LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Shawntae Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Agiant49er:
You can play great for every play but one and its that one play that can cost you the game. Way to fall asleep on that one play Spencer!

FAIL

You need to be informed.....

You can play great for every play but one and its that one play that can cost you the game. Way to fall asleep on that one play Spencer!

Without a pass rush your defensive backfield will always get exposed. With decent receivers and a great qb the corners will only be ably to do so much.

It was a tight game which could have gone either way against one of the best teams in the NFL. Not long ago we would have been seriously embarassed.
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Super5:

FAIL

You need to be informed.....

+1

Don't forget that amazing play Spencer made in the endzone to save a touchdown. Timed it perfectly and knocked the ball away without making any kind of contact whatsoever. I have to say I've been EXTREMELY impressed with Spencer this year.

You want to talk about mistakes by CB let's talk about Dre Bly dropping another easy pick.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by theginz2004:
On which corner did Reggie Wayne get most of his catches?

Primarily Spencer, and that's a fair argument.

Although, Reggie Wayne can explode vs any CB in the league, and it took a trick play to fool Spencer for a TD.

didn't reggie have a career day against us?

ANY receiver can have a career day when your QB is Peyton Manning and he has over 45 pass attempts.

wouldve beem less if clements was on him shut down andre johnson and fitz he can shut down wayne as well
Originally posted by jrg:
I've always loved Spencer.. when he was the WZ whipping boy..but I'm glad hes finally getting some respect.

I second that. I thought back in 2006, when it was just him and walt harris. I remember thinking, this kid is going to be good.

Anybody remember when he came on a corner blitz and jacked kitna up. I thought he broke kitna's neck or atleast gave him whiplash

[ Edited by insanemike27 on Nov 3, 2009 at 05:20:46 ]

Even if Spencer had been in coverage that ball was barely caught by Wayne because of the placement. But then again maybe Addai doesn't throw it. Who knows
Originally posted by The_Distort:
I found it odd that he doesnt have a recent thread. Spencer has gone from being a webzone whipping boy, to the best corner on the team.

After his reoccuring injuries, I think almost all of us niner fans either said he was a backup at best, or that he needed to be cut altogether. I'm not sure what he's done to change, but the guy just looks much more confident out there this season. So this is just a big congratulations to him for making such a nice comeback, and becoming our new #1 corner.

I am glad the 49ers didn't give up on him like they have in the past with RW McQuarters, Anthony Parker and Mike Rumph. Yes Spencer is a much better CB than these guys but for a while there is was struggling just as bad.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Although, Reggie Wayne can explode vs any CB in the league, and it took a trick play to fool Spencer for a TD.

ANY receiver can have a career day when your QB is Peyton Manning and he has over 45 pass attempts.

wouldve beem less if clements was on him shut down andre johnson and fitz he can shut down wayne as well
I don't know why you keep saying that. Spencer was on Fitz and AJ. Go back and look at the play by play on espn. Spencer is ranked #7 in the NFL and Nate is 21. There is a big gap as to who is better.
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=CB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1
  • pd24
  • Veteran
For those who say he gave up the TD to Wayne. It was the 1st TD given up by Spencer this year, and it was on a trick play.

Originally posted by RonMexico:

Why was it only against us?

That is because Peyton Manning rarely has to go into pass-happy catch-up mode. He had to against us.
spencer is now our #1 corner... even before nate got hurt
I don't blame spencer for getting burned, peyton would throw the ball to wayne like 2-3 seconds after it was snapped, there is almost no chance to get a hand on him by that point (since our cbs always play like 10 yards off)

That and 44+ attempts has to result in yards, unless you are Jamarcus Russell.
Originally posted by Antix:
Let him get beat for a TD, then all the whiners will come out.

Sorry, the whiners are already out in force.
  • dj43

From what was shown on TV, it appeared Goldson had deep responsibility on that play.
Share 49ersWebzone