LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 138 users in the forums

Hell must be freezing over...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wiseman:
Originally posted by mayo63:
The guy has been on IR the last 2 seasons give him a break.

Ok, then how about the years before that? The arm transplant comment is sadly accurate, but more to the point it's the poise in the pocket and ability to "feel" the pressure and even just the game around him. He hasn't shown it other than one or two flashes.

If he doesn't have IT he just doesn't.

how bout he had a line in 06 and a receiver= 3000 yards. then he went 2-1 and got hurt......... a problem here, besides injury, think not. Leave the coordinators out of this debate, dont need that my statement explains all that is needed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Peter King is an idiot. Alex was becoming a good QB before he injured his shoulder in early '07.

And people are still taking what happened his first season and saying he won't be a good quarterback. That's what so frustrating to me. He hasn't played in 2 years, but when he last played he was looking like a starting caliber Qb.

So in this reverse logic world, someone who hasn't played in over a year, who also has never established himself in the league should be looked at as potential starter. Oh how desperate the 49ers have become.

If you were the god damn #1 overall pick you should.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jul 27, 2009 at 11:32:21 ]
Originally posted by cooljon16:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Originally posted by krizay:
It's obvious this is his last chance so let's see what the guy can do. If he does good than we don't have to worry about taking a Qb in next years draft.

In all honesty I think it boils down to that. Hill certainly isn't our long term answer. Why not give Smith one last chance. If Smith shows something, we may not need to take a QB next year. If Smith struggles or if Hill starts in my opinion we do need to take a QB next year.

Exactly! We don't want to be caught being fully invested in Shaun Hill. Let's find out what our future QB situation is.

Who give's us the best chance to win NOW? That is who should play. When put like that it is obvious that Hill should start the season.

How do you explain to the players that we aren't going to give you the best chance to win now because we want to find out about the future of Alex Smith. HCMS wont do it. If he does he is going against everything he has said up to this point.

I could see your thinking if we were a Super Bowl contender and we just needed a Qb to complete the team, but we're not and finding out if Smith has what it takes after two seasons of being hurt, have you, must be the teams primary goal for the season. We must know by next year if we have to go in another direction in the Qb position. The season will play that out.

Were the Cardinals "super bowl contenders" last year? I know we've sucked for awhile but we have a talented roster finally that can go the distance. Not saying they will, but we can compete and beat any team out there now.

Furthermore, our primary goal has been and always will be: winning super bowls (years and years of losing does tend to make you lower standards)

I think Hill has proven that he should be the starter and if he isn't getting the job done i have no problem giving smith another chance.

The Cardinals defense stepped up big-time. That was really why they made it, once you tack on the fact that they already HAD a Super-bowl winning QB in addition to multiple pro bowl receivers on offense. We have neither. The comparison doesn't work.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
It's obvious this is his last chance so let's see what the guy can do. If he does good than we don't have to worry about taking a Qb in next years draft.

In all honesty I think it boils down to that. Hill certainly isn't our long term answer. Why not give Smith one last chance. If Smith shows something, we may not need to take a QB next year. If Smith struggles or if Hill starts in my opinion we do need to take a QB next year.

Exactly! We don't want to be caught being fully invested in Shaun Hill. Let's find out what our future QB situation is.

Who give's us the best chance to win NOW? That is who should play. When put like that it is obvious that Hill should start the season.

How do you explain to the players that we aren't going to give you the best chance to win now because we want to find out about the future of Alex Smith. HCMS wont do it. If he does he is going against everything he has said up to this point.

I could see your thinking if we were a Super Bowl contender and we just needed a Qb to complete the team, but we're not and finding out if Smith has what it takes after two seasons of being hurt, have you, must be the teams primary goal for the season. We must know by next year if we have to go in another direction in the Qb position. The season will play that out.

Were the Cardinals "super bowl contenders" last year? I know we've sucked for awhile but we have a talented roster finally that can go the distance. Not saying they will, but we can compete and beat any team out there now.

Furthermore, our primary goal has been and always will be: winning super bowls (years and years of losing does tend to make you lower standards)

I think Hill has proven that he should be the starter and if he isn't getting the job done i have no problem giving smith another chance.

The Cardinals defense stepped up big-time. That was really why they made it, once you tack on the fact that they already HAD a Super-bowl winning QB in addition to multiple pro bowl receivers on offense. We have neither. The comparison doesn't work.

Thanks, OnTheClock. I meant to respond to that. But, your right - better overall team with everything that you mentioned.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jul 27, 2009 at 11:44:11 ]
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

At the risk of being bashed by some here, the 49ers took a QB in this draft, which contrary to what some think, has a ton of talent. If Hill and/or Smith struggles this year, it is possible that Nate Davis could take over next year and be a productive QB after spending a year learning the system, while a QB taken in next year's draft will have to learn the system and get comfortable before he could be productive, and if Davis looks like he's progressing well, why take another QB next year? I've seen him play live and in person, a lot, and I think he could surprise a lot of niner fans. I know a lot of folks here think he's no better than a practice squad QB, and I'm not saying he is the answer if Smith and/or Hill don't pan out, just saying from what I saw of him in his 3 years in college, I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to do it, and do it well.

I'm crossing my fingers that he'll succeed as our QB if we need to depend on him down the road. I don't think Huard will be around after this yr.
According to the Alex SMith haters:

wanting to give smith 1 full healthy season with a good team = we think he is Tom Brady

Can't wait to see them both play in the preseason. Best of luck to whoever wins
Originally posted by WestCoast:
According to the Alex SMith haters:

wanting to give smith 1 full healthy season with a good team = we think he is Tom Brady

+1
  • CHIPDOUGLAS_510
  • Info N/A
Let's just wait until Coach Sing names a starter...
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Unfortunately, as we saw last year, the best man doesn't always win the starting role. The JTO debaucle from last year serves as a shining example.

I'm on the Hill bandwagon until he proves that he doesn't belong in a starting role and loses his job. Otherwise, give him a chance. He's a gamer.

I also believe HCMS has made a huge mistake not naming Hill the starter already.

2nd That !
It's obvious this is his last chance

That's been said before.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Peter King is an idiot. Alex was becoming a good QB before he injured his shoulder in early '07.

And people are still taking what happened his first season and saying he won't be a good quarterback. That's what so frustrating to me. He hasn't played in 2 years, but when he last played he was looking like a starting caliber Qb.

So in this reverse logic world, someone who hasn't played in over a year, who also has never established himself in the league should be looked at as potential starter. Oh how desperate the 49ers have become.

If you were the god damn #1 overall pick you should.

They restructured his contract because he wasn't considered a sure bet at starter by the team he plays for. He was drafted four years ago. Order in which he was picked in the draft is pretty much irrelevent now in deciding if he is a starter or not. And it's about tome they got past that #1 pick baggage, and start looking at what a player can do now on the field, not in some theoretical future scenerio.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Peter King is a man who WISHES he were John Clayton, or Chris Mortensen, or even Adam Schefter. Peter King is a man who says the most popular sentiment as though it were astute analysis. He's terrible.

"how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons think he's better than Shaun Hill?"

My question for this loser is "how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons forget that Smith hasn't been playing?"

Three healthy games in Two seasons, and Peter King thinks he's smart.

FTL, Peter King. FTL.
Originally posted by 49erScott:
Because I actually agree with Peter King on a 49ers related post

King's take.

6. I think I can't believe the sentiment out there for Alex Smith to win the 49er quarterback job. Unless Smith has had an arm transplant with Jay Cutler, how can anyone who has watched the last two San Francisco seasons think he's better than Shaun Hill? I'm not saying he can't win the job. But the sentiment in the Bay Area is so strong that Smith enters camp with the edge. It's not based on what has happened on the field. At all.

One of the greatest mysteries of the WZ and beyond... has any player performed so poorly and accomplished so little yet has been so vigorously defended and supported? I have never seen anything like it.

hasn't he been on IR for the past 2 years? This guy is an assclown and doens't deserve to have a spotlight on any 49er forum
Share 49ersWebzone