LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 196 users in the forums

How many hours do NFL Coaches, OC, DC and GM work in a week ?

Shop 49ers game tickets
would like to know how many hours the coaches and GMs work in the nfl and whether they still have time for sports, family and sleeping. Where is the difference in workload between head coach, assistant coaches und GMs.
I'm sure it's a 15-20 hour job, with maybe 1 day to spend with family. But they do have long vacations/off-season.
John Harbaugh's schedule for one week during the NFL season was revealed and a whole article was written on it (not sure if I can find it).

It was pretty impressive. If I remember correctly, he still had enough time for 6-7 hours of sleep a night, ~3 hours with his family on Friday, and even time to work out (probably studied film on the treadmill or whatever).

EDIT: Here it is

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10012376/baltimore-ravens-head-coach-john-harbaugh-clocks-long-hours-prep-game-day-espn-magazine
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Oct 19, 2021 at 8:52 AM ]
I dont know the answer to the question, but in the book Bill Walsh wrote after he returned to college football, he did talk about the days he got 5 hours of sleep on a couch he had put in his office. He also touched on the even heavier work load at the college level because of the recruiting season. College coaches don't really have an off season. So much has changed in the NFL since the 80s we have to remind ourselves that while the draft is now much shorter, free agency is much larger. While most coaches dont deal with the figures, i am sure they are knee deep in the evaluation process.

I dont recall the source but in the late 70s early 80s, some players and coaches had second jobs during the off season, so Walsh might have been a tad ahead of his time in the work load department, but i would suspect that 80-90 hour work load is probably common place, at least the majority of the year.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
John Harbaugh's schedule for one week during the NFL season was revealed and a whole article was written on it (not sure if I can find it).

It was pretty impressive. If I remember correctly, he still had enough time for 6-7 hours of sleep a night, ~3 hours with his family on Friday, and even time to work out (probably studied film on the treadmill or whatever).

EDIT: Here it is

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10012376/baltimore-ravens-head-coach-john-harbaugh-clocks-long-hours-prep-game-day-espn-magazine

And this why a lot of former players don't want to go into coaching. You really, really, have to love football to work 100+ hours a week.
A lot of these dudes put in 100+ hour weeks and some even sleep in their offices during the season. It's an intense and demanding job.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 19, 2021 at 12:39 PM ]
9-5 for coach singletary lol
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
9-5 for coach singletary lol

Share 49ersWebzone