There are 172 users in the forums

Proposed Rule to Ease Jersey Number Restrictions

Shop 49ers game tickets
Does anyone know if this passed, I haven't heard.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/4/1/22362321/the-chiefs-proposed-a-new-rule-to-expand-restrictions-on-jersey-numbers

I think this is a terrible idea. This isn't collage football. They're grown professionals. Position groups should be number-specific. The NFL should have a different standard than collage kids. If anything they should stiffen the restrictions on jersey numbers, not lesson it. I don't wanna see WR's wearing single digit numbers in games, or see QB's wearing numbers in the 20's, or lineman wearing #10. Personally, I'd like to see the league restrict, for example, WR's to 80's numbers unless the team can show they have no more 80's numbers on the 53 man roster. I admit a bit of bias.. I'm a bit of a football purist in matters like this. I never liked WR's wearing numbers in the teens. So I hope this proposal never passes.

Thoughts?

I in the same boat as far as being a football purist and a non fan if this measure myself.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Does anyone know if this passed, I haven't heard.

No. They haven't voted on it yet.
I think it's dumb when WRs are 10-19 but it's their call. I don't care honestly.
Players are all going to change their numbers and all these fan jerseys will be outdated. Fanatics better be ready for the returns.
Originally posted by JustinMT:
Who cares? Never understood why football was so weird about numbers compared to other sports. Let them go crazy.

Because numbers being assigned to certain position groups help both the officials and the fans quickly recognize where players are on the field.

I like the tradition of position specific number restrictions. Im still not into WR's wearing 10-19, but I understand it, considering the 80's are usually limited.

BTW, the proposal doesn't change things for OL, QB, K, or P. They will still be restricted to 50-79 for OL and 1-19 for QB/K/P. I believe its just going to allow LB, DB, RB, WR, and TE to wear 1-49 in addition to their previous numbers.
Don't care.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Definitely a generation gap here — I generally like WRs with teen numbers (though I agree with someone above that 16 is an exception to this for me), though I like them in 80s too for the old school vibe, and I think single digits, like 6 for example on a WR, look cool on skill players.
[ Edited by 91til on Apr 10, 2021 at 3:32 PM ]
Who cares what numbers a player wears as long as they produce.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/4/1/22362321/the-chiefs-proposed-a-new-rule-to-expand-restrictions-on-jersey-numbers

I think this is a terrible idea. This isn't collage football. They're grown professionals. Position groups should be number-specific. The NFL should have a different standard than collage kids. If anything they should stiffen the restrictions on jersey numbers, not lesson it. I don't wanna see WR's wearing single digit numbers in games, or see QB's wearing numbers in the 20's, or lineman wearing #10. Personally, I'd like to see the league restrict, for example, WR's to 80's numbers unless the team can show they have no more 80's numbers on the 53 man roster. I admit a bit of bias.. I'm a bit of a football purist in matters like this. I never liked WR's wearing numbers in the teens. So I hope this proposal never passes.

Thoughts?

Even if collage

Thoughts?

i agree with you.
They should be more strict for every single position.

Every Kicker should wear 99.
Every starting QB should wear 1. Backups: 2, 3,...
Every WR1 should start at 80, WR2, 81, 82, 83, ...
Every TE: 86, 87, ...
OL: 50-55
Originally posted by Joecool:

That's like rugby almost.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

That's like rugby almost.

Take all the b******t out.

What position you play?
-QB
What is your number?

[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 13, 2021 at 10:04 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Okay grandpa.
Share 49ersWebzone