LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

NateDog

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • CoffeeMachine
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Taylor looks like a nice rookie. He is very big for a safety. I hope they cut Roman. I would rather see a Rookie make mistakes than a guy I have seen for multiple years do so.

I agree. 0 INTs the past 2 years. Rather ineffective as a safety really.
Watching this kid at the game live was nice. It was good to see him in action though we all know he has no chance of starting this season. I am all for that. My question is do you guys think he can be a starter in a year or 2 or did we draft him to be a backup?

He had great touch, the strongest arm out of all the QBs on our Roster, more mobile than expected, and was able to needle the thread with the bullet to Walker in the endzone.

I did not see much I didn't like from this kid. Knew when to throw it away when he had to. Didn't make stupid throws. Granted he was called on to hand off the ball alot, but when he was called on to throw, he did quite well.

I am in no way trying to jump the gun and crown this guy. We all know his play was against the Raiders 3rd stringers, but was pleasantly surprised...
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by TownTalk510:
Hey was anyone impressed with rookie QB Nate davis performance last night I thought he played well. He damn sure played better than the other Nate. should we ignore the coming QB draft class and dump all our resources into nate or should we still draft a QB ?

facepalm
This is where i wanna beeee, riding with my thug ones.....
Looks good, but is still too hot & cold... Understandable cause he is a rookie though. Its too early to tell, but we still need to get an elite QB.
[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Aug 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM ]
I know nate was playing against scrubs, but he did show some really good things..

he had some lightning passes to the recievers, which were on target...
He commanded the huddle pretty well...
He seemed to have good pocket presence...
He also showed some confidence...
One play that particularly stuck out was when he was about to get clobbered, and he stuck in there and slung it... To me, that takes serious composure from a QB without buckling under the incoming pressure...
Nate Davis is a project, Yes he looked good on Saturday night, but again its only preseason, and it its against 3rd stringers, its gonna be at least 1 year before we can consider him as a backup or a starter.

Rookie QBs have more success sitting at least a year, yes there are exceptions, but we shouldnt rush this guy(if Sing sees him as our future QB) like we did Alex
first of all, they need to give him some correct pads. He's wearing free safety pads.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
lets develop him and see what happens.

Bingo....he's showing signs of potential and we should continue to develop him....Next year if he comes back in better shape and shows more signs of growth....we won't have to draft a QB in the first.

And for people who have no clue about Nate...they should just be quiet...this dude was one of the best QB's in the history of the MAC Conference and it's not surprising to me to see him compete.
The club may regret generating so much NFL game film on Davis. I'll bet that you won't see any more of Davis in Exhibition Games 3 or 4. Before the Raider game, I believed that Davis was a reasonably good bet to make it through waivers to the Niner PS, where he could spend a year adjusting to the NFL. Now, it seems like the quality of his play vs the Raiders, may well attract a waiver claim from another team, resulting in a wasted draft pick. Plenty of clubs with an established #1 QB could be interested in a young, promising, developmental QB as their #3 guy.

This was my first opportunity to view Davis in game conditions, and I was impressed, as I am sure, were many others. My attitude toward Davis' 2009 disposition has changed.

The lack of a clear #1 QB puts the Niners in a tough spot on roster decisions. Singletary wants to win NOW, as do most fans. The club will likely need 2 capable QB's to get through the season. Huard is VERY capable as a # 2 or a #3 back-up QB. Would Huard still be sitting by the phone in Week 7, if the club kept Davis on the Final 53 and cut Huard? Remember that Huard was signed as iunsurance when Smith's health and contract status were still in flux. Those are no longer issues.

My best guess at this time? Since neither Hill nor Smith is playing at a #1 QB level, Davis now makes the Final 53, instead of Huard. Davis has an upside, Huard does not. Why not take the year to make a decision on Davis, before having to decide how to spend those 2 first-rounders in the 2010 draft?

If Davis sees meaningful time in Exhibitions 3 and/or 4, then it seems to me that the club may have already made the decision that Davis makes the Final 53. If they want to stash him on the PS, please, do not generate any more film!

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Classic board overreaction.

Davis played alright, not outstanding. He was 6 for 11, which is good, but not unbelievable, against third and fourth string defenders. While it is a nice sign, let's keep that in perspective. He wasn't facing All-Pro defenders, just a bunch of guys headed to the CFL in a couple weeks.

Until he can play at this level against top level competition, let's hold off from casting the bust for Canton.

And, next week, when he stinks, let's also not throw him to the wolves. He's a rookie.

Everyone does remember the greatest preseason player of all time, Thomas Clayton, right? Preseason games are preseason games, especially in the second half, which is thirty minutes of garbage time.

Who exactly are you arguing with?

Aside from a couple of comments, the general consensus seems to be that he played well (not effusive praise), yet people recognize that he was playing against sub-par competition. Yet you consolidate a couple of outlying opinions into "classic board overreaction", surely to pat yourself on the back 3 months from now when Davis is holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

People aren't generally putting him into Canton, nor are they under the impression that he was facing superior competition. But I guess it's easier to direct snarky, condescending comments toward an imaginary consensus.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Classic board overreaction.

Davis played alright, not outstanding. He was 6 for 11, which is good, but not unbelievable, against third and fourth string defenders. While it is a nice sign, let's keep that in perspective. He wasn't facing All-Pro defenders, just a bunch of guys headed to the CFL in a couple weeks.

Until he can play at this level against top level competition, let's hold off from casting the bust for Canton.

And, next week, when he stinks, let's also not throw him to the wolves. He's a rookie.

Everyone does remember the greatest preseason player of all time, Thomas Clayton, right? Preseason games are preseason games, especially in the second half, which is thirty minutes of garbage time.

Who exactly are you arguing with?

Aside from a couple of comments, the general consensus seems to be that he played well (not effusive praise), yet people recognize that he was playing against sub-par competition. Yet you consolidate a couple of outlying opinions into "classic board overreaction", surely to pat yourself on the back 3 months from now when Davis is holding a clipboard on the sidelines.

People aren't generally putting him into Canton, nor are they under the impression that he was facing superior competition. But I guess it's easier to direct snarky, condescending comments toward an imaginary consensus.

You missed the boat!

Did you come in here on the day of the preseason game? There were 5 threads about how Nate Davis was looking like the "real deal".

The hype has died down a bit since then though.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You missed the boat!

Did you come in here on the day of the preseason game? There were 5 threads about how Nate Davis was looking like the "real deal".

-9fA

And considering that there are literally hundreds of users online during a game, that's really not all that bad. Extrapolating the consensus of the board from a small minority of people does nothing more than constructing an easily defeatable argument. Davis looked adequate and showed some of his physical traits, but most people realize the circumstances in which he played.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:43 AM ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
The club may regret generating so much NFL game film on Davis. I'll bet that you won't see any more of Davis in Exhibition Games 3 or 4. Before the Raider game, I believed that Davis was a reasonably good bet to make it through waivers to the Niner PS, where he could spend a year adjusting to the NFL. Now, it seems like the quality of his play vs the Raiders, may well attract a waiver claim from another team, resulting in a wasted draft pick. Plenty of clubs with an established #1 QB could be interested in a young, promising, developmental QB as their #3 guy.

This was my first opportunity to view Davis in game conditions, and I was impressed, as I am sure, were many others. My attitude toward Davis' 2009 disposition has changed.

The lack of a clear #1 QB puts the Niners in a tough spot on roster decisions. Singletary wants to win NOW, as do most fans. The club will likely need 2 capable QB's to get through the season. Huard is VERY capable as a # 2 or a #3 back-up QB. Would Huard still be sitting by the phone in Week 7, if the club kept Davis on the Final 53 and cut Huard? Remember that Huard was signed as iunsurance when Smith's health and contract status were still in flux. Those are no longer issues.

My best guess at this time? Since neither Hill nor Smith is playing at a #1 QB level, Davis now makes the Final 53, instead of Huard. Davis has an upside, Huard does not. Why not take the year to make a decision on Davis, before having to decide how to spend those 2 first-rounders in the 2010 draft?

If Davis sees meaningful time in Exhibitions 3 and/or 4, then it seems to me that the club may have already made the decision that Davis makes the Final 53. If they want to stash him on the PS, please, do not generate any more film!

I saw him play quite a bit last year for some reason and I just loved watching football games he was QB'ing. He makes it look smooth and effortless to run an offense. Accurate, efficient and calm. Don't underestimate the fact that he built a nothing program into a nationally recognized one that got ESPN coverage big time. He was my favorite college player last year and I was stoked when we took him.

Of course you can also look at his post season last year and get an idea of what he looks like when he is off. He can suck but he fights through it.

Then
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
You missed the boat!

-9fA

And considering that there are literally hundreds of users online during a game, that's really not all that bad. Extrapolating the consensus of the board from a small minority of people does nothing more than constructing an easily defeatable argument. Davis looked adequate and showed some of his physical traits, but most people realize the circumstances in which he played.

Fair enough, i see your point.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone