LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 371 users in the forums

Hell must be freezing over...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erScott:
Because I actually agree with Peter King on a 49ers related post

King's take.

6. I think I can't believe the sentiment out there for Alex Smith to win the 49er quarterback job. Unless Smith has had an arm transplant with Jay Cutler, how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons think he's better than Shaun Hill? I'm not saying he can't win the job. But the sentiment in the Bay Area is so strong that Smith enters camp with the edge. It's not based on what has happened on the field. At all.

One of the greatest mysteries of the WZ and beyond... has any player performed so poorly and accomplished so little yet has been so vigorously defended and supported? I have never seen anything like it.

maybe because his arm was being held together with scotch tape and he didnt play much the last two seasons?
Alex is tough, Started every game for us one season. First qb ever to take every snap. Found it impressive of smith. If he truly blongs on the field he will have to play for it, rather then it be a giving. Good luck to hill and smith, i hope you stay healthy and we get a qb out of this.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

King's take.

6. I think I can't believe the sentiment out there for Alex Smith to win the 49er quarterback job. Unless Smith has had an arm transplant with Jay Cutler, how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons think he's better than Shaun Hill? I'm not saying he can't win the job. But the sentiment in the Bay Area is so strong that Smith enters camp with the edge. It's not based on what has happened on the field. At all.

One of the greatest mysteries of the WZ and beyond... has any player performed so poorly and accomplished so little yet has been so vigorously defended and supported? I have never seen anything like it.

maybe because his arm was being held together with scotch tape and he didnt play much the last two seasons?

I agree, HK. I used to think King was an astute follower of the game, but his comment here is really embarrassing. A simple google search would have showed King that Alex has not been healthy the last two seasons.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 27, 2009 at 14:08:10 ]
Are people really this retarded? Alex hasnt played healthy since our 2007 game against the Steelers. LOL I dont get how people just use the last 2 years as leverage against Smith...uhh...he didnt play. Unless of course, we are referring to his "sideline demeanor." Maybe he picked his nose on the sideline and King caught that who knows.

I want Hill to start because he deserves it but to pretend like Alex was playing the past 2 years is just plain dumb.

And is Peter King stupid? Why wouldnt the front office be rooting for Alex. He's younger, more talented, and wont make them go down as having drafted one of the biggest busts of the past 10-20 years. IF Alex wins and does well, you have your QB for the next 10+ years. It makes economic and football sense. Everyone looks like a hero....e.g. Scott, Sing, Raye, etc etc. Everyone.

If Alex ends up being bust, then Nolan looks like the one who knew what he was talking about.

So yeah...it makes perfect sense for the Niners front office to be rooting for Smith.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

King's take.

I agree, HK. I used to think King was an astute follower of the game, but his comment here is really embarrassing. A simple google search would have showed King that Alex has not been healthy the last two seasons.

He said "last two seasons" because that's when Shaun Hill played. King's statements are more about Hill playing well than Smith playing like crap.

King's take.

First and formost Peter King is Almost Always Wrong. If you agree with him you have lost your mind with no hope of recovery. If you want to agree with anybody let it be someone who covers the team not some jack off behind a desk who reads e-mail and blogs about players just like you. Remember

Smith was a leader on the team in 2006 when he became the first quarterback in 49ers history to take every snap for an entire season. But his career has been derailed by injuries. He underwent surgeries on his throwing shoulder both of the past two seasons. He said this year he feels markedly better than a year ago.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
With all due respect, I think many of you have it completely when you focus on arm strength. It's never been about arm strength with Alex (except of course, with the injury).There can be no debate as to who wins the arm strength comparison between Hill and Smith. However, where Smith has faltered, and there's no reason to think he won't again, is in pocket presence, field vision, timing and accuracy. Timing and accuracy can certainly be improved with reps with his receivers and a better understanding of the offense, but I have serious doubts about the intangibles, which are equally, if not more, important. On his better days, he couldn't seem to sense a Rhino coming at him from the side or back; none of that "sixth sense" that's so critical for QB's. And that same "tunnel vision" prevented him from seeing the entire field when scanning for receivers. Additionally, even when he had the time, he consistently under or over threw receivers. So, other than an admitted improvement under Norv (and let's face it, anything would have been an improvement, so going from abysmal to ok was hardly earthshaking), what has Alex shown to warrant such loyalty or confidence? Hill earned the starting job and should start. If he doesn't get it done, then give Alex his final shot to prove himself. It will also give him the extra time even his college coach concedes he needs to become comfortable with a new offense. This seems to be the most logical scenario and would ultimately be the most fair one for all concerned.

I don't think ANYONE would fault you for having doubts about Alex. That's not a problem at all... you should have doubts. Things get stupid when someone insists beyond reason that "this guy WILL suck" or that guy "IS far better". I personally have doubts about BOTH of them, and am happy to know that Singletary and McC do as well... or there would be no competition. May the best man win.

Oldman...U iz wize.....

He is wise because he ispeaks the truth,which is why he is one of the limited number of posters in ninertalk whose opinion is easily respected.The voice of reason speaks loudest especially when put up against the hollow words of the extremist so full of sound and fury but empty of significance.It's a fool that speaks in absolutes when speaking of something they have only passing knowledge in,and that foolishness always comes back to haunt them when the truth unfolds itself.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Are people really this retarded? Alex hasnt played healthy since our 2007 game against the Steelers. LOL I dont get how people just use the last 2 years as leverage against Smith...uhh...he didnt play. Unless of course, we are referring to his "sideline demeanor." Maybe he picked his nose on the sideline and King caught that who knows.

I want Hill to start because he deserves it but to pretend like Alex was playing the past 2 years is just plain dumb.

And is Peter King stupid? Why wouldnt the front office be rooting for Alex. He's younger, more talented, and wont make them go down as having drafted one of the biggest busts of the past 10-20 years. IF Alex wins and does well, you have your QB for the next 10+ years. It makes economic and football sense. Everyone looks like a hero....e.g. Scott, Sing, Raye, etc etc. Everyone.

If Alex ends up being bust, then Nolan looks like the one who knew what he was talking about.

So yeah...it makes perfect sense for the Niners front office to be rooting for Smith.

It is pretty funny that people have any reaction to the 49er front office rooting for Alex Smith to succeed as a bad thing. They have paid him millions of dollars. If they weren't rooting for him to succeed, then why keep him around at all? Goofy.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
He is wise because he ispeaks the truth,which is why he is one of the limited number of posters in ninertalk whose opinion is easily respected.The voice of reason speaks loudest especially when put up against the hollow words of the extremist so full of sound and fury but empty of significance.It's a fool that speaks in absolutes when speaking of something they have only passing knowledge in,and that foolishness always comes back to haunt them when the truth unfolds itself.

Holy crap, oldman! Can you imagine someone saying this on the forums.49ers.com boards? Wow. That's high praise. Awesome.
For everyone with high praise, there is always someone to call me an idiot or threaten me with a mallet, haha. It's the nature of the beast. Memphis is and has been in the upper tier of excellent and reasonable posters here (a sad + short list here)... so his words do not go unappreciated.

Too many people like King just look at the game stats and come to a conclusion. Dont get me wrong, I have no problem with Hill winning the starting job, but Smith has a reason for his failures so far at least. Assuming Smith is completely healthy and that the Niners can actually manage to hold onto a OC for a couple of years straight then I think Smith gives the team the best chance to win 2-3 years from now. I just feel like Hill makes for a great backup and either Smith or next years first round pick gives the team the best chance for the future.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
For everyone with high praise, there is always someone to call me an idiot or threaten me with a mallet, haha. It's the nature of the beast. Memphis is and has been in the upper tier of excellent and reasonable posters here (a sad + short list here)... so his words do not go unappreciated.

Sports talk is no different then political talk. Those that agree with us are geniuses, and we all pat each other on the back. And those that argue with us are idiots by default, because they are saying what we know is true is actually wrong.
  • DaDuke
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Amen!
Originally posted by backontop:

King's take.

hasn't he been on IR for the past 2 years? This guy is an assclown and doens't deserve to have a spotlight on any 49er forum
+1

he is trying to sound smart by making false statements

imo the only bad season smith had was 2005 IN 2006 we had 7-9 and he had 16td and 16 int thats not great but isnt horrible and we went 7-9 mainly cause our D sucked hence we got willis and clements. Net year he went 2-1 and 1 loss to the steelers who are an elite team.This is the best o line and the best WRcorps hes had ever seriously im pretty sure the best WR hes had so far is battle who proally wont even make the team this year. Honestly he deserves another chance
lets use logic
you agree with peter king
peter king is always wrong about the 49ers
therefore you are wrong

Also!!! for everyone saying this or that QB gives us the best chance to win!
did you learn nothing from the JTO experience!!
Share 49ersWebzone