49ers outslug Broncos, ride late George Kittle touchdown to gritty 24-14 win →

There are 794 users in the forums

Los Angeles Chargers QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Check this gem out. We ranked as the least Perfectly-Covered Dropbacks Against with one of the most Contested Targets For in the league.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Check this gem out. We ranked as the least Perfectly-Covered Dropbacks Against with one of the most Contested Targets For in the league.


Is that saying that we contested a lot of targets on defense or that when we threw the ball it was often contested?
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,332
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Check this gem out. We ranked as the least Perfectly-Covered Dropbacks Against with one of the most Contested Targets For in the league.


Trying to make sense of that. Does this mean the offensive play call was good, but there's a lot of contested catches?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,454
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Good post. His illogical hate for Jimmy clouds most of his posts. Lol

Lol nope I'm talking about facts and provide constant data and film to back it up.

one guys has one of the worst QB ratings in the 4th QR during the playoffs and the worst ever in a SB. The other scored on his last 3 drives to get to the SB. Jimmy missed half a dozen or so reads in the NFCC which I've posted in here multiple times.

Jimmy is an avg starting QB who benefited from coaching and talent around him not the other way around. Put Stafford in SF and Jimmy in La and tell me the outcome….

You're so blinded by your hate for Jimmy that you forgot the discussion. We're talking about the change in Trey's mechanics to try and turn him into a "gunslinger." It's foolish and short sighted. Your example of Stafford is terrible because he got carried by his defensive line and ridiculous weapons. Almost lost to a very limited and injured game manager. Your other example is Mahomes is who got very lucky in the Super Bowl with a stacked roster (thanks to his rookie deal).

So this gunslinger style that you're on your knees for is not sustainable. Awkward mechanics and throwing off the wrong foot is very hard to repeat, especially as these QB's age. Great highlights though. I prefer looking for the next Brady/Manning/Montana type for sustained success, but that's just me. It's proven. If the league wants to pivot to young QB's throwing from awkward angles and foot placement in hopes of riding their rookie contract to a Super Bowl win, that's fine. I'll root for it just like I did our limited QB's through the years. Let's just not pretend that it's sustainable for 10-15 years.
Originally posted by Furlow:
You're so blinded by your hate for Jimmy that you forgot the discussion. We're talking about the change in Trey's mechanics to try and turn him into a "gunslinger." It's foolish and short sighted. Your example of Stafford is terrible because he got carried by his defensive line and ridiculous weapons. Almost lost to a very limited and injured game manager. Your other example is Mahomes is who got very lucky in the Super Bowl with a stacked roster (thanks to his rookie deal).

So this gunslinger style that you're on your knees for is not sustainable. Awkward mechanics and throwing off the wrong foot is very hard to repeat, especially as these QB's age. Great highlights though. I prefer looking for the next Brady/Manning/Montana type for sustained success, but that's just me. It's proven. If the league wants to pivot to young QB's throwing from awkward angles and foot placement in hopes of riding their rookie contract to a Super Bowl win, that's fine. I'll root for it just like I did our limited QB's through the years. Let's just not pretend that it's sustainable for 10-15 years.

Stopped reading when you said I hate Jimmy. It's like you haven't read anything from me for years with a dumb ass comment like that. I've supported him for years hoping he would improve…didn't happen last off season I said it was time to move on.

I've presented plenty of data and film to backup my stance…you've provided s**t like "you just hate him" and Mahomes "got lucky" lol. Like winning a super bowl doesn't consist of luck FOR everyone. Brady doesn't win that super bowl vs ATL if Julian Edelman doesn't make a ridiculous catch, same with Eli in both his wins. Manning doesn't win his last super bowl with out Miller. Brady doesn't win if Wilson hands the ball off. Brady doesn't win if McVay and goff can put up more than 3 freaking points etc etc. so spare me the b******t.

when your QB has more INTs then TDs in his playoff career along with some of the worst QB ratings in the 4th QR that's a problem. Recognize it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 23, 2022 at 9:31 AM ]
  • Sickaa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,820
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped. Jimmy is what he is, and injured Jimmy is even more limited. That doesn't excuse poor play by other players who also failed to execute their responsibilities.

Yeah, the entire team failed In the 4th Q, just like they did In the super bowl. That's something the coaches and players have to Improve upon, so It doesn't happen again.

Who says they aren't improving upon it? They went out and made the biggest draft trade in franchise history to improve the QB position. They went out and got a couple bigger RB's to improve upon short yardage situations. They also signed a solid corner to improve the secondary. If I were to take a vote, I bet those 3 areas were the biggest concerns after losing those 2 games.

I agree with that. As of right now, my only real concerns would be the O-Line and the safety position. The team has done everything In it's power to Improve the weak link of the team ( mostly the QB position ) drafting another RB to help with short yardage plays, like you mentioned. Let's see If It helps with those 4th Q situations.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
More consistent play from the most important position in sports is a good start. Jimmy in the playoffs and in the 4th QR is a horrible thing to watch, no matter how you feel about him. Data/film back it up. Hopefully Lance can eventually be that dude we all want.

No doubt. Better play from the QB position should help with those close, competitive games.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Is that saying that we contested a lot of targets on defense or that when we threw the ball it was often contested?

It means that our pass catchers broke their coverage more than any other, but still ended up having the passes highly contested when the ball came. Conclusion: great scheming and route running let down by poorly timed or inaccurate pass placement.
  • Sickaa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,820
Originally posted by captveg:
It means that our pass catchers broke their coverage more than any other, but still ended up having the passes highly contested when the ball came. Conclusion: great scheming and route running let down by poorly timed or inaccurate pass placement.

That's something we've been seeing since 2019. Hopefully that changes now we have a new QB throwing the ball to the receivers.
I said I'll take a gunslinger like Stafford or Favre over a game manager like Jimmy all day. You clearly disagree. I want a QB that can do BOTH acting like that's not what I said to try and prove something makes your stance even more lame.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,332
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Is that saying that we contested a lot of targets on defense or that when we threw the ball it was often contested?

It means that our pass catchers broke their coverage more than any other, but still ended up having the passes highly contested when the ball came. Conclusion: great scheming and route running let down by poorly timed or inaccurate pass placement.

Ok I think that's correct. Low amount of well covered plays = open WR(s) somewhere on the field.
High amount of contested catches = throwing to the guy that's not open.
I think there's more to it because sometimes the read on the play tells the QB to throw it to a certain route and if there's another route that is more open, but later in the progression, that's not the QB's fault.
Originally posted by captveg:
It means that our pass catchers broke their coverage more than any other, but still ended up having the passes highly contested when the ball came. Conclusion: great scheming and route running let down by poorly timed or inaccurate pass placement.

  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,454
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
You're so blinded by your hate for Jimmy that you forgot the discussion. We're talking about the change in Trey's mechanics to try and turn him into a "gunslinger." It's foolish and short sighted. Your example of Stafford is terrible because he got carried by his defensive line and ridiculous weapons. Almost lost to a very limited and injured game manager. Your other example is Mahomes is who got very lucky in the Super Bowl with a stacked roster (thanks to his rookie deal).

So this gunslinger style that you're on your knees for is not sustainable. Awkward mechanics and throwing off the wrong foot is very hard to repeat, especially as these QB's age. Great highlights though. I prefer looking for the next Brady/Manning/Montana type for sustained success, but that's just me. It's proven. If the league wants to pivot to young QB's throwing from awkward angles and foot placement in hopes of riding their rookie contract to a Super Bowl win, that's fine. I'll root for it just like I did our limited QB's through the years. Let's just not pretend that it's sustainable for 10-15 years.

Stopped reading when you said I hate Jimmy. It's like you haven't read anything from me for years with a dumb ass comment like that. I've supported him for years hoping he would improve…didn't happen last off season I said it was time to move on.

I've presented plenty of data and film to backup my stance…you've provided s**t like "you just hate him" and Mahomes "got lucky" lol. Like winning a super bowl doesn't consist of luck FOR everyone. Brady doesn't win that super bowl vs ATL if Julian Edelman doesn't make a ridiculous catch, same with Eli in both his wins. Manning doesn't win his last super bowl with out Miller. Brady doesn't win if Wilson hands the ball off. Brady doesn't win if McVay and goff can put up more than 3 freaking points etc etc. so spare me the b******t.

when your QB has more INTs then TDs in his playoff career along with some of the worst QB ratings in the 4th QR that's a problem. Recognize it.

Dude everyone knows you hate Jimmy now lol stop. Get back on topic. Trey's new mechanics so far look ugly compared to his college mechanics. And there is zero evidence that making sidearm throws is sustainable in the NFL.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,454
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I said I'll take a gunslinger like Stafford or Favre over a game manager like Jimmy all day. You clearly disagree. I want a QB that can do BOTH acting like that's not what I said to try and prove something makes your stance even more lame.

That wasn't the topic. YOU brought Jimmy into this. Conversation is about Trey's mechanics and why some including yourself are defending the change from his college mechanics.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Check this gem out. We ranked as the least Perfectly-Covered Dropbacks Against with one of the most Contested Targets For in the league.


Trying to make sense of that. Does this mean the offensive play call was good, but there's a lot of contested catches?

This is an offensive stat. The way it was explained to me is that we had one of the most amount of contested passes while facing the poorest defensive coverages in the league.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,512
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Good post. His illogical hate for Jimmy clouds most of his posts. Lol

Lol nope I'm talking about facts and provide constant data and film to back it up.

one guys has one of the worst QB ratings in the 4th QR during the playoffs and the worst ever in a SB. The other scored on his last 3 drives to get to the SB. Jimmy missed half a dozen or so reads in the NFCC which I've posted in here multiple times.

Jimmy is an avg starting QB who benefited from coaching and talent around him not the other way around. Put Stafford in SF and Jimmy in La and tell me the outcome….

You're so blinded by your hate for Jimmy that you forgot the discussion. We're talking about the change in Trey's mechanics to try and turn him into a "gunslinger." It's foolish and short sighted. Your example of Stafford is terrible because he got carried by his defensive line and ridiculous weapons. Almost lost to a very limited and injured game manager. Your other example is Mahomes is who got very lucky in the Super Bowl with a stacked roster (thanks to his rookie deal).

So this gunslinger style that you're on your knees for is not sustainable. Awkward mechanics and throwing off the wrong foot is very hard to repeat, especially as these QB's age. Great highlights though. I prefer looking for the next Brady/Manning/Montana type for sustained success, but that's just me. It's proven. If the league wants to pivot to young QB's throwing from awkward angles and foot placement in hopes of riding their rookie contract to a Super Bowl win, that's fine. I'll root for it just like I did our limited QB's through the years. Let's just not pretend that it's sustainable for 10-15 years.

To a certain extent I agree. I think solid mechanics is very important for a NFL QB. There may be some kind of improvisational mechanics that can be taught though. How? I certainly don't know, but I think in Baseball they probably somehow teach you how to throw off your feet when the baseball player is sliding to the base you are protecting and you have to jump and throw to avoid injury - or something like that.

The other point I'd make is that the rules obviously make the passing more advantageous so offenses are taking advantage of the rules as written. So for example, it took a while for a three point scheme to take effect in the NBA, and so I think we are seeing the maturing evolution of the schemes that can take advantage of the NFL pass happy rules. One of those evolutionary points is the more mobile QB's both in college and in the NFL. I don't think pocket QB's will be the norm going forward. The NFL rules do favor dynamic and explosive Aireal offenses, and you can see that in the stats where a lot of teams are eliminating the fullback (for example).

There is always a place for a smart super accurate pocket QB's like Tom Brady/Drew Brees in any NFL scheme. But the future norm, I think, is the Trey Lance/Mahomes QB's. They are mobile and also are (hopefully in Trey's case) also very good pocket QB's. Just as the mobile Joe Montana QBs was a bit of a rarity in the OLD days of the NFL, I can see the pocket QB's being sort of a rarity in the modern NFL's pass happy offenses of the future.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone