LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

what quarter does smith block ellis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by CoffeeMachine:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
well when you get 2 hands on the ball there is almosty no excuse for why you dropped it. and there is NO excuse for why he dropped it.

show me a great QB and i will show you a QB who was in a similar scheme through all his great years.

hell just look at favre last year. he asked the jets playbook to be lessened because he couldn't take it all in.

Maybe 2 hands at the numbers is inexcusable. When it is thrown above him at a bad angle I merely applaud Morgan for actually going for the ball.

WTF. Why do we pay these WRs all this money then?

I don't understand this double standard. We expect Smith to make every type of throw on every type of play in every type of situation...perfectly "in the numbers..."

But when the WR, who is a pro NFL player as well, has to reach a little bit or turn around or whatever then it's this huge problem. And it's all on the...qb?

Cmon man. You know all those "spectacular" catches we saw Rice make...they were spectacular because HE had to adjust to make those catches.

Let's get real. QBs have to make the throw I agree but to never expect the WRs to have to reach for a ball or extend their hands or just, oh I dunno, make a fukin play, is a ridiculous double standard.

seriously. by his standards i could be in the NFL as a WR.
well when you get 2 hands on the ball there is almosty no excuse for why you dropped it. and there is NO excuse for why he dropped it.

show me a great QB and i will show you a QB who was in a similar scheme through all his great years.

hell just look at favre last year. he asked the jets playbook to be lessened because he couldn't take it all in.

Maybe 2 hands at the numbers is inexcusable. When it is thrown above him at a bad angle I merely applaud Morgan for actually going for the ball.

I don't understand this double standard. We expect Smith to make every type of throw on every type of play in every type of situation...perfectly "in the numbers..."

But when the WR, who is a pro NFL player as well, has to reach a little bit or turn around or whatever then it's this huge problem. And it's all on the...qb?

Cmon man. You know all those "spectacular" catches we saw Rice make...they were spectacular because HE had to adjust to make those catches.

Let's get real. QBs have to make the throw I agree but to never expect the WRs to have to reach for a ball or extend their hands or just, oh I dunno, make a fukin play, is a ridiculous double standard.

I do not think he realizes how ridiculous the argument he is vainly trying to make is.

Shaun Hill threw the ball high to battle on a curl too, but Battle caught it like he should have. Morgan had to do the same, and he didnt.

If the ball would have bounced off Morgan's hands and fell in front of him, instead of being intercepted, who would you blame then?
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Shaun Hill threw the ball high to battle on a curl too, but Battle caught it like he should have. Morgan had to do the same, and he didnt.

If the ball would have bounced off Morgan's hands and fell in front of him, instead of being intercepted, who would you blame then?

He would blame Smith, did you really even need to ask?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I do not think he realizes how ridiculous the argument he is vainly trying to make is.

Seriously. Yeah I didn't realize that every QB has to ALWAYS put the ball in the numbers every time or else he's a bust.

You just need to put the ball where your WR has the best chance of catching it. And as a reciever it's your job to do the best you can to haul the ball in.

And I'm not saying Smith is doing an amazing job but to expect the ball to be placed perfectly every time is retarded. Some guys on here just parrot.

"Squak squak needs a quicker release squak alexcuses squeak needs to put the ball on the numbers squak the stats the stats he just doesn't have "it" he's scared squak squak I have double standards."
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
anybody got a clip of the hit on ellis?

Smitty!

-9fA

You applaud a professional wide receiver for just going for the ball? Wow...just wow. I'm pretty sure that's expected every time it's thrown his way. Well, unless you're Lloyd and you just duck. Bottom line, he got 2 hands(not fingertips) on it and not catching ball is inexcusable. The reason he said he should have caught it is because HE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT.
  • mod
  • Veteran

if he watched the f**king replay he would have noticed a D-lineman had just jumped up to block it. He missed the ball by about an inch. If smith had thrown it any lower it would have been tipped. I thought it was a good pass and one of the better games i've seen from Alex in a long time. People look at the stats and thats not fair. If you watched Alex he stood strong in the pocket, kept his eyes down the field when scrambling and threw it away when necessary. He didnt play like he typically does, (scared/nervous, unsure) but like a real QB.

I still think Hill should be the starting QB, but to be honest i liked what i saw this week from Alex more than I saw last week. This bashing on Alex smith is really just for the sake of bashing.
Originally posted by modninerfan:

if he watched the f**king replay he would have noticed a D-lineman had just jumped up to block it. He missed the ball by about an inch. If smith had thrown it any lower it would have been tipped. I thought it was a good pass and one of the better games i've seen from Alex in a long time. People look at the stats and thats not fair. If you watched Alex he stood strong in the pocket, kept his eyes down the field when scrambling and threw it away when necessary. He didnt play like he typically does, (scared/nervous, unsure) but like a real QB.

I still think Hill should be the starting QB, but to be honest i liked what i saw this week from Alex more than I saw last week. This bashing on Alex smith is really just for the sake of bashing.

Why.

Can't.

Most people.

See.

This.

Just watch the friggin replay. Analyze the play. A defender was there in front. In all likelihood, Smith was most likely thinking, "oh s**t, I better put this one a little high."

Then Morgan took ownership of the INT- saying it was his fault.

Agree 100%.

Originally posted by DonJulio:

Why.

Can't.

Most people.

See.

This.

Just watch the friggin replay. Analyze the play. A defender was there in front. In all likelihood, Smith was most likely thinking, "oh s**t, I better put this one a little high."

Then Morgan took ownership of the INT- saying it was his fault.

Because we have a few unreasonable fans that are incapable of getting past their own prejudices to admit that Smith is making progress. You'd think a Niner fan would be happy to see one of our most important players beginning to recover from 4 years of mismanagement and a serious shoulder injury. I just do not understand some of these guys hate for Smith. The guy is a Niner at heart, he wants to be a Niner and still people that call themselves Niner fans slam him and apply ridiculous double standards.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Because we have a few unreasonable fans that are incapable of getting past their own prejudices to admit that Smith is making progress. You'd think a Niner fan would be happy to see one of our most important players beginning to recover from 4 years of mismanagement and a serious shoulder injury. I just do not understand some of these guys hate for Smith. The guy is a Niner at heart, he wants to be a Niner and still people that call themselves Niner fans slam him and apply ridiculous double standards.

Seriously. I gained a lot of respect from Smith when he took a pay cut to stay on as a 49er. He could have easily left this organization that had until now completely mismanaged his career and gone off somewhere else with a clean slate.

This is why i'm rooting for him.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Smitty!

-9fA

I could watch that all day

just a note though, I hate watching Battle on end-arounds, I remember he scored that one time on MNF vs AZ, but every other time he gets stuffed.
Get someone with some speed out there, run it with Hill or Rossum.
[ Edited by cestmoi on Aug 24, 2009 at 1:32 AM ]
-9fA

Agree 100% ..... Stand-up guy, who wants to get better and wants to be a Niner! If Hill wins the starting job, it is guaranteed that A. Smith will be the 1st to congratulate him. I am also pretty sure that A. Smith will do whatever it takes to help Hill (his best friend, no less) succeed, while preparing himself to be ready if/when he is needed.

Also ....... that block on ellis was SWEET!!!!!

I don't care what your opinion is on Smith......

That block was so legit!
Share 49ersWebzone