LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Greatest Players per Position

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I wouldn't say Frank Gore had 4.30 40 speed.... But he was deceptively fast. I swear, that man had so many runs where he slipped through a line and exploded to a 20 yard run. Frank had an average 40, but he had a pretty good 20 yard shuttle (4.11 seconds). That's faster than Adrian Peterson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, LeVeon Bell, LeSean McCoy.

Actually Gore was one of the fastest backs ever at Miami until he had his first knee surgery. I believe he was in the 4.4s. I have no idea how fast he was in SF but he had that ability to get low and squeeze thru the hole. One of the best I ever saw at finding that opening.
Frank Gore was fast as f**k before the injuries. I always tell people he would've been the GOAT RB if he stayed healthy.

#32 was before the injuries. Dude could fly.

[ Edited by Heroism on Jun 7, 2021 at 2:43 PM ]
I always felt Gore's pass catching ability was heavily underrated.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I always felt Gore's pass catching ability was heavily underrated.
he used to be our leading pass catcher
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Rice wasn't the best athlete at WR? Conditioning/speed/hands were unmatched. His "40 time" may not have been top of the charts, but his speed on the field was undoubtedly unmatched. Anybody that watches him play consistently saw just just run away from defenders like they were standing still. Am I missing something?

Truth. I really have to believe that those who don't think Rice was an elite athlete didn't actually see him play.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Lawrence Taylor: f**k YES

Best defensive player I've ever seen.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by walker807:
Makes you appreciate Gore more. The only RB high on the all time list that wasn't a physical freak, outside of his battle against father time. He never had breakaway speed or tons of power. What he did have though was elite pass blocking and the ability to take half an inch in between lineman and slip though it like Houdini.

Lots of people have Walter Payton on their Mount Rushmore of running backs and he was no physical freak.

There was that little fella that ran the ball for Detroit.
Fred Warner.

/ Thread
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by walker807:
Makes you appreciate Gore more. The only RB high on the all time list that wasn't a physical freak, outside of his battle against father time. He never had breakaway speed or tons of power. What he did have though was elite pass blocking and the ability to take half an inch in between lineman and slip though it like Houdini.

Lots of people have Walter Payton on their Mount Rushmore of running backs and he was no physical freak.

Actually he was in fact a physical freak. Especially for his size, I don't know if you even watched him play but he would run over people, he could do a handstand and walk 100 yards across the whole football field. He was a perfect combination of speed finesse and power. His bench press was ridiculous. Definitely a freak athlete. Also, he had arguably the hardest training regimen of any player with his hill training and carrying a log on his shoulders, check it out, it's amazing.

"One of the strongest and most talented men in football, Walter Payton could bench-press 390 pounds, leg-press more than 700 pounds, throw a football 60 yards, punt it 70 yards, kick 45-yard field goals, and walk the width of the field on his hands"

By the way he also ran a 4.4 40 yard dash. You couldn't be any more wrong.
[ Edited by elguapo on Jul 1, 2021 at 5:37 AM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Lawrence Taylor: f**k YES

Best defensive player I've ever seen.

You must be young. You should have seen LEO NOMELLINI. 10 time Pro Bowler. Best DT of the Century.

Originally posted by frenchtoast:
You must be young. You should have seen LEO NOMELLINI. 10 time Pro Bowler. Best DT of the Century.

Leo was great. So was Dick Butkus. Deacon Jones lived in the backfield before they actually started counting sacks. You can't forget how dominant Reggie White was. This is why I'm always hesitant to label anyone the greatest ever. Taylor certainly is in that group though.

If you just looked at Hugh McElhenny's stats he might not be considered a HOF player but for those of us that saw him play there is no doubt. He was the Barry Sanders of his day with his style of running.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jul 1, 2021 at 1:31 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Leo was great. So was Dick Butkus. Deacon Jones lived in the backfield before they actually started counting sacks. You can't forget how dominant Reggie White was. This is why I'm always hesitant to label anyone the greatest ever. Taylor certainly is in that group though.

If you just looked at Hugh McElhenny's stats he might not be considered a HOF player but for those of us that saw him play there is no doubt. He was the Barry Sanders of his day with his style of running.

It does make for good discussion, however, I agree with you. You just cannot dogmatically say "this guy or that guy." A guy can truly be a generational player but if another generation did not see that player, they think their guy is the best. Of course, that gives us older fellers an advantage because we saw God make the pump that inflated the first football. That was the GREATEST.
Originally posted by dj43:
It does make for good discussion, however, I agree with you. You just cannot dogmatically say "this guy or that guy." A guy can truly be a generational player but if another generation did not see that player, they think their guy is the best. Of course, that gives us older fellers an advantage because we saw God make the pump that inflated the first football. That was the GREATEST.

LOL
Share 49ersWebzone