LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
So it looks like we are drafting a QB in 2010!

1a = QB
1b = Passrush

All Davis does is go out and perform and you conclude this????

Against 3rd and 4th stringers. I would love for him to prove me wrong in which case our 2010 draft next year will be...

1a = Passrush
1b = RT

1a = QB
1b = WR

Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the offense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevant threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Well, Shaun Hill looked pretty terrible. But I can't figure out if that was because our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, or if Jimmy Raye's playcalling was too predictable.

Eerily reminiscent of the year Hostler was calling the plays, it seemed like the first string offense was too predictable. Dallas was far too on top of every rushing play after the 1st drive, with plenty of defenders up on the line. We couldn't get any passes out to WR's and didn't get Vernon into the game. So we rush, and we're damned, we pass ineffectively...a lot like Hostler's offense.

On the positive side, Coffee and Sheets looked pretty good. As the Dallas commentators said, if any of the RB's get cut, they won't have any trouble finding a job. Nate Davis looked pretty good too, we should try and work him into the first half for the last preseason game.

Or maybe it was a little bit of Hill just being what he is? He has been a career back up, maybe there is a reason for that. Not saying our line was good or the play calling wasn't predictable, but jeeze, he looked confused and inaccurate out there.

We haven't heard Morgan or Bruce's name called very much in any preseason games. Not like last year. If Hill saw some open receivers, he wouldn't have to hold onto the ball that long. Pretty elementary stuff.

The playcalling has been absolutely horrible so far.

There is not a team in the entire league who can simply run the ball down the other team's throat on a consistent basis.

You MUST have the threat of a passing game. Then they back off, then you can run the ball consistently.

If they KNOW you're going to run, the defense will play relaxed, loose, and your running game will be good in spurts, and bad in spurts. There will be no consistency.

This is beginning to look like the Hostler days.

You MUST establish the threat of a pass, or at least try. I would rather have a few interceptions mixed with big plays, then throw no interceptions and just punt punt punt punt punt.
Last year after a horrible game and a lot of beer I made a short but sweet thread, it went as follows:

f**k JTO
f**k Nolan
f**k Martz

I'm drunk again but I wont be overly critical

1. Hill has not proven anything yet this preseason. His play has been sub-par at best and his passer rating is actually below Forrest Gump's IQ. I am predicting that Smith will be given another shot at starting somewhere between week 5 and 7 unless Hill's game dramatically improves.

2. We are becoming waaaaay to predictable on offense, the play calling needs to change.....screen pass every series will not work!

3. Will the starting LG and RT please stand up, seriously Baas and Snyder are needed ASAP.

4. I will eat crow...Battle will not be cut

5. I will have the appetizer crow....Sheets impressed me with his running up the middle, at least tonight.

6. N Davis will be the #3 QB, I am convinced now he offers a bit more then Huard.

7. The starters are not producing to the level of their backups. Sing should give the 2nd stringers the day off and make the starters run till they puke

Let me add to my drunk ramblings CONVERT A f**kING 3RD DOWN!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
well...if it means anything Nate Davis looks better than Alex Smith during his rookie year...

Not hard to look better with a little talent around you.

Spurlock, Jason Hill, Ziegler, sheets isn't really 1st round talent
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
I saw alot of games with Davis at Ball State and i loved watching him play, he just seemed to have it and he sure did it tonight. We must keep him as our 3rd QB going into the season. Dont forget that he came into the draft as a junior and was projected as high as the 1st round before the Bowl game in January. Very refreshing performance from our 3rd QB

I agree, but he'll have to wait as I don't see Hill being outset for another 5-7 years.

!?!?!? How does Shaun Hill have a lock on our QB job for the next 5-7 years? Please tell me you mean 5-7 games!

You really think Hill is gonna be our QB for the next 5 years? I really dont see that happening. If the niners don´t think Davis can be developed as a starter then we have to draft a QB in next year draft with alot good QB available. Hill might be our starter for 1 or 2 seasons at most.

Exactly! Here is what I said last week responding to a comment made about how Nate Davis played horrible in his last two College games was the reason behind his drop in the draft.

Quote:
So two games is indicative of his whole college career? The kid was a winner at Ball State and has many school records to prove it. I'm not saying start the kid right away, but we are talking about pre-season here. Why not allow him an opportunity to play against a first team defense so the organization can see what kind of future the kid has with the 49ers? Let's face the facts: 1) Alex Smith will not be here next season 2) If we don't make the playoffs, then you can assume we will have a new QB next season whether it may come via the draft, trade, or free agency. In these next two pre-season games if Nate Davis performs like he performed against Oakland then I believe Nate Davis should be the second string QB.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=128597&start=105

My point was that if Nate Davis was drafted in the first round or even the first day of the draft, then there wouldn't be any question about Nate Davis starting. He obviously has a lot more talent than Hill and Smith and we can all see it. Why Not?
[ Edited by obx49 on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM ]

Too bad no one on the 49ers knows how to develop a QB.

Someone tell Mike Holmgren to brush the cheetos off his 'stache and come back home where he belongs.
He's the only guy (mainly) that ran it last year, and it continues this year. And every time, it fails. Why not let Gore run it -- if Ronnie Brown can do it, so can Frank!
  • mod
  • Veteran
What good is a "taser/wildcat" offense if all you do is run up the gut every time???

I just hope one of these days we will actually have Robinson pass the ball for a big TD... hopefully during this upcoming season.
I like nate because he and frank talk exactly the same..

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
He's the only guy (mainly) that ran it last year, and it continues this year. And every time, it fails. Why not let Gore run it -- if Ronnie Brown can do it, so can Frank!

I dont have a problem with robinson doing it... Gore sucked at it as well... I dont understand why we never pass it
Shaun Hill has struggled so far this preseason.

I hope this doesn't continue into the regular season because the only thing that he's shown so far is that he's a master of checkdowns.

The only time he could move the ball was in the two minute drill with the Cowboys playing off.

I hope Smith and Davis play a quarter each against SD.

-9fA
Originally posted by ttime1:

1a = QB
1b = Passrush

All Davis does is go out and perform and you conclude this????

And exactly how many 1st stringers were lined up on his side?
Because he was a quarter back at Penn. He is the most fit to run it.
Tim rattay often was 5 of 5 in preseason

or 14 of 15

most NFL "starting" QBs look great in preseason

Guys....

I want hill to be bad ass ....really bad ass.....

but.....hello......

fighting to .500 in completed passes in preseason is a VERY VERY bad omen....

I normally have to curb my enthusiasm after a preseason game and remind myself that the regular season is different...
Share 49ersWebzone