LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by Super9er81:
The offense looked alright with Nate Davis and Damon Huard, the starters didn't look good at all. I'm no expert so I don't know if that is because Dallas had the 2nd stringers in or they were running a simple defense or if our second string is actually better.

Did you notice how Dallas kept calling blitzes on almost every other play, but the Niners only blitzed two times? What is up with Manusky's playcalling?

It's pre-season? Maybe he was just calling it conservative? I hope so, because all indications are we will need to blitz to get pressure on the QB.
Last year after a horrible game and a lot of beer I made a short but sweet thread, it went as follows:

f**k JTO
f**k Nolan
f**k Martz

I'm drunk again but I wont be overly critical

1. Hill has not proven anything yet this preseason. His play has been sub-par at best and his passer rating is actually below Forrest Gump's IQ. I am predicting that Smith will be given another shot at starting somewhere between week 5 and 7 unless Hill's game dramatically improves.

2. We are becoming waaaaay to predictable on offense, the play calling needs to change.....screen pass every series will not work!

3. Will the starting LG and RT please stand up, seriously Baas and Snyder are needed ASAP.

4. I will eat crow...Battle will not be cut

5. I will have the appetizer crow....Sheets impressed me with his running up the middle, at least tonight.

6. N Davis will be the #3 QB, I am convinced now he offers a bit more then Huard.

7. The starters are not producing to the level of their backups. Sing should give the 2nd stringers the day off and make the starters run till they puke
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I wanna see Nate Davis against 1st string next week.

Im not saying we should replace Hill and let Davis start, just wanna see Davis against 1st nfl talent.

Hill didnt look solid tonight or against the raiders 2nd string the week before.

Hope this isn't a shock, but at least it is only preseason. I think we have already seen the best of Hill and I think Alex Smith has shown he is not going to live up to that potential he supposedly has. As has been said Davis is looking good against a lot of guys who will be happy if they land on anyone's practice squad. This QB situation doesn't look real good right now. Looks like the running game and an improved defense is this current teams hope for a winning record.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the offense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevant threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Well, Shaun Hill looked pretty terrible. But I can't figure out if that was because our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, or if Jimmy Raye's playcalling was too predictable.

Eerily reminiscent of the year Hostler was calling the plays, it seemed like the first string offense was too predictable. Dallas was far too on top of every rushing play after the 1st drive, with plenty of defenders up on the line. We couldn't get any passes out to WR's and didn't get Vernon into the game. So we rush, and we're damned, we pass ineffectively...a lot like Hostler's offense.

On the positive side, Coffee and Sheets looked pretty good. As the Dallas commentators said, if any of the RB's get cut, they won't have any trouble finding a job. Nate Davis looked pretty good too, we should try and work him into the first half for the last preseason game.

Or maybe it was a little bit of Hill just being what he is? He has been a career back up, maybe there is a reason for that. Not saying our line was good or the play calling wasn't predictable, but jeeze, he looked confused and inaccurate out there.

haha...nope Memphis....that is not the reason....Hill looked fine last year. I can explain why not to be too worried about this performance...but it wouldn't matter to you and some other posters so I won't waste my time.

lots and lots of bitter posters lately.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Super9er81:
The offense looked alright with Nate Davis and Damon Huard, the starters didn't look good at all. I'm no expert so I don't know if that is because Dallas had the 2nd stringers in or they were running a simple defense or if our second string is actually better.

Did you notice how Dallas kept calling blitzes on almost every other play, but the Niners only blitzed two times? What is up with Manusky's playcalling?

I did notice that and I think a lot of blitzing is the only way our defense will really get any pressure on the QB. Either way (blitzing or no) we are putting a lot of pressure on the DBs.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the offense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevant threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Well, Shaun Hill looked pretty terrible. But I can't figure out if that was because our receivers couldn't get any separation from their defenders, or if Jimmy Raye's playcalling was too predictable.

Eerily reminiscent of the year Hostler was calling the plays, it seemed like the first string offense was too predictable. Dallas was far too on top of every rushing play after the 1st drive, with plenty of defenders up on the line. We couldn't get any passes out to WR's and didn't get Vernon into the game. So we rush, and we're damned, we pass ineffectively...a lot like Hostler's offense.

On the positive side, Coffee and Sheets looked pretty good. As the Dallas commentators said, if any of the RB's get cut, they won't have any trouble finding a job. Nate Davis looked pretty good too, we should try and work him into the first half for the last preseason game.

Or maybe it was a little bit of Hill just being what he is? He has been a career back up, maybe there is a reason for that. Not saying our line was good or the play calling wasn't predictable, but jeeze, he looked confused and inaccurate out there.

haha...nope Memphis....that is not the reason....Hill looked fine last year. I can explain why not to be too worried about this performance...but it wouldn't matter to you and some other posters so I won't waste my time.

lots and lots of bitter posters lately.

This game was obviously the defining moment of his career.
Originally posted by Apone:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
I saw alot of games with Davis at Ball State and i loved watching him play, he just seemed to have it and he sure did it tonight. We must keep him as our 3rd QB going into the season. Dont forget that he came into the draft as a junior and was projected as high as the 1st round before the Bowl game in January. Very refreshing performance from our 3rd QB

I agree, but he'll have to wait as I don't see Hill being outset for another 5-7 years.

!?!?!? How does Shaun Hill have a lock on our QB job for the next 5-7 years? Please tell me you mean 5-7 games!
Originally posted by teeohh:
hill

pass rush

nate clements

nate davis

brit miller

arnaz battle

• trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
I saw alot of games with Davis at Ball State and i loved watching him play, he just seemed to have it and he sure did it tonight. We must keep him as our 3rd QB going into the season. Dont forget that he came into the draft as a junior and was projected as high as the 1st round before the Bowl game in January. Very refreshing performance from our 3rd QB

I agree, but he'll have to wait as I don't see Hill being outset for another 5-7 years.

What makes you say that? What game did you watch tonight?
im sure its already been posted ...

but just to start a little fire around here ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgcGCMt4Rs

If Shaun Hill plays in the regular season like he has all preseason, he won't make it past the 2nd game.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Has Nate Davis been announced as a starter yet? In other news, Andre Smith is about to sign with the Bungles, as for Crabtree....

yep good ol ball state in the mac
i would be ecstatic if our team started at the 35-40 every kickoff
Which NFL QB do you guys think Nate Davis is comparable to?
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Aug 29, 2009 at 8:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone