There are 208 users in the forums

Sacks for Justin Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Sacks for Justin Smith

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
First off, Smith was not ALWAYS a 3-4 DE. He played it for his first 2 years in Cincy under then HC Dick Lebeau. When Marvin Lewis took over he moved to 4-3 DE (and played some DT in nickel situations like he does for us).

Secondly his role as a 3-4 DE means he won't get big sacks numbers. He also plays inside on nickel downs like I mentioned above. Seems some people are confused by us paying big money to a DE and what his role is in this defense.

I couldve sworn I said this was part of Cincinnati's problem. And I even asked since when is 7 not enough. I guess you missed that...its ok...

Maybe I should say it this way...

He was always a NATURAL 3-4 DE. I thought he played out of his element in a 4-3. A 3-4 has always suited him and it showed last season when he played that 5-tech full time. He is a good POA penetrator that can hold up against the run as well as take on double teams.

I know what roles are as it pertains to players and schemes...I'm new here but far from a NOOB...I just happen to think some players may play the same spot but better suited to one scheme as opposed to another...in this case 3-4 to 4-3 DE.

I tend to think that the 4-3 is a better fit for Justin when used on the edge on running downs and inside as a 3 tech on passing downs as it suits his skill set well. And I apologize for the post as it was not clear, the 2nd part wasn't aimed at you but someone who posted above you.
Originally posted by Chief:
I don't care, he is a badass and a warrior.

This!
6 sacks and lots of pressure.
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

This!

This too.
Since many on the board have been overcome by complete blind homerism, throwing objectivity to the wind, I'll embrace their philosophy and say 68 sacks in 2009.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
6 sacks and lots of pressure.

Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:

This!

This too.

+1
6-8
im sayin probly 5-8 range hopefully. but we dont only need him for sacks
I wouldn't care he didn't get a single sack this year, as long as he's applying pressure to the QB and making him throw it early or poorly. Pressure will throw off the timing of a play. As long as he does that, the sack numbers don't matter to me.

I want Justing Smith to stay at 3/4 end. I will also be interested in how his protoge does - K. Balmer. If he can develop a motor, and a skill set to match JS Balmer will be a lot of fun to watch. I hope for 15 sacks by the Dline this year, 8 out of JS, and 7 out of the other linemen. I would think that Balmer is the variable in the Dline. He could be the surprise player on the line. I also hope for 25 sacks out of the LBs. I am hoping for 10 sacks from Harolson, 7 from Lawson, and 4-5 each out of Willis and Spikes. So that would be about 40 sacks and if so that would increase the pressure as well. I have high hopes.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
First off, Smith was not ALWAYS a 3-4 DE. He played it for his first 2 years in Cincy under then HC Dick Lebeau. When Marvin Lewis took over he moved to 4-3 DE (and played some DT in nickel situations like he does for us).

Secondly his role as a 3-4 DE means he won't get big sacks numbers. He also plays inside on nickel downs like I mentioned above. Seems some people are confused by us paying big money to a DE and what his role is in this defense.

I couldve sworn I said this was part of Cincinnati's problem. And I even asked since when is 7 not enough. I guess you missed that...its ok...

Maybe I should say it this way...

He was always a NATURAL 3-4 DE. I thought he played out of his element in a 4-3. A 3-4 has always suited him and it showed last season when he played that 5-tech full time. He is a good POA penetrator that can hold up against the run as well as take on double teams.

I know what roles are as it pertains to players and schemes...I'm new here but far from a NOOB...I just happen to think some players may play the same spot but better suited to one scheme as opposed to another...in this case 3-4 to 4-3 DE.

Yes he's the perfect DE. One gap or Two.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I want Justing Smith to stay at 3/4 end. I will also be interested in how his protoge does - K. Balmer. If he can develop a motor, and a skill set to match JS Balmer will be a lot of fun to watch. I hope for 15 sacks by the Dline this year, 8 out of JS, and 7 out of the other linemen. I would think that Balmer is the variable in the Dline. He could be the surprise player on the line. I also hope for 25 sacks out of the LBs. I am hoping for 10 sacks from Harolson, 7 from Lawson, and 4-5 each out of Willis and Spikes. So that would be about 40 sacks and if so that would increase the pressure as well. I have high hopes.

I agree, i hope all of those things happen

great post BTW
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Your hoping for a lot, you may be in for disappointment by setting the bar high. Spikes & Willis likely will combine for 4-5 sacks not get 4-5 EACH. As for the D-line it will be the same as last year where outside of Smith they had what 3 sacks combined I believe ? And as for Lawson he still has a lot to prove as a pass rusher. With little to no upgrades this offseason I am not expecting us to really increase the 30 team sacks from last year by much. There is a chance Balmer and Lawson really come around and turn it on but I'm not going to bank on it and keep my expectations low and reasonable.
I think Justin Smith will get 12 sacks this year.
Share 49ersWebzone