LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Hell must be freezing over...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Because I actually agree with Peter King on a 49ers related post

King's take.

6. I think I can't believe the sentiment out there for Alex Smith to win the 49er quarterback job. Unless Smith has had an arm transplant with Jay Cutler, how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons think he's better than Shaun Hill? I'm not saying he can't win the job. But the sentiment in the Bay Area is so strong that Smith enters camp with the edge. It's not based on what has happened on the field. At all.

One of the greatest mysteries of the WZ and beyond... has any player performed so poorly and accomplished so little yet has been so vigorously defended and supported? I have never seen anything like it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The guy has been on IR the last 2 seasons give him a break.
  • Wiseman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mayo63:
The guy has been on IR the last 2 seasons give him a break.

Ok, then how about the years before that? The arm transplant comment is sadly accurate, but more to the point it's the poise in the pocket and ability to "feel" the pressure and even just the game around him. He hasn't shown it other than one or two flashes.

If he doesn't have IT he just doesn't.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It's obvious this is his last chance so let's see what the guy can do. If he does good than we don't have to worry about taking a Qb in next years draft.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
It's obvious this is his last chance so let's see what the guy can do. If he does good than we don't have to worry about taking a Qb in next years draft.

In all honesty I think it boils down to that. Hill certainly isn't our long term answer. Why not give Smith one last chance. If Smith shows something, we may not need to take a QB next year. If Smith struggles or if Hill starts in my opinion we do need to take a QB next year.
I think Hill should start the season regardless of camp and take it from there. If we are winning, we keep hill in there, if we are struggling then Smith gets his chance.
I also believe HCMS has made a huge mistake not naming Hill the starter already.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Hill should be the last resort. Smith has the better arm, mobility the only question is whether he can get over his accuracy, and long ball issues and move the club. If he can't then we've exhausted everything from Smith and Hill then should come in a finish off the season and we look foward to taking a Qb high in the first round in next's years draft.
Originally posted by krizay:

In all honesty I think it boils down to that. Hill certainly isn't our long term answer. Why not give Smith one last chance. If Smith shows something, we may not need to take a QB next year. If Smith struggles or if Hill starts in my opinion we do need to take a QB next year.

Exactly! We don't want to be caught being fully invested in Shaun Hill. Let's find out what our future QB situation is.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

Exactly! We don't want to be caught being fully invested in Shaun Hill. Let's find out what our future QB situation is.

Who give's us the best chance to win NOW? That is who should play. When put like that it is obvious that Hill should start the season.

How do you explain to the players that we aren't going to give you the best chance to win now because we want to find out about the future of Alex Smith. HCMS wont do it. If he does he is going against everything he has said up to this point.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cooljon16:

Who give's us the best chance to win NOW? That is who should play. When put like that it is obvious that Hill should start the season.

How do you explain to the players that we aren't going to give you the best chance to win now because we want to find out about the future of Alex Smith. HCMS wont do it. If he does he is going against everything he has said up to this point.

I could see your thinking if we were a Super Bowl contender and we just needed a Qb to complete the team, but we're not and finding out if Smith has what it takes after two seasons of being hurt, have you, must be the teams primary goal for the season. We must know by next year if we have to go in another direction in the Qb position. The season will play that out.
Originally posted by cooljon16:

I could see your thinking if we were a Super Bowl contender and we just needed a Qb to complete the team, but we're not and finding out if Smith has what it takes after two seasons of being hurt, have you, must be the teams primary goal for the season. We must know by next year if we have to go in another direction in the Qb position. The season will play that out.

Were the Cardinals "super bowl contenders" last year? I know we've sucked for awhile but we have a talented roster finally that can go the distance. Not saying they will, but we can compete and beat any team out there now.

Furthermore, our primary goal has been and always will be: winning super bowls (years and years of losing does tend to make you lower standards)

I think Hill has proven that he should be the starter and if he isn't getting the job done i have no problem giving smith another chance.

[ Edited by cooljon16 on Jul 27, 2009 at 07:40:07 ]
I have to see it on the field during games. His accuracy was always shaky and he consistently over threw his WR's. And his pocket pressence has been terrible. If he's beating out Hill those problems better be fixed. If so he should be good enough
People remember how Alex progressed with Norv and thats why Sing brought in Raye. Sing wants to get back to that year bc that was the year we ALL saw progress, not just from Alex, but the whole TEAM as a whole.

Alex is way more talented that Shaun, but he needs more than just that and thats why Sing is giving Alex every opportunity to challenge for the starting position, which is the right move...IMO!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Jul 27, 2009 at 08:01:03 ]
At first, I was against Smith being the starter over Hill. But now, I'm open-minded to the thought. Since Smith was on IR for nearly two seasons, let's give him two seasons to make up for lost time. This way, he'll have two CONSECUTIVE years w/ the same OC and if he performs poorly, it's all on him. But if he does well, he'll take over as our starter w/ little doubt from that point on. Either way, all the Smith supporters and bashers will finally get some rest from this never-ending debate and can hug and kiss and we can all be friends again.
Share 49ersWebzone