There are 217 users in the forums

SI.com article mentions Shaun Hill

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • niner_rick
  • Info N/A
Ross Tucker (excellant SI.com writer) had an article about watching players on Coaches Film, very good article.

Anyway he interviews Merrill Hodge of ESPN about a number of players and what is evidant on tape. They Discuss Hill and to summerize:

Hill has a weak arm and that will limit the offense. Especially on 3rd and long. I agree and think this is one reason Smith will beat out Hill. SI Article

also has quite a few other good points.
Originally posted by King49er:
That was very insightful.

I now know why Sports Illustrated is renowned for their expert analysis.
EXTRA EXTRA read all about it, Shaun Hill doesn't have a canon for an arm! Puleez tell us something we don't know...like Shaun Hill likes fly fishing.

Way to tell us something we're not aware of!
Way to treat someone because they post something you didn't want to hear guys!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner_rick:
Ross Tucker (excellant SI.com writer) had an article about watching players on Coaches Film, very good article.

Anyway he interviews Merrill Hodge of ESPN about a number of players and what is evidant on tape. They Discuss Hill and to summerize:

Hill has a weak arm and that will limit the offense. Especially on 3rd and long. I agree and think this is one reason Smith will beat out Hill. SI Article

good post. love to hear when an expert says hill gets beat out by smith prediction. not a new intangible but good to hear.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I think it's just getting old to some of us on here. I stopped posting here for about 2 months because I needed a f*cking break from the whole Smith vs. Hill, or Hill's got a noodle arm bullsh*t. The man wins games, and Smith loses them, and some folks around here want to beat the guy up (Hill) like he called thier mom a b*tch, as they defend Smith. Then you try to argue a point, and people toss around these crazy *ss what if's. It's enough to make you want to

I have really just been trying to let the offseason play out and get this thing over with once and for all. The funny thing is that I leave for 2 months because I'm over it, only to return to the same ol' arguments. I hope when Singletary finally does pick a QB, that's who he stays with unless there is an injury to the starter. I can't deal with this crap for another offseason.
[ Edited by P-52ENFORCER on Jul 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM ]

yeap.

This just in....Shaun Hill is considering surgically adding bionic components to his throwing arm for more strength as the QB battle heats up!

LINK
numbers game. how often does a pass go for over 30 yards? not often right? and shaun hill is accurate between the 5-30 yards right? so if he's accurate for 90% of the game and alex smith is not accurate between the 5-30 yard range. then what does arm strength really matter if you're RARELY THROWING A LONG BOMB! ALL THIS STUPID ARM STRENGTH TALK IS BULLSHHHHHHHHH-it. ACCURACY IS WHAT MATTERS IN THE LEAGUE! NOT SOMEONE WHO COULD LAUNCH IT! if we wanted a person who could throw the long ball we would go and trade for jamarcus russell! he has a arm. not accurate! that's why garcia is fighting for the #1 spot for the raiders! NO STRONG ARM! accurate between 5-30 yards!

YES IM MAD!
Originally posted by niner_rick:

Having a weak arm will certainly limit the O... Hill has, at times stretched the field; but, it doesn't scare teams like Kurt Warner does.

I think it comes down to what is the lesser of 2 evils. What I mean is, whats worse? A weak accurate arm or a strong inaccurate arm? IMO, last year JTO showed us why we prefer the weak accurate guy...
First of all, Ross Tucker did speak with Greg Cossell, who is a Senior Producer at NFL Films and works with Hoge. This means he gets access to the real good stuff, the coaches tape and he has been working at NFL Films for 30 years, so I would guess he should have a little experience watching tape

Then, since the Niners blurb is short and its not a pay site, why not post it here:

Quote:
"He has limitations throwing the football. When your quarterback is limited physically, that will eventually show up. If you want to play that guy, you need a very complete offense and a defense that keeps games close so that you can afford to stay on schedule from a down and distance standpoint. You have to understand with Shaun Hill it is going to be difficult to convert long-yardage situations."

I think his opinion is much more detailed than just saying "Hill has a weak arm and limits the offense".

I think the entire article is interesting. Cossell basically states his opinion on a few questions from Tucker, but he has some good observations.

For example, he said the eternal NFL obsession Bret Favre actually had trouble last year with his throws to the outside and that in his opinion, the problems began not in the last few games, but actually started to show since Week six, which I found interesting.

Also, I liked how he described the "zone exchange". Cossell used that term to explain the new schemes people like Rex Ryan or Dick LeBeau come up with all the time to rush the passer, where they sort of zone-blitz, but with only four people rushing so there is actually no real blitzing and you still have seven guys in coverage. I donĀ“t know why, but I like how zone exchange sounds
Share 49ersWebzone