LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 418 users in the forums

Mike Johnson OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think Johnson can be an effective OC in time, I'm just not sure if the 49ers have that time.

sing doesnt have that time, and whoever comes in will kill all traces of sing's empire.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think Johnson can be an effective OC in time, I'm just not sure if the 49ers have that time.

sing doesnt have that time, and whoever comes in will kill all traces of sing's empire.

Yes it needs to be done.
It takes a village to draw up Johnson's game plan

Offensive coordinator Mike Johnson described it like it was a team of super heroes, a veritable Fox Force Five of offensive football. Mike Solari is the running-game expert. Tom Rathman excels in blitz pick-up. Pete Hoener is the go-to guy when it comes to short yardage and goal-line plays. As far as thwarting coverages, there's no one better than Jerry Sullivan. Jason Michael, the new quarterbacks coach, specializes in red-zone offense.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/11/it-takes-a-vill.html#ixzz15feWl25P
The only reason why i dont want singletary fired at the end of the seaons is mike johnson. It looks like everyweek he is improving as an OC and in the future, i can see him being a great OC. If sing were to get fired at the end of the season. the new coach will be bringing in his own coaching staff and i doubt he will retain johnson. Is anyone else worried about this? what is the possibility that the new coach would retain mike johnson?
But if it's an offensive-minded head coach with a track record of success, Johnson becomes irrelevant. Not to mention, we'll finally have some stability at that position.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
But if it's an offensive-minded head coach with a track record of success, Johnson becomes irrelevant. Not to mention, we'll finally have some stability at that position.

exactly. Its the same reason that the Browns will hire Gruden, even though Mangini is doing well. Unless Holmgrin goes somewhere to coach
I'd like to see us actually convert a 3rd down before I get all excited about keeping him.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Johnson is getting better but if Sing is fired I don't think it means Johnson automatically leaves. Depends on the new coach but I'd take a proven offensive HC over Johnson right now.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I'd like to see us actually convert a 3rd down before I get all excited about keeping him.

3rd down conversions aren't needed if we get 6-8 plays of 30+ yards in a game.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yeah but it will still be a retread philosophy and type of offense. I think that also has a lot to do with QB mediocre play. Every coach does pretty much the same stuff.

I am also hoping that Johnson keeps improving because he seems to be a little more innovative and fresh. It would be nice to once again pave the way in how offenses do things.

Originally posted by Daniel2778:
The only reason why i dont want singletary fired at the end of the seaons is mike johnson. It looks like everyweek he is improving as an OC and in the future, i can see him being a great OC. If sing were to get fired at the end of the season. the new coach will be bringing in his own coaching staff and i doubt he will retain johnson. Is anyone else worried about this? what is the possibility that the new coach would retain mike johnson?

This thought has crossed my mind.
Originally posted by valrod33:
It takes a village to draw up Johnson's game plan

Offensive coordinator Mike Johnson described it like it was a team of super heroes, a veritable Fox Force Five of offensive football. Mike Solari is the running-game expert. Tom Rathman excels in blitz pick-up. Pete Hoener is the go-to guy when it comes to short yardage and goal-line plays. As far as thwarting coverages, there's no one better than Jerry Sullivan. Jason Michael, the new quarterbacks coach, specializes in red-zone offense.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/11/it-takes-a-vill.html#ixzz15feWl25P

"Walker, San Francisco's complement to Pro Bowl tight end Vernon Davis(notes), led the 49ers with four catches for 80 yards against the Rams. Walker was one of five players to have at least 60 yards receiving, the first time that has happened in a game in franchise history.

The 49ers are scoring 20.3 points a game since Johnson took control of the offense compared to 12.7 points in the first three games of the season under former co-ordinator Jimmy Raye

Johnson also is getting his offensive assistants more involved. Each is getting an opportunity to speak to the entire group during offensive team meetings. Walker said that never has happened before in his five years with the 49ers."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_49ers_offence-5177328

[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 18, 2010 at 17:13:14 ]
I suppose a new offensive minded HC could retain him if he produces an effective body of work this 2nd half of the season. He may have to learn the terminology of the new HC's system, and Johnson's young enough that he's not welded to one system already.

The new HC may be the actual game-day playcaller but he'll still allow Johnson free rein over the detailed planning.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
I suppose a new offensive minded HC could retain him if he produces an effective body of work this 2nd half of the season. He may have to learn the terminology of the new HC's system, and Johnson's young enough that he's not welded to one system already.

The new HC may be the actual game-day playcaller but he'll still allow Johnson free rein over the detailed planning.

It's a good ole boy network. It ain't happening. Coaches call the first people they know and their job is on the line so they aren't going to risk sticking with an "unknown" at what could be the most important coaching position on the team.
Johnson is doing a decent job it's just that Sing and Raye had the smash mouth philosophy and Alex always checked down. It's funny how Sing is acting like he had nothing to do with the play calling and that Raye just never opened up the offense CYA Sing. Also someone mentioned that we are going to get a retread coach, I don't believe so. We'll either get Gruden or Mornhinweg they are experienced HC but I wouldn't consider them retread.
Share 49ersWebzone