LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The difference in 29's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by soao:
Frank Gore does a lot of things well to the point that there really isn't a change of pace back out there. He runs with power and vision and is a threat to break a long one any time. The perfect back to off set Gore would be his identical twin brother. It remains to be seen how successfully Coffee runs over linebackers in the NFL at 210 pounds. I'll be happy if he takes what is there for positive yards and hangs on to the ball. As a rookie, I'd be happy if he was the equal to what Foster did for us last year.

I agree, you can't really peg Gore into any one category - he's pretty fast, but is a bit of a brusier... he can go outside the tackles or stay in between just fine... and he can break for a huge run at any time. The same type of back who can stay fresh and do all of those things as well is a great asset to have. Very excited to hear that play-actions are going to be more utilized this year.
I like how he wea described as a "violent" runner by Matt Barrows. Or was is Maiocco?
i dont know why everyone likes to bag on Foster so much. i thought he did pretty good in the few chances he was given here.

they hardly gave him the ball, and when they did, he did a solid job of filling in.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zozell:
This looks like shiftiness and breakaway speed to me... Just sayin

Shoot, after watching that, he should have been drafted number one overall. We got ourselves a draft day steal!
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
I like how he wea described as a "violent" runner by Matt Barrows. Or was is Maiocco?

I remember this quote, too. That sounds great to me, but Coffee still has to prove it when the pads go on in training camp. I am excited to see what he can do.

Speed? Possibly, but definitely not "elite" speed. Not being caught isn't the same thing as increasing gaps. Gore has enough speed to break long runs, too. That doesn't mean he's "lightning quick".

Shiftiness? Sorry, don't see that in this clip. He made a single cut and ran through a huge hole in the defense. He certainly didn't break any ankles. Most RB's are good for one cut.

Coffee looks more like Gore, jr than Deangelo Williams to me. Not that that is a bad thing, but I don't think the term "change of pace back" is appropriate in this case.

As a SEC fan,I have seen just about every college game the guy played in,he is more like Frank than DeAngelo.Not saying he will not be successful,but he is more of a power runner than shifty runner.He will lay the wood to a LB quick,fast,and in a hurry.

P.S. Arkansas was one of the worst D's in the SEC,so that run has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Frank Gore does a lot of things well to the point that there really isn't a change of pace back out there. He runs with power and vision and is a threat to break a long one any time. The perfect back to off set Gore would be his identical twin brother. It remains to be seen how successfully Coffee runs over linebackers in the NFL at 210 pounds. I'll be happy if he takes what is there for positive yards and hangs on to the ball. As a rookie, I'd be happy if he was the equal to what Foster did for us last year.

I think you hit the point. We have been lucky to have Frank Gore do what he has done with the team not being able to help him much, and with him being as healthy as he has been over the long haul, it is time to get somebody in ther to share te load a bit. I agree with you that Coffee needs to get some positive yards and not drop te football. I think he will do much better than that, but hey, he hasn't even put on pads yet in the NFL, so lets wait and see.
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Thought you mighta been talkin about Ahmed Plummer....

Who's that loser?
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Originally posted by Genius1310:
Thought you mighta been talkin about Ahmed Plummer....

Who's that loser?

he is the guy that is keeping Woods company on their extended fishing trip

I hate to be the negative one but I'm 50-50 on Coffee...he wasn't rated that high and I think the 9ers could have got a better FA RB this year. We'll see how he does I really hope he developes but I don't see him being anything close to a big time back.
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MertonHanks:

I agree, you can't really peg Gore into any one category - he's pretty fast, but is a bit of a brusier... he can go outside the tackles or stay in between just fine... and he can break for a huge run at any time. The same type of back who can stay fresh and do all of those things as well is a great asset to have. Very excited to hear that play-actions are going to be more utilized this year.

Gore does have some speed, has great vision, and is not afraid to run inside. But there is something that sets him apart from most current RBs in the NFL, and it's an ability that Glen Coffee has shown in his college career.

That ability is great balance.

Many of Gore's best runs have come after he's been knocked around by the defense, and has come out of a scrum and ripped off substantial yardage. Coffee has also shown a talent for keeping his feet and continuing to bull ahead for more yards. I'm sure the Niner talent evaluation team saw this and realized he could be something special.

Now whether Coffee turns out to be as successful is another story, and one we'll know in the fullness of time. But I think it's that quality that will remind people of Gore when Coffee's on the field.

[ Edited by 9erThrowBack on Jun 21, 2009 at 19:30:57 ]
First, I liked DeShaun Foster as backup last year and I have to agree with the guy that said he performed better as a starter than as a change-of-pace guy. I think, actually, that it wouldn't have been a bad move to keep him around for another year with Frank's injury history and no proven backup in line. We're supposed to be a running-based offense now and that makes the position just that much more important.

However, the use of a relatively high-pick on Glen Coffee meant that to some degree, the team thought he will be enough of an insurance policy to help Gore get through the season. I like the physical style I keep reading about and recognize that even though he's not a technically a change of pace that will keep the defense honest, the contact-friendly style that he shares with Gore will get more difficult for the defenses as games go on.

IF (a legitimate "if") Coffee pans out and has some good skills to play in the NFL, it's a great addition to the offense. However, if he's thrust into a starting role, there could be problems.
Coffee on the other hand, IMO is going to be that shifty, lightning quick change of pace backs that we have needed for a while. The perfect compliment to Gore. Once the defense is used to Gore's style... FLASH! Coffee will be one of those backs that will be able to slash the defense for huge gains and be a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball.

Frank Gore is a power RB, Glenn Coffee is also a power RB. How exactly does that equal "change of pace?" Gore is a power back who happens to have agility and elusiveness, but he is the type of back that will lower his head and ram defenders. Coffee is the same type of back, but with less agility and elusiveness. He's gonna be the "bruiser" type who just lowers his head and tries to run everyone over. Basically we have a bigger version of Frank Gore without the agility and elusiveness.

Kory Sheets, who is a speed back, would be a "change of pace" because his speed would actually change the PACE of the running game.

Glenn Coffee will be a good "compliment" to Frank Gore, but not a change of pace. As for him being a "threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball," that's homerism talking. More often than not he will be good for 3-7 yards before he plows into a defender, falls forward and gains a few more yards before being called down.

It's college. Enough said.
Share 49ersWebzone