LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

The difference in 29's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have a huge feeling for alot of us, it's gonna take some major getting used to, to watch #29 run this year. I say this because for the most part of last year, mainly when we used DeShaun Foster as a change up back, he was slow, sluggish, and often got tackled at first point of contact. He was a sub par change of pace back at most.

He did decently in a more premier roll when Gore went down, and actually surprised me. He is one of those backs that do better in the second half, that continued to run strong once the defense is wore down...

Coffee on the other hand, IMO is going to be that shifty, lightning quick change of pace backs that we have needed for a while. The perfect compliment to Gore. Once the defense is used to Gore's style... FLASH! Coffee will be one of those backs that will be able to slash the defense for huge gains and be a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball.

It's gonna take some getting used to to watch #29 on the field this year... but I for one will actually be exicted when I see #29 lined up in the backfield, instead of worried...

Out with the old, in with the new! Let's go Coffee!
I think we'll manage...

Just kidding, It will be a welcome change if Coffee can do as good as we hope...

[ Edited by D_Niner on Jun 18, 2009 at 13:16:41 ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
If by change of pace you mean run straight into people and fall forward, then I agree. Coffee is not shifty and he is not a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. It will be fun watching him try to kill linebackers though.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
If by change of pace you mean run straight into people and fall forward, then I agree. Coffee is not shifty and he is not a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball. It will be fun watching him try to kill linebackers though.

Singletary wants our offense to "will" those two yards...well, he's a step in the right direction. He is one violent runner, period!
Thought you mighta been talkin about Ahmed Plummer....
coffee will be running on defenses all day like he's been drinking it instead of gatorade!
I actually reckon that Coffee is a lot more similar to Gore than he is different. Coffee is more of a power north and south back. Sheets is the one who i think will be outrunning everybody.

-9fA
I thought Foster did a great job in filling the RB role while Gore was down. He didn't break any long runs but what he did do was move the chains and eat up the clock. now if coffee can come in and do both than that would be great. Only way to find out is to wait for this off season which seems to be dragging on forever and ever to end and the season to start.

From the video's and what I've watch of him in college, he reminds me of De Angelo Williams... Williams was shifty and took it to the house quite a bit last year...

Agreed he is North and South and has power... but he will be making plenty of jukes and cuts...
Originally posted by zozell:

From the video's and what I've watch of him in college, he reminds me of De Angelo Williams... Williams was shifty and took it to the house quite a bit last year...

Agreed he is North and South and has power... but he will be making plenty of jukes and cuts...

Sorry to break it to you my friend,but Coffee is not as good as DeAngelo.I wish he were,but he is more physical and less quick/shifty.I think Williams might be one of the next elite backs,he has skills.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by zozell:

Sorry to break it to you my friend,but Coffee is not as good as DeAngelo.I wish he were,but he is more physical and less quick/shifty.I think Williams might be one of the next elite backs,he has skills.

Glad I have him in my keeper league!
This looks like shiftiness and breakaway speed to me... Just sayin

i want his jersey! thats my number!
  • soao
  • Veteran
Frank Gore does a lot of things well to the point that there really isn't a change of pace back out there. He runs with power and vision and is a threat to break a long one any time. The perfect back to off set Gore would be his identical twin brother. It remains to be seen how successfully Coffee runs over linebackers in the NFL at 210 pounds. I'll be happy if he takes what is there for positive yards and hangs on to the ball. As a rookie, I'd be happy if he was the equal to what Foster did for us last year.
Yea i always thought that gore and coffee are similar and sheets would be the curve ball.
Share 49ersWebzone