LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 245 users in the forums

DB Isaiah Oliver

Shop 49ers game tickets
This could be a sneakily good signing. He's not played a lot lately, but he's been pretty darn good in small bits.
Originally posted by thl408:
Quick breakdown

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/3/6/23622108/nfl-free-agency-2023-rumors-ny-giants-isaiah-oliver
Oliver is a good athlete with elite length for the position. The former decathlete was activated from the Injured Reserve ahead of the Falcons' Week 6 matchup against the 49ers. He played 349 snaps for Dean Pees' defense; he knocked five passes away with an interception while surrendering zero touchdowns in 2022.

His primary alignment was in the slot. He played 262 snaps as a slot defender, 44 snaps in the box, 18 outside, 15 at free safety, and 10 on the defensive line. Pees' defense used a lot of 3-Match principles, and Oliver was savvy when passing and receiving routes into his zone.

Yeah, my understanding was that he was good and an up-and-coming CB, particularly good at playing in slot.
But he tore his ACL two years ago and Atlanta wasn't sure if they wanted to extend him last year.

This might be a free agency steal.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Nice, a 5-time pro player, should have no trouble contributing to the 90 man roster.

Dude has to stay healthy though. Dammit why do we sign injury prone players!!!! I love this signing though don't get me wrong. He was a beast at Colorado!!!
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
https://bloggingdirty.com/2023/01/27/atlanta-falcons-resign-isaiah-oliver/

"The Falcons cannot afford to let him walk because he will go on to flourish with a new team. He is finally healthy and was the team's best player in their final two games, so it is time to offer him another contract—whether that is another one-year deal or a multi-year deal, it doesn't matter, just bring him back!"

Wow very glowing review of him
Originally posted by goatroppolo:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
https://bloggingdirty.com/2023/01/27/atlanta-falcons-resign-isaiah-oliver/

"The Falcons cannot afford to let him walk because he will go on to flourish with a new team. He is finally healthy and was the team's best player in their final two games, so it is time to offer him another contract—whether that is another one-year deal or a multi-year deal, it doesn't matter, just bring him back!"

Wow very glowing review of him

He may just play slot here, but capable of much more.
Very good signing. The big nickel I was expecting.

Now bring Jordan Willis back and see what CB or S you can get for a good number
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Rather roll with Womack
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Dude has to stay healthy though. Dammit why do we sign injury prone players!!!! I love this signing though don't get me wrong. He was a beast at Colorado!!!

One injury. Played in all but 2 games his first 3 years
Originally posted by jimrat:
Rather roll with Womack

Camp battle. Loser is depth at both nickel and outside
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Rather roll with Womack

We will. But always need depth.

Originally posted by Kolohe:

Did he have any injuries outside of the ACL tear?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Quick breakdown

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/3/6/23622108/nfl-free-agency-2023-rumors-ny-giants-isaiah-oliver
Oliver is a good athlete with elite length for the position. The former decathlete was activated from the Injured Reserve ahead of the Falcons' Week 6 matchup against the 49ers. He played 349 snaps for Dean Pees' defense; he knocked five passes away with an interception while surrendering zero touchdowns in 2022.

His primary alignment was in the slot. He played 262 snaps as a slot defender, 44 snaps in the box, 18 outside, 15 at free safety, and 10 on the defensive line. Pees' defense used a lot of 3-Match principles, and Oliver was savvy when passing and receiving routes into his zone.

Yeah, my understanding was that he was good and an up-and-coming CB, particularly good at playing in slot.
But he tore his ACL two years ago and Atlanta wasn't sure if they wanted to extend him last year.

This might be a free agency steal.

I don't know how accurate this statement is, "Pees' defense used a lot of 3-Match principles, and Oliver was savvy when passing and receiving routes into his zone." (from article linked above), but supposedly that's what Steve Wilks likes to do - pattern match from single high (Cover3).
Love this signing
Underrated player stuck on a bad team. He was terrific in college and should be able to step in and replace either Ward or Moseley without issue. Really good signing.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Let's f**king Go!

Hero likes Ferrell, Hyst likes Oliver. I like that they like it.

Share 49ersWebzone