LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 302 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yeah the zone was 50/50 on the Coffee pick. MadDog didn't like it much either. Most actually wanted to draft Sheets in the 3rd. Funny how he went undrafted.....

-9fA

I watch a lot of SEC football and Coffee was the best offensive skill player on Bama.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yeah the zone was 50/50 on the Coffee pick. MadDog didn't like it much either. Most actually wanted to draft Sheets in the 3rd. Funny how he went undrafted.....

-9fA

I watch a lot of SEC football and Coffee was the best offensive skill player on Bama.

Hmmm, better than Julio Jones??? I don't know man...Coffee was very good last year, but Jones is a monster.
alex looked a bit better.
calmer, more composed and better command of the huddle(it seemed.)
still took too long going thru progressions and held onto ball too long, BUT...
he seems to be getting a little better, and if he keeps it up,
and if we stick with raye, maybe he'll actually look ok by midseason or next year.
for the most part he seemed to make good decisions tonight,
and stepped up nicely on a couple throws with bodies around him.
encouraging to see progress, but i still think hill should start the season.

...speaking of hill, he looked really bad.

we need baas back. wragge is DEFINITELY the weak link on the OL.

we need b.jones back. not much separation tonight.

nate clements is getting worse? wtf?

i'm excited about going into the season with d.goldson at FS

k.balmer is making incrimental progress but it's almost as painfully slow as a.smith's progress.

mckillop got picked on by the raider's #2 TE. love the kid but,
he definitely needs to work on his coverage ability.

i like how coffee finishes his runs and seems to always fall forward 2 more yards

a.franklin looked pretty good but it was the raiders OL

p.egboh, #60(forgot his name) the FB(LBer from illinois) and d.briggs all need to make the PS.
Ok Nate Davis was encouraging and it might be hard to slide him onto the practice squad if this continues. What I liked was even though it was against scrubs and a vanilla defense he threw accurate passes with a nice touch. At least he is very intriguing at this point.

Coffee did look good but so did everyone else we used which leads me to wonder how much the Raiders had to do with it. The OL did a nice job too. I want to see a repeat of this against the Cowboys ------ then I will believe it is real. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Then again the Raiders did have a chance to preview him in practice a couple of times.

The coaches need to pick one guy and let him get the reps cause neither one looked particulary good ------ I might give the edge to Smith tonight with those dropped passes. I would like to feel better about this position than I do.

Scott McKillop continues to impress. Delanie Walker looked good , Reggie Smith caught my eye.

Maybe the defense got a little more pressure on the QB ------ but still I want to see much more.

In general I was encouraged overall for a pre-season game. I hated to see the last laugh go to Louis murphy in the End Zone.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 23, 2009 at 1:42 AM ]
RUN RUN RUN!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by GoFD74:

-9fA

Hmmm, better than Julio Jones??? I don't know man...Coffee was very good last year, but Jones is a monster.

Yeah but by a narrow margin, Jones will be better in the long run though. If you run for 1465 yards in the SEC,you are a pretty sure shot to make it in the NFL.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
Ok Nate Davis was encouraging and it might be hard to slide him onto the practice squad if this continues. What I liked was even though it was against scrubs and a vanilla defense he threw accurate passes with a nice touch. At least he is very intriguing at this point.

Coffee did look good but so did everyone else we used which leads me to wonder how much the Raiders had to do with it. The OL did a nice job too. I want to see a repeat of this against the Cowboys ------ then I will believe it is real. Thoroughly enjoyed the show.

The coaches need to pick one guy and let him get the reps cause neither one looked particulary good ------ I might give the edge to Smith tonight with those dropped passes. I would like to feel better about this position than I do.

Scott McKillop continues to impress. Delanie Walker looked good , Reggie Smith caught my eye.

Maybe the defense got a little more pressure on the QB ------ but still I want to see much more.

In general I was encouraged overall for a pre-season game. I hated to see the last laugh go to Louis murphy in the End Zone.

I think the pass rush will look better once Haralson and Willis are back, also when the real games start, you can rest assured that there will be more blitzing and stunting, not this vanilla stuff we are seeing so far this preseason.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:

Coffee did look good but so did everyone else we used which leads me to wonder how much the Raiders had to do with it. The OL did a nice job too. I want to see a repeat of this against the Cowboys ------ then I will believe it is real. Thoroughly enjoyed the show.

I think the pass rush will look better once Haralson and Willis are back, also when the real games start, you can rest assured that there will be more blitzing and stunting, not this vanilla stuff we are seeing so far this preseason.
Your point is well made and I want nothing more than to believe.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 23, 2009 at 11:46 PM ]
How sad is it that Nate Davis is our best QB? Throw him in there against 1st stringers, i wanna see how he does. NOOOOO WAYYYYY he is worse than Smith or Hill. Lets be real,
they're both garbage.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
How sad is it that Nate Davis is our best QB? Throw him in there against 1st stringers, i wanna see how he does. NOOOOO WAYYYYY he is worse than Smith or Hill. Lets be real,
they're both garbage.

That might be a little overreaction Dynasty, Smith's numbers were not good tonight, but there were three dropped passes and two throw a ways to prevent sacks. My point being, maybe now that we have a coaching staff that seems to know a little more about developing players, Smith might continue to improve. I do not know what to think about Hill's performance tonight, he actually looked worse than Smith...which was totally unexpected. Nate might turn out to be good, and I liked what I saw from him), but it is a little early to say he is our best QB.

Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
alex looked a bit better.
calmer, more composed and better command of the huddle(it seemed.)
still took too long going thru progressions and held onto ball too long, BUT...
he seems to be getting a little better, and if he keeps it up,
and if we stick with raye, maybe he'll actually look ok by midseason or next year.
for the most part he seemed to make good decisions tonight,
and stepped up nicely on a couple throws with bodies around him.
encouraging to see progress, but i still think hill should start the season.

...speaking of hill, he looked really bad.

we need baas back. wragge is DEFINITELY the weak link on the OL.

we need b.jones back. not much separation tonight.

nate clements is getting worse? wtf?

i'm excited about going into the season with d.goldson at FS

k.balmer is making incrimental progress but it's almost as painfully slow as a.smith's progress.

mckillop got picked on by the raider's #2 TE. love the kid but,
he definitely needs to work on his coverage ability.

i like how coffee finishes his runs and seems to always fall forward 2 more yards

a.franklin looked pretty good but it was the raiders OL

p.egboh, #60(forgot his name) the FB(LBer from illinois) and d.briggs all need to make the PS.

#60 is Khalif Mitchelle
he is someone I was very high on during the draft. and I was very excited to pick him up as an UDFA. While I know it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers, Mitchelle was calapsing the pocket and on many plays tossing the center and guard out of his way. That in its self is something we have never seen out of Franklin or Soap. I am really disapponted that Soap hasn't developed, and I wouldn't be mad if Mitchelle took his spot as the #2
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
they're both garbage.

You make a good point. Sing knows neither Hill nor Smith is the s**t for the long term. Name Hill the starter, play him the first qtr's, let Nate play the second...get him some time with the first team, up against first team defenses...see what he does, there's really not much to lose in doing so.
[ Edited by Blitz on Aug 23, 2009 at 2:26 AM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

The football Gods don't like him because he throws his passes high and hard.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hill doesn't seem to have the same problem with "the football Gods."

And therein lies you answer.

Hills arm is so weak that none of his passes are strong enough to be deflected off the receivers face. Morgan just isnt used to that type of Arm Strength. He will be by Week 1 though.
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by bigwads:
That Alex's main issue is that he is cursed. He plays well and bad things happen. Davis drops a first down, Morgan lets a pass go off his facemask for an int...for some reason the football gods just don't like my boy Smith.

The football Gods don't like him because he throws his passes high and hard.

Yes, a professional is always "supposed" to make the catch, but it sure is nice when they instead get a nice catchable ball right on the numbers.

Hill doesn't seem to have the same problem with "the football Gods."

And therein lies you answer.

Hills arm is so weak that none of his passes are strong enough to be deflected off the receivers face. Morgan just isnt used to that type of Arm Strength. He will be by Week 1 though.

I am so glad to see all of our running backs doing well. i hope we can find a way to keep them all on the roster,
Share 49ersWebzone