LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Who's on your "Mount Rushmore" of NFL Head Coaches?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Vince Lombardi
Bill Walsh
Chuck Noll
Bill Belichick

honorable mentions

Bill Parcells
Tom Landry
Walsh.
Honorable mention:
Joe Gibbs
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Do you guys know what Mt. Rushmore is????

Apparently not. Lol
Erickson
Nolan
Singletary
Tomsula
I have only watched the last 25 years, so for that timespan, it would be belichick and then 3 other guys (probably coughlin, john harbaugh and payton)
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
I have only watched the last 25 years, so for that timespan, it would be belichick and then 3 other guys (probably coughlin, john harbaugh and payton)

Last 25 years. Parcels and Belichick only.
I knew some would question my pick of Madden. Madden may have come off a certain way in the booth to some, but in his coaching days, he was known as a master of X's and O's.

He NEVER -- NOT EVEN ONCE -- had a .500 or under season in his entire coaching career. 10 consecutive winning seasons as an NFL HC before retiring. I believe Lombardi is the only other coach in NFL history to do that. But Madden owns the highest winning percentages among all coaches in NFL history with at least 10 seasons coached. Yes, even better than Lombardi.
Easy.
Lombardi
Landry
Walsh
Belicheck

That's it.

Second tier.
Joe bugel
Rich kotite
Adam gace
Wayne fontes
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I knew some would question my pick of Madden. Madden may have come off a certain way in the booth to some, but in his coaching days, he was known as a master of X's and O's.

He NEVER -- NOT EVEN ONCE -- had a .500 or under season in his entire coaching career. 10 consecutive winning seasons as an NFL HC before retiring. I believe Lombardi is the only other coach in NFL history to do that. But Madden owns the highest winning percentages among all coaches in NFL history with at least 10 seasons coached. Yes, even better than Lombardi.

Greatly admire Madden. Amazing guy to listen to, as well.

Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:
Last 25 years. Parcels and Belichick only.

I started watching around 95-96, so all I saw from parcells was a sb trip to lose to gb and some good campaigns in nyj

on the other hand, coughlin had 2 sb wins with nyg and many playoffs with jaguars, and payton and harbaugh have been synonims of stability, contention and winning with different guys
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Erickson
Nolan
Singletary
Tomsula

[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 21, 2021 at 12:20 PM ]
Walsh four times.

But if I had to go differently...

Historic:

Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, Landry

Active:

Belichick, Reid, Carroll, Harbaugh