LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 199 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by boast:
Glenn Coffee!!!

we now have a legit backup for Frank Gore.

hell yeah!

all our Rb's looked great, so a lot of credit goes to the O-line, but if they all keep that up, we will win football games.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Glenn Coffee!!!

we now have a legit backup for Frank Gore.

hell yeah!

all our Rb's looked great, so a lot of credit goes to the O-line, but if they all keep that up, we will win football games.

In other words I feel like last night was the first time we really saw what "Fysical with an F" stands for
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
  • B650
  • Veteran
At least we know now that Alex can block.

Sit the f**k down! man what a block!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
But honestly guys - outside of the running game, how does this offense look any different. The "starting" WRs didn't do much last week either. I'm still waiting for Josh Morgan to "show up" as he has been in camp.

Bruce and Morgan didn't play that much. Crabtree hasn't signed yet. I want to see more of Spurlock.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
But honestly guys - outside of the running game, how does this offense look any different. The "starting" WRs didn't do much last week either. I'm still waiting for Josh Morgan to "show up" as he has been in camp.

It's the second preseason game. Lets see how the starters do in extended time next week.

Although, I think the Jones injury has begin to hurt us more.

Lol everyone in our section was on their feet when this happened.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by B650:
The ball should've been caught. However, considering that it was in the middle of the field, Alex should share some of the blame. You have to keep the ball low there, because...

A)Less chance of a tipped ball.
B)Less chance of your WR getting injured.

The guy just looks like he's thinking too much; he's too mechanical. What do you expect when you're in charge of a new offense every single year? Most QBs start becoming stars in their 3rd year. A lot of that is because they start becoming comfortable with the offense, so there's less thinking involved and they become smoother and less mechanical. Well, Alex never had the luxury of sticking to one offense so he's constantly in "thinking mode." He seems clunky. You can see that he's not fully confident yet. I think he'll get there one day, it just might not be with this organization.

No, the ball should have been caught. The ball was a little high because a DT crashed the pocket and was about a half step from drilling Smith, he had to release high because otherwise the ball was going to get batted down by that very DT. Besides, the throwing high over the middle doesn't apply here, he was running a crossing route and Smith wasn't leading him into a defender. Morgan was coming back and the ball bounced off his face before he was ever hit.

Whatever the Smith bashers try to spin it, Smith looked better last night, he looked more confident and made the right reads. The receivers dropped three very catchable balls last night and Smith threw two away to avert sacks. At this point it is still a wash in the QB situation. Last night Smith actually looked more comfortable at QB than Hill and more decisive, which I have to admit surprised me.
As much I am impressed with Nate Davis. His play came against players which are accomodated to his speed.
He would struggle mighty against starters, the game is much much much faster, guys are much better disguising their coverage.

It would be a biiiig mistake throwing him to the lions as Nolan made with SMith. He would have Smithesque numbers.

Let the guy develop, and bring him in slowly.Maybe give him a shot in PS game 4, just for a taste.

Smith did look better, and in a certain way he is on his way. I agree that we all have expected more of him. Good thing that there's not the pressure that we have to start him.

Hill looked bad. Yet we all know that Hill finds a way to win games ( see Rams last year).

IMHO Hill should start, Smith will get his playing time. Let him show that he can make the breakthrough!

I know it's preseason but what's up with Nedney? Kept messing up yesterday.

The WR didn't get open all day yesterday, but the Raiders are top 10 against the pass. That's the reason I can't wait for Crabtree he was awsome in college even when double teamed :(
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
I know im gettin tired of hearing the alex smith throws too high. Every ball should of been caught yesterday just as the announcers said. That catch to bruce wasnt even that hard, it was a hill type wobbly throw, and he dropped it. That one to vernon went through his hands and he should of caught that one. That ball to Morgan should of been caught as well. He took his eyes off of it, and even he said should of just worried about the catch first then everything else.

What make a wide receiver is his hands, i watched brady, manning, ryan, flacco, and all three of these men throw behind, a little low, and a little high to receivers. Doesnt matter how often but as a receiver at least even when i played my coaches always say if you get your hands on the ball it should be caught. So please stop making all the damn excuses about too high. All the passes should of been caught. And even on the INT, espn, nfl network, and morgan himself said that ball should of been caught.

So yesterday although neither qb did great. With all that smith did, from the ellis tackle, then on the int tackle, then the dropped passes that werent his fault, he clearly won the competition yesterday.

Also in regards to hill, many may not like it, but the raiders shut down his short game, and once they did that he became ineffective. Say what you want but with hill going from last week, and this week, he needs to spread the field more and break out of that let me find the guy underneath constantly. If he does start the season i dont see any of our wr's breaking 1000 yds. Maybe davis because in hills mind it's find the te or underneath man first then spread the field later. And im not going off of last season. Im going off of the first two preseason games.

On passes like that I wonder what would happen to that WR if he pulled that garbage on a QB like Manning or Brady...you know that either of those two QB's would be in the face of that WR saying you better not pull that $hit ever again on one of my passes.

But for some reason, because it is Alex Smith that threw the ball all the sudden it is Smith's fault.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Battle sucks
Smith sucks
Hill was meh
Davis was
Coffee/Sheet

Smith (Safety) will be a stud.
Can i ask what the hell has happened to Jason Hill?

This guy has fallen off the face of the earth. He was relegated to 3rd team 4th quarter play. I haven't heard a word about him in training camp from either Matt or any quotes from any coach.

It seems at this point that Battle is going to be starting over Hill.

-9fA
ok im watching the game on replay right now (its the 2nd series) Im not seeing where people say Smith looked like s**t. He looks ok, on his first drive bruce and davis dropped catchable balls.

The Int, the ball was high but again it should have been caught.

Again Smith doesnt look great, he looks ok, he definately doesnt look as bad as people are saying.

I think The staff wants smith to win the job thats why they didnt name a starter yet, Hill looked ok as well not that great.
Share 49ersWebzone