LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Do you support NFL change in policy to support protesting during the national anthem

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you support NFL change in policy to support protesting during the national anthem

If your a real NFL fan and have a real interest in a certain team, I can't understand why you wouldn't watch a game because some players take a knee. If it bothers you that much then don't watch the pre game stuff. Most of the time they don't even show that except maybe a brief flashback. I doubt that they will even do that much since it will become so common. We have a season that's been in doubt for months that's finally getting ready to kickoff and your worried about some players taking a knee? With little or no college football, what are you going to watch?
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerTy:
TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE!!! All these people apologizing, making comments about how "wrong this brutality wrought upon Black People in America" is so horrible! I have a number of quotes from different DIVISION 1 head coaches whom I've NEVER heard address these atrocities before. This didn't start in January of 2020! This has been going on for HUNDREDS of years! And NOW you want to address it!!! Allow me to be frank here. The Wealth of white people was created through the Labor of Black people. We have never sought revenge, only equity. So, in light of these facts, the very best thing to do is to change the life destroying policies which are in place against US, and instill laws in which a Black Man can feel he can go ANYWHERE in this country and be assured he can go home when he is ready.

Let's keep the conversation on the NFL policy, please. There is another thread in the PL to address the broader issue.

Thank you.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree.

I would add that to continue to allow demonstrations during the anthem will cost some viewership. Also, it detracts from the product. Just play the game and move on.

I doubt that it will have an effect on viewership. People are used to it now and more people support it than they did 3 years ago. I have to question why they even do the anthem since no fans are at the games. Even with fans there is no law that says the anthem must be played. It's become a way for washed up singers and wannabes to screw it up by trying to make it into a pop song.

I expect the singing/playing of the anthem will not be shown before most games. The league is going to be walking a thin line. They want money from both groups. Hence, if the allow players to demonstrate, they satisfy that group and by not showing the anthem, they give the other side no reason to complain...except for those personally attending the game.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The NFL is certainly not the only one changing in the direction of BLM, but you can argue that NBA has hurt their viewership as a result of their changes. Once you alienate a portion of your audience you aren't getting their money back. You also seem to equate opposition to BLM as being equal to racism. That is a huge mistake. And for that reason, it is a mistake to assume that 20+ years from now, people are going to agree with the BLM movement.

Racism was a huge issue in the 60s. We had a cultural shift where racism was universally condemned as bad, and we have had a half-century of preaching against racism. It is unlikely that society will become less racist as you really can't preach more than has already been done. If anything, there is a greater chance of more racism in the future, not less (not that I am predicting that).
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Neutral here.

I'll watch regardless, never really cared enough to pay attention to anything other than football.

I don't know what changes were made, but I think they should be accepting of all kinds of protest- even if it's controversial or not widely accepted/mainstream.
Is the National Anthem before a football game even really necessary to begin with? Especially to show it on television?
Let's keep the conversation on the NFL policy, please. There is another thread in the PL to address the broader issue.

Thank you.

LOL‼️‼️‼️ REALLY ⁉️⁉️⁉️
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I agree.

[/b]I would add that to continue to allow demonstrations during the anthem will cost some viewership. [b]Also, it detracts from the product. Just play the game and move on.

I doubt that it will have an effect on viewership. People are used to it now and more people support it than they did 3 years ago. I have to question why they even do the anthem since no fans are at the games. Even with fans there is no law that says the anthem must be played. It's become a way for washed up singers and wannabes to screw it up by trying to make it into a pop song.

I expect the singing/playing of the anthem will not be shown before most games. The league is going to be walking a thin line. They want money from both groups. Hence, if the allow players to demonstrate, they satisfy that group and by not showing the anthem, they give the other side no reason to complain...except for those personally attending the game.

It's gonna be the exact opposite. They are going to go the extra mile to show them in an effort to show that the owners really care about the issue. Not gonna hurt there bottom line at all. Most ppl I know want to see the demostrations.
As long as they're not kneeling on my neck they can do whatever they want. I wish they would just show the game and not all the pre game antics though. I feel like the national anthem is not something I must see from my living room anyways. Just hurry up and get to kickoff!
I don't care. I don't need the announcers to talk about it until halfway through the first quarter, though.

• HERN
  • Veteran
I'm neutral.

IMO it's to late for them to change their minds. The problem was there when players were taking a knee and they chose to take the side of corporate America.

NOW we see business be targeted if they're not part of the movement. The NFL will side with whichever makes them lose less money.

How the turntables...
I personally always stand and put my hand over my heart.

With that said, it's a free country and it's your right to do it or not. It's a form of freedom of speech.

How about people get upset about the Supreme Court ruling that made it where companies could donate unlimited funds to campaigns because it's "freedom of speech".
Yeah Goodall apologizes, for a kneeling movement that started because Kap needed a fake excuse to point to when he got cut...

Way to encourage more people to play the race card!

I have no problem with the players that want to kneel for an actual protest. But to apologize for the handling of the Kap situation, is just pathetic pandering.
Neutral myself.

Even though I completely disagree with them kneeling for the anthem I do support their right to do it because that ability to do so and not get dragged into a prison to be killed or "re-educated" in some camp is one of the great parts of this country.
Originally posted by Overkill:
I don't care. I don't need the announcers to talk about it until halfway through the first quarter, though.

Share 49ersWebzone