49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 542 users in the forums

Gore and Coffee: The San Francisco 49ers NEW Dynamic Duo!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by soao:
I actually think Coffee resembles Roger Craig more than he does Gore. He doesn't have the high knee action of RC but he is upright. I'm like several posters that wonders how much success a 210 pounder can have with that style of running in the NFL. He does seem to have a knack for the seem and positive yards. I think he'll do OK if he hangs on to the ball. Not elite like Frank, but good.

how do u know he wont be elite? 31 teams passed on gore twice and he became elite. theres nothing wrong with running upright. craig did it, ricky watters did it, dickerson did it, adrian peterson did it. and all of those guys were great runningbacks. he'll do just fine. i cant wait to see him put pads on and go to work

I personally dont think he will be that good. OK, but not good. Sure, Coffee runs hard at people, but he often goes down with the same guy he is attacking. Look at the film, he falls forward but he falls all the same. I think the one thing he has going for him is he doesnt dance... NO BARLOW HERE!!! The best thing a rookie back can do is get positive yardage once he is in the game.

Coffee will get us positive yardage, and probably be a decent sub when Frank needs a breather but he is NOT gonna be the All-Pro that some people on here think he will be....

Im more excited to see Sheets and Clayton this year than I am Coffee, cause I already know what Coffee is gonna bring--- 4 yards and a cloud of dust (i pray he holds onto the ball!!)
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.



He won't mow over tacklers a la Brandon Jacobs, but he does finish and makes contact in the secondary really hard. After three quarters of that, they are in for a heck of a lot more in the fourth.

Me likey, alot!

I think we are gunna regret not taking Rashad Jennings....thats who i really wanted he has Brandon Jacobs written all over him.

I really dont think Glen Coffee is going to get the ball that much. Its gunna be Frank Gore all day.......everyone will see. the more Gore gets the ball the better he does, we need to feed him.

FRANK GORE IS GUNNA HAVE A MONSTER YEAR, 25 CARRIES A GAME.
[ Edited by Grigga2021 on Jul 7, 2009 at 12:36 PM ]
  • FrostyNZ
  • Info N/A
I just watched all the clips and while I agree there is similarity between Gore and Coffee, Franks real upside is his yards after the first big hit.

His ability to beat this DB and continue up field is excellant. The highlights of Coffee did not show this and he very rarely was able to bounce from that big contact.

Bearing mind this was only a highlights reel. He has speed and an eye for the gap I would like to see him fend DB's with his free hand. No shame in running around players!!
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.



He won't mow over tacklers a la Brandon Jacobs, but he does finish and makes contact in the secondary really hard. After three quarters of that, they are in for a heck of a lot more in the fourth.

Me likey, alot!


He's a violent runner indeed...he'll even be more productive when he puts the stiff arm in his arsenal.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.



He won't mow over tacklers a la Brandon Jacobs, but he does finish and makes contact in the secondary really hard. After three quarters of that, they are in for a heck of a lot more in the fourth.

Me likey, alot!


He's a violent runner indeed...he'll even be more productive when he puts the stiff arm in his arsenal.

There's only one thing about "violent" college runners under 210 pounds. Most NFL safeties can be LBs in college and are also about 210+. If you aren't a 230+ lb RB in the NFL, I wouldn't be looking for contact often.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.



He won't mow over tacklers a la Brandon Jacobs, but he does finish and makes contact in the secondary really hard. After three quarters of that, they are in for a heck of a lot more in the fourth.

Me likey, alot!


He's a violent runner indeed...he'll even be more productive when he puts the stiff arm in his arsenal.

There's only one thing about "violent" college runners under 210 pounds. Most NFL safeties can be LBs in college and are also about 210+. If you aren't a 230+ lb RB in the NFL, I wouldn't be looking for contact often.

Well then Mr. Cool, we will just have to wait and see until the preseason starts...

The thing is that given Coffee's history as a runner, he will look for contact no matter what. He does not strike me as a man to back down from anyone let alone a DB. I do see your point concerning the weight differential. No mater what, the fact is that Coffee has to prove himself on the NFL field which he's not seen yet.

Let's continue this after a few preseason games...we shall see how he performs...
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.



He won't mow over tacklers a la Brandon Jacobs, but he does finish and makes contact in the secondary really hard. After three quarters of that, they are in for a heck of a lot more in the fourth.

Me likey, alot!


He's a violent runner indeed...he'll even be more productive when he puts the stiff arm in his arsenal.

There's only one thing about "violent" college runners under 210 pounds. Most NFL safeties can be LBs in college and are also about 210+. If you aren't a 230+ lb RB in the NFL, I wouldn't be looking for contact often.

Well then Mr. Cool, we will just have to wait and see until the preseason starts...

The thing is that given Coffee's history as a runner, he will look for contact no matter what. He does not strike me as a man to back down from anyone let alone a DB. I do see your point concerning the weight differential. No mater what, the fact is that Coffee has to prove himself on the NFL field which he's not seen yet.

Let's continue this after a few preseason games...we shall see how he performs...

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
WTF !! I made that video of frank gore and that b*****d stole it !!! it was deleted off youtube a few years ago due to copyright !!!!!!!!!!!


Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.

Every LB he will face will be bigger and stronger than what he faced in college. Every LB will be like the best defensive player on any team he played in college. It's not the same game. I have high hopes for Coffee, but I agree that he's got to add to his already impressive game to excel at the next level.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.

Every LB he will face will be bigger and stronger than what he faced in college. Every LB will be like the best defensive player on any team he played in college. It's not the same game. I have high hopes for Coffee, but I agree that he's got to add to his already impressive game to excel at the next level.[/quote]

That about sums it up for me.....
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.

The way I look at it is that Coffee will hit a hole as hard as he can trying to make contact first with the incoming ILB rather than trying to escape and run into his own OL or FB where sometimes there just isn't enough room. Reminds me of Barlow.

I would rather the RB keep moving forward even if it means taking on the LB head on, but the fact is this kid can flat out hit with violence. This will only keep pounding on the D while Gore rests.

I understand and agree with the point that more hits mean more wear, of course it does.

I just like the fact that we have two very hard-nosed, violent runners. It makes for a better tandem especially in the fourth.
[ Edited by ninertico on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:10 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.

The way I look at it is that Coffee will hit a hole as hard as he can trying to make contact first with the incoming ILB rather than trying to escape and run into his own OL or FB where sometimes there just isn't enough room. Reminds me of Barlow.

I would rather the RB keep moving forward even if it means taking on the LB head on, but the fact is this kid can flat out hit with violence. This will only keep pounding on the D while Gore rests.

I understand and agree with the point that more hits mean more wear, of course it does.

I just like the fact that we have two very hard-nosed, violent runners. It makes for a better tandem especially in the fourth.

I agree on how he hits the holes. I just don't think he should do this:

Sees a open hole and the ILB about to fill the hole. He actually steps towards the LB and puts his head down and tries to bowl the guy over rather than putting his head down and slightly turns his shoulders just before contact to slip the tackle and gain an extra yard.

It was just that in some of those highlights, he could have made a cut on a perusing FS, gained more yards but he actually steps into the FS or tackler and the run stops there.

I don't want another Derrek Loville.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yes, he will look for contact but he better figure out how to slip it a little as Terrel Davis was so good at. If he keeps trying to "punish" LBs...he won't have a very long career.

The way I look at it is that Coffee will hit a hole as hard as he can trying to make contact first with the incoming ILB rather than trying to escape and run into his own OL or FB where sometimes there just isn't enough room. Reminds me of Barlow.

I would rather the RB keep moving forward even if it means taking on the LB head on, but the fact is this kid can flat out hit with violence. This will only keep pounding on the D while Gore rests.

I understand and agree with the point that more hits mean more wear, of course it does.

I just like the fact that we have two very hard-nosed, violent runners. It makes for a better tandem especially in the fourth.

I agree on how he hits the holes. I just don't think he should do this:

Sees a open hole and the ILB about to fill the hole. He actually steps towards the LB and puts his head down and tries to bowl the guy over rather than putting his head down and slightly turns his shoulders just before contact to slip the tackle and gain an extra yard.

It was just that in some of those highlights, he could have made a cut on a perusing FS, gained more yards but he actually steps into the FS or tackler and the run stops there.

I don't want another Derrek Loville.

But at the same time, that FS or tackler was already on him. It is not like he had a two to five yard space to "juke". He's not a burner or slasher.

He is what he is.

I see where you are getting at, I hope you see where I am headed, too. Maybe we will meet at the end of the road...
Cofee better learn to lower those shoulder pads or hes gunna get destroyed.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone