LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 247 users in the forums

NFL officiating influencing games

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Oh look, incomplete pass is a fumble for Vikings/Seahawks game. NFL is so corrupted

It was a fumble i thought? Even then, 3 sec left and they needed like 60 something yards
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Oct 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM ]
I've been saying this for awhile, they have gradually changed the rules of the game to completely allow for the outcome of the game to be changed.

I think it is done more often than not just to keep the game close and entertaining as possible. The better the storyline, the more "influencing" the game gets.
Originally posted by ozzcows:
I've been saying this for awhile, they have gradually changed the rules of the game to completely allow for the outcome of the game to be changed.

I think it is done more often than not just to keep the game close and entertaining as possible. The better the storyline, the more "influencing" the game gets.

You ever play Mario Kart where when you take the lead you pick up nothing but banana peels moving forward but the people in the back get nothing but mushrooms and stars as an attempt to catch up and make the game interesting. That's probably how the NFL prefers games to be because lets face it outside of my team playing once a team takes a 3 score lead I'm pretty much checked out (and I'm sure you and everyone else feel similar once your team is not playing as well). That being said...teams will either be clutch...or not clutch. I do not believe calls swinging in favor of a losing team is due to the the NFL executives. I do believe the real factor is losing teams take more risks and head coaches start screaming more and more to officials about calls they're "missing" throughout a game...and then there's the human aspect where if you got one coach screaming at you vs the other coach who's probably happy with the lead, you may tend to start paying more attention to what the other coach was screaming at...and thus calls suddenly start swinging in the favor of the losing team.
Originally posted by zaghawk:

You ever play Mario Kart where when you take the lead you pick up nothing but banana peels moving forward but the people in the back get nothing but mushrooms and stars as an attempt to catch up and make the game interesting. That's probably how the NFL prefers games to be because lets face it outside of my team playing once a team takes a 3 score lead I'm pretty much checked out (and I'm sure you and everyone else feel similar once your team is not playing as well). That being said...teams will either be clutch...or not clutch. I do not believe calls swinging in favor of a losing team is due to the the NFL executives. I do believe the real factor is losing teams take more risks and head coaches start screaming more and more to officials about calls they're "missing" throughout a game...and then there's the human aspect where if you got one coach screaming at you vs the other coach who's probably happy with the lead, you may tend to start paying more attention to what the other coach was screaming at...and thus calls suddenly start swinging in the favor of the losing team.

Absolutely perfect analogy with Mario kart, however sometimes get a lot more calls than others. Especially with good or darling quarterbacks so that includes Seattle Green Bay KC and so on
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by zaghawk:

Absolutely perfect analogy with Mario kart, however sometimes get a lot more calls than others. Especially with good or darling quarterbacks so that includes Seattle Green Bay KC and so on

To play devil's advocate though...I also feel like DCs and D-Line Coaching staff have been in the game for a long time and should have a firm understanding that the NFL has done nothing but make rules/calls to protect the QBs responsible for the BILLIONs in revenue that drops significantly once a premiere QB is out early season. And thus their coaching/direction should be in a way to their line that you can't hit Brees, Rodgers, Brady (and I guess now RW) the same way you can hit Cam Newton and Fitzmagic. To me it still comes down to the coaching.

Like if I'm a DC or D-Line coach during prep week in a game against the Packers there should be clear direction to the line like "Look...you need to play this clean without question. The call will be made if you Hit Brady/Brees/Rogers/Manning even half a second after it's thrown or your hand slides down their facemask". Or maybe the DC D-Line is aware, and they just rather take the call risk if it means the other 95% of the plays that D-line is playing 100% vs 90% every down.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
LMAOOO Its True. Also Look at the 49ers Game vs the Dolphins. When CJ Came in the 49ers had some calls GO there way. couple of auto first downs on D holding and Roughing the Passer +15 . I Honestly told my Bro. 'Damn look at this guys" Trying there best to help the 49ers . My Bro Responded: "they aint trying to help the 49ers"!!!They Trying to cover they @ss in Vegas.

There is no doubt that there is some truth to what you're saying. At the 4:50 mark, the niners were flagged roughing the passer in the 4th quarter of a playoff game. There is no way in hell that is a penalty, but since the 49ers were beating the panthers by a wide margin, the refs "gave the panthers some hope". s**t like this killed my enthusiasm for the league. (in sports really)
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Also explains why the 3rd and long was converted in the SB.

I posted on GameDay thread that the Chiefs have had one holding call on 120+ dropbacks. Extrapolated over 600 drop backs, thats 5 holding calls. 49ers have been called for 3 in 90 dropbacks, that's 18 over 600 dropbacks. Like the offenses need more help.

Kyle had even brought that to the officials' attention prior to the game

Updating offensive holding calls against KC. ZERO on Monday night.

1 hold on 150 dropbacks. Lol.

Well Chiefs were off their game (or maybe the refs) 3 offensive holding calls on 43 drop backs.

Bringing their season total to 4 offensive holding calls on 193 dropbacks

Update: zero holding calls for KC on 26 dropbacks.....that's more like it. Season total: 4 offensive holding calls on 219 dropbacks. Lol.

I posted on GameDay thread that the Chiefs have had one holding call on 120+ dropbacks. Extrapolated over 600 drop backs, thats 5 holding calls. 49ers have been called for 3 in 90 dropbacks, that's 18 over 600 dropbacks. Like the offenses need more help.

Well Chiefs were off their game (or maybe the refs) 3 offensive holding calls on 43 drop backs.

Update: zero holding calls for KC on 26 dropbacks.....that's more like it. Season total: 4 offensive holding calls on 219 dropbacks. Lol.

whats the average of holding calls per dropback league wide?
i found it crazy how often ravens players absolutely levelled wentz well after the ball was out. no flags.

While beating the hell out of Denver only 23 dropbacks.....no penalties. 4 holding on 243 dropbacks for the season.
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Oct 26, 2020 at 6:02 PM ]
influencing the fk out of this MNF game lol

Officiating has mostly changed because of the over use of replay. It seems as though there are 2 sets of officials now. The refs on the field only care about the penalties that cant be overturned. Everything else they know is challenged or looked at upstairs so they dont give a FK what they call anymore.
[ Edited by Curlin on Oct 27, 2020 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Curlin:
Officiating has mostly changed because of the over use of replay. It seems as tough there are 2 sets of officials now. The refs on the field only care about the penalties that cant be overturned. Everything else they know is challenged or looked at upstairs so they dont give a FK what they call anymore.

They definitely seem to be calling TDs and Catches more often than not because it'll get reviewed upstairs. But at the same time with that whole inrefutable evidence thing to overturn, that does cause issues with erring on the side of catch or TD.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Just more proof the League FO uses officials to manipulate games for optimal outcomes, matchups, and, ultimately, the $ bottom line. etc. And it's perfectly legal.

Yep. Lots of people forgot about this lawsuit.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5201702

"At best, he possessed nothing more than a contractual right to a seat from which to watch an NFL game between the Jets and the Patriots, and this right was clearly honored"
He'll yeah refs influence games sometimes. Does anyone remember this game? Watching it real time you couldn't help but feel like it was rigged. It was ridiculous. The game was getting away from Seattle early and the refs stepped in and stopped it.

While beating the hell out of Denver only 23 dropbacks.....no penalties. 4 holding on 243 dropbacks for the season.

Updating the NFL loves Mahomes saga.
47 dropbacks ZERO holding calls.
That makes a whopping 4 holding calls on now 290 dropbacks. Not sure if that's normal, seems pretty f'in ridiculous. 1 hold per 72 dropbacks. Lol
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Nov 5, 2020 at 6:34 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone