LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Question from watching an old NFL playoff game

Shop 49ers game tickets
I just watched the 49ers-Giants 2002 game.

Cris Collinsworth said that Matt Allen could have spiked the ball and given another chance for the field goal. This is of course, not true, as the ball can only be spiked if the person taking the snap is under the center. Otherwise, it is intentional grounding.

Could he have rolled out of the pocket and thrown it away?
yes, he could have. what he did was the right thing... throwing the ball to the wide open, eligible receiver downfield past the 1st down marker. The refs gave us that one, and have made us pay it back the next 2 times we were in the Super Bowl.
I'll never understand what Chike Okeafor was thinking. I don't think Rich Seubert's fat ass would've caught the ball and run in with how he already had his back to the goal line.
Also.... "bummer"
Originally posted by MrGriz:
yes, he could have. what he did was the right thing... throwing the ball to the wide open, eligible receiver downfield past the 1st down marker. The refs gave us that one, and have made us pay it back the next 2 times we were in the Super Bowl.

They still had a penalty on the play I believe though. Other ineligible players crossed the line. It should if been offsetting penalties and a replay. They still would of choked.
Originally posted by dolphinsneu:
I just watched the 49ers-Giants 2002 game.

Cris Collinsworth said that Matt Allen could have spiked the ball and given another chance for the field goal. This is of course, not true, as the ball can only be spiked if the person taking the snap is under the center. Otherwise, it is intentional grounding.

Could he have rolled out of the pocket and thrown it away?
Bummer... No but i belive the reason was because they tried the FG ON 3RD Down.And by "spiking the ball" CC Must of meant throwing towards a reciver "In the Area" thus got another Down.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

They still had a penalty on the play I believe though. Other ineligible players crossed the line. It should if been offsetting penalties and a replay. They still would of choked.

This is how I've justified it to myself also.
49ers used to get the calls.

Now they don't.

Just curious what calls were missed in the SB against Baltimore? I thought that game was very well officiated.

I wonder how many of you have seen the video of the 2013 NFC title game against Seattle. That game was so horribly officiated.

I do remember Okefor saying, "I wasn't going to let him score, I was going to make sure that did not happen" That was a PO play (This is a term I made up. I stands for Patriot Opponent play. It means something so insanely idiotic that you can't fathom how it could be possible)

There were seven seconds left. This leads to another question. Let's say Allen throws it away out of bounds. When does the clock stop? When the ball crosses the sideline or when it hits the ground out of bounds. If the latter, time comes into play.

It should have been offsetting penalties, which would have given the Giants another chance. It would have been interesting to see if they would have tried another snapper.
[ Edited by dolphinsneu on Aug 21, 2020 at 9:26 PM ]

I meant throw it out of bounds.
Originally posted by dolphinsneu:
49ers used to get the calls.

Now they don't.

Just curious what calls were missed in the SB against Baltimore? I thought that game was very well officiated.

I wonder how many of you have seen the video of the 2013 NFC title game against Seattle. That game was so horribly officiated.

I do remember Okefor saying, "I wasn't going to let him score, I was going to make sure that did not happen" That was a PO play (This is a term I made up. I stands for Patriot Opponent play. It means something so insanely idiotic that you can't fathom how it could be possible)

There were seven seconds left. This leads to another question. Let's say Allen throws it away out of bounds. When does the clock stop? When the ball crosses the sideline or when it hits the ground out of bounds. If the latter, time comes into play.

It should have been offsetting penalties, which would have given the Giants another chance. It would have been interesting to see if they would have tried another snapper.

Omg that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Ummm Ravens CB Smith shoves a ref about 20ft and onto his ass if memory serves no penatly. Crabtree got hit helmet to helmet repeatedly, no calls. CRAZY holding on a kickoff (Like 2 guys literally holding a defender up off the ground so his feet weren't touching) which allowed a return TD. Just a horribly officiated game. John had to work the rules cause the Ravens weren't good enough to just line up and beat us.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 21, 2020 at 9:43 PM ]

Originally posted by WINiner:
Omg that was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Ummm Ravens CB Smith shoves a ref about 20ft and onto his ass if memory serves no penatly. Crabtree got hit helmet to helmet repeatedly, no calls. CRAZY holding on a kickoff (Like 2 guys literally holding a defender up off the ground so his feet weren't touching) which allowed a return TD. Just a horribly officiated game. John had to work the rules cause the Ravens weren't good enough to just line up and beat us.

not best quality
Sometimes we get the calls and sometimes they go against us. We tend to remember the ones that go against us more. The officials get it right more often than not. My biggest gripe about officials is the inconsistency in the way games are called. This is true in MLB and the NBA as well. One group decides to let them play and allows more holding or PI. Another one blows the whistle every other play and ruins the flow of the game. In baseball it's the different strike zones. I just wish the could be more consistent and call the games according to the rules. It's crazy that teams need to adjust to the group of officials that are calling the game. It should be the officials that adjust.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Sometimes we get the calls and sometimes they go against us. We tend to remember the ones that go against us more. The officials get it right more often than not. My biggest gripe about officials is the inconsistency in the way games are called. This is true in MLB and the NBA as well. One group decides to let them play and allows more holding or PI. Another one blows the whistle every other play and ruins the flow of the game. In baseball it's the different strike zones. I just wish the could be more consistent and call the games according to the rules. It's crazy that teams need to adjust to the group of officials that are calling the game. It should be the officials that adjust.

its usually because the ones that go against us cost us a Lombardi. I'm just saying...
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Aug 23, 2020 at 2:04 AM ]

Yes

Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
its usually because the ones that go against us cost us a Lombardi. I'm just saying...

and F yes

Lol they destroyed us in the 1st half. If it wasn't for the lights going out, we would've lost by 50
Share 49ersWebzone