LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 194 users in the forums

The Washington Commanders Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by linkboy:
It's not hard for Washington to change the name to the Warriors (Snyder even owns a trademark for the Washington Warriors ), keeping the Native American theme.

Change the name to the Warriors, update this uniform and your done.

Agree - very logical.
I agree. Warriors is most likely.

Another one I've heard is "Redtails" but then they'd have to re-brand everything.
Nope. Not the warriors.
Washington SEALS

Not the Warriors. There's only one Warriors team.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Why aren't the braves or the chiefs getting any heat?

That tomahawk chop is the most racist chant

The chop has come under a lot of criticism. It's really stupid and it's not even original. They pretty much took the FSU spear chuck and changed it to a chop.Those rubber tomahawks are really lame. Braves and Chiefs aren't really racist like Redskins but they have seen some heat. I always thought Redskins was a really bad racist slur. That and the old Indians logo with Chief Wahoo all bug eyed and bright red. They finally got rid of him.
Originally posted by 49erF90:
Not the Warriors. There's only one Warriors team.

The Waldorf Warrior fans will need to get over it.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I've seen far more white people offended by the name than actual Natives but if enough people want it changed, go ahead and change it. The franchise will still suck no matter what they call it as long as Snyder is the owner.

That poll only required the polled to be 1/16 Native American. So, basically, a lot of white Redskins fans who claimed to have a little Native American blood didn't think it was offensive.
If they rename the team and come up with a new logo, look at all the money they'll make off of new gear.

Washington Bullets.
Originally posted by 49erWill:

A Native American group suggested the Washington RedHawks awhile back. I like it for several reasons..

It rolls off the tongue a lot like Redskins, so people could get used to it quickly.
DC is fairly close to Baltimore, which has the Ravens and Orioles. It fits with the bird theme.
A hawk is a symbol of strength, thus a good football name.
There are a decent number of hawks in the DC Area, so it makes sense.
They wouldn't have to change the uniforms much, as you have shown.
[ Edited by Garoppolis on Jul 3, 2020 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Garoppolis:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I've seen far more white people offended by the name than actual Natives but if enough people want it changed, go ahead and change it. The franchise will still suck no matter what they call it as long as Snyder is the owner.

That poll only required the polled to be 1/16 Native American. So, basically, a lot of white Redskins fans who claimed to have a little Native American blood didn't think it was offensive.

Ya there was some other issues with that poll as well. Basically, it sucked.

The fact is, when you're talking about skin color, certain facial features, it can and sometimes it does, have a racist connotation.

If a team right now were to change their name to the Slanted Eyes or Blackskins it would be a big issues. This Redskins name change is long overdue.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by linkboy:
It's not hard for Washington to change the name to the Warriors (Snyder even owns a trademark for the Washington Warriors ), keeping the Native American theme.

Change the name to the Warriors, update this uniform and your done.

Agree - very logical.

LOL, that won't work

Marquette University, responding to concerns from American Indians, will drop "Warriors" as the nickname for its athletic teams, a published report said Friday.
LINK
Share 49ersWebzone