Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Originally posted by boast:
anybody got a clip of the hit on ellis?

awesome thanks!
OMG that is a brutal block. this changed my whole of smith. Lets go f**king smith win the starting job

Originally posted by Nes49:

Sing took from that as Alex Having "No Fear" However Sing felt it was both a positive & a negative. Smiff had 2 surgeries on that shoulder & Alex blasts Ellis with it.

I think it was a great play to show that he is healed and not thinking about it. He just reacted and made a smart football play to help the team.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by CoffeeMachine:
well when you get 2 hands on the ball there is almosty no excuse for why you dropped it. and there is NO excuse for why he dropped it.

show me a great QB and i will show you a QB who was in a similar scheme through all his great years.

hell just look at favre last year. he asked the jets playbook to be lessened because he couldn't take it all in.

Maybe 2 hands at the numbers is inexcusable. When it is thrown above him at a bad angle I merely applaud Morgan for actually going for the ball.

WTF. Why do we pay these WRs all this money then?

I don't understand this double standard. We expect Smith to make every type of throw on every type of play in every type of situation...perfectly "in the numbers..."

But when the WR, who is a pro NFL player as well, has to reach a little bit or turn around or whatever then it's this huge problem. And it's all on the...qb?

Cmon man. You know all those "spectacular" catches we saw Rice make...they were spectacular because HE had to adjust to make those catches.

Let's get real. QBs have to make the throw I agree but to never expect the WRs to have to reach for a ball or extend their hands or just, oh I dunno, make a fukin play, is a ridiculous double standard.

seriously. by his standards i could be in the NFL as a WR.

I applaud you for posting!
Anyone notice how Morgan cost Smith and interception and saved Hill from one! That should stir up the pot LOL but honestly that interception is on the receiver. The throw was high for two reasons he had to get it over the line put some zip on it and put it where only morgan could catch it...it would have hit him in the facemask so it was a decent throw it was a HARD throw he put alot into it. But it hit Morgan right in the hands and it should have been caught I'm sorry to all the complainers but it should have been caught. Smith played decent without much help but the Cowboys game will be the true test. Looking forward to more news from niners camp as the week progresses!~
As much as I like the Block on Ellis, The Throwdown tackle was more impressive.
Originally posted by bigmur49:

Sing took from that as Alex Having "No Fear" However Sing felt it was both a positive & a negative. Smiff had 2 surgeries on that shoulder & Alex blasts Ellis with it.

I think it was a great play to show that he is healed and not thinking about it. He just reacted and made a smart football play to help the team.

He's on his last death throes and is doing anything to stay alive. It's similar to that crazy play by former 1st round pick David Carr last year? When Carr jumped over a running back in mid air?
[ Edited by fortyninerglory on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM ]
I always wondered whenever there is a reverse and the defense sniffs it out, why not just throw it away, instead whoever has the ball (in this case battle) tries to do something and we get a loss of yards.

In battles defense though, he didn't have much time to react in this play.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
I always wondered whenever there is a reverse and the defense sniffs it out, why not just throw it away, instead whoever has the ball (in this case battle) tries to do something and we get a loss of yards.

the O-Line will be blocking downfield and it would be a penalty.
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

the O-Line will be blocking downfield and it would be a penalty.

Thanks for clearing that up.
oh look its another end around to battle where he loses yards. i think every one of our 5 recent oc's has run this same genius play and lost yards. who the hell runs an end around with their slowest wr? plz never run this play with battle again.

• B650
  • Veteran
That's what I'm talkin' about.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Originally posted by bigmur49:

He's on his last death throes and is doing anything to stay alive. It's similar to that crazy play by former 1st round pick David Carr last year? When Carr jumped over a running back in mid air?

It's not such a good thing for a QB when his best two plays are a block and a tackle after an interception.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Smith doesn't return to the game. The play was in the First Quarter. Smith had two great defensive type plays. The block on Ellis and the tackle after the interception.

Which saved a TD, I might add. We stood up the Raiders at the goal line after the INT. If I were a Raiders fan, I would be that they couldn't punch it in.

They stopped us from "punching it in" TWICE!
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Alex Smith=Ronnie Lott

If Chad Johnson can play both wide receiver and kicker, Alex Smith can play both quarterback and safety. He would probably be the better safety.

Man, the more I watch that, the more I think that vid needs the song "Smack My B!tch Up!" inserted.

My contributions to this glorious discussion.
as one of the biggest alex haters on the forum I can say I really appreciated that block and even more so that tackle.

One thing I have gradually changed my mind on about Alex is I use to think the NFL would spit him out before the end of the decade. Now I think he has a shot to be a career backup somewhere else.
Share 49ersWebzone