team gets a lucky bounce at a critical point in the game.
If the 49ers stay healthy and get that lucky break, they could win 9, maybe even 10 games.
If they lose Willis or Gore at some early point in the year and the ball bounces the wrong way, they could be 4-12.
That is the way it is in the NFL where parity/mediocrity is the rule of the day. The 49ers are just like every other one of those 20 +/- teams. I would bet that if you go to their fan boards, they are saying about the same thing as this one right now.
This league is carefully crafted to build a large number of teams that fit into the same notch. The league doesn't want 6 or 7 killer teams that dominate every game. It wants 20-22 teams that slug it out to see whose 9-7 or 8-8 team will get into the wild card game in the last two weeks.
That is realistic.
You speak the truth.
Sep 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM
- WINiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,909
Originally posted by dj43:
There are roughly 20 teams in the NFL with generally the same overall talent level as the 49ers. They all have the capability of equal records. The difference is not in the talent level of the players but in who is lost to injury and which team gets a lucky bounce at a critical point in the game.
If the 49ers stay healthy and get that lucky break, they could win 9, maybe even 10 games.
If they lose Willis or Gore at some early point in the year and the ball bounces the wrong way, they could be 4-12.
That is the way it is in the NFL where parity/mediocrity is the rule of the day. The 49ers are just like every other one of those 20 +/- teams. I would bet that if you go to their fan boards, they are saying about the same thing as this one right now.
This league is carefully crafted to build a large number of teams that fit into the same notch. The league doesn't want 6 or 7 killer teams that dominate every game. It wants 20-22 teams that slug it out to see whose 9-7 or 8-8 team will get into the wild card game in the last two weeks.
That is realistic.
Simple explanation, but even then it's not quite right.
Within those 20 teams there are varying degrees of incompitance, or inability to get into that top tier or 10-12 teams who are true contenders. The Niners are at the bottom of the 1st group. We are a far way away from being true contenders.
I would break up the league into 3 groups, almosy evenly numbered groups. There is the "Contender" group which consists of about 10 teams that have true aspirations of getting to the SB at the end of the year. There is the "Maybe" group which is the group that could graduate a team or two into that contender group if things go right. Then there is the "losers" group, comprised of teams that have little to no chance of drafting in the back 1/2 of each round. The Niners are currently, and have been for many years, in group 3.
