LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Do you want to see writers cover political topics when reading about the 49ers?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you want to see writers cover political topics when reading about the 49ers?

Originally posted by kelson49er:
I think part of the reason that stuff has gone so sideways for so long for non-white Americans is because, every time there's a potential inflection point moment like we're having now, it's always "keep that over there in the place it belongs," or "let's tone it down and be civil," or "stop shoving it in my face, I just want some peace and quiet." Perhaps the greatest of all these hits is, of course, "stick to sports."

If there's one thing I hope people start doing, it's saying something. Tell that crazy racist uncle that what he said isn't okay. Tell your coworker that the joke wasn't funny. Tell your kids that an entire demographic group in this country has life-or-death stakes when they're caught up in a traffic stop. So, in that vein, if a columnist or podcast host or whoever feels compelled to say something meaningful and heartfelt, they should, whether it's connected to the Niners or not. This "time and place" bullcrap is just a tired old refrain for the status quo.

Since the first big Civil Rights movement in the 50s and 60s, and really since slavery, there has been no national conversation and reconciliation on race. That time may finally be upon us, and shame on us if we're going to still insist on compartmentalization and blissful ignorance.

Amen. Don't be afraid to discuss racial issues with someone of a different race. Be honest and open and you'll be amazed at what you can learn. When I was about 60 I had a young black man about 18 or 19 ask me point blank what I thought about black people. I was floored that a kid this young would ask a guy my age a question like that. We stood there on my porch for about 30 minutes talking about how I viewed black people and he told me how he viewed white people. I was honest with him and I assume he was honest with me or he wouldn't have even asked the initial question. In the end I hope he got something out of it because I sure did.

My point of sharing this is marching and protesting are fine but Kareem said the other day that we've seen this before many times going back to the 60's and nothing has changed. We need more than signs and speeches. We need honest dialogue between people and change at the highest levels. We can never change everyone's attitude but we can't keep sweeping this stuff under the rug.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 4, 2020 at 1:48 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So far, 80% of the respondents don't want to see social issues covered when reading about sports. As several have pointed out, the predominant reason is they get enough politics elsewhere, and look to sports as a safe haven where you can escape the pressures of the world. I also suspected, that conservatives are more likely to not want politics covered with sports, as press slants left.

Ultimately, this shows an opportunity for the press, as they aren't currently meeting the expectations of a large majority of their customers. I know that for myself personally, I stopped watching ESPN as they dove into politics headfirst.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Amen. Don't be afraid to discuss racial issues with someone of a different race. Be honest and open and you'll be amazed at what you can learn. When I was about 60 I had a young black man about 18 or 19 ask me point blank what I thought about black people. I was floored that a kid this young would ask a guy my age a question like that. We stood there on my porch for about 30 minutes talking about how I viewed black people and he told me how he viewed white people. I was honest with him and I assume he was honest with me or he wouldn't have even asked the initial question. In the end I hope he got something out of it because I sure did.

My point of sharing this is marching and protesting are fine but Kareem said the other day that we've seen this before many times going back to the 60's and nothing has changed. We need more than signs and speeches. We need honest dialogue between people and change at the highest levels. We can never change everyone's attitude but we can't keep sweeping this stuff under the rug.

This does seem to characterize the way the left behaves right now. My ideas are right, and I am going to hound you until you agree with me. There won't be any politic free zone. It doesn't matter what people want. If people insist on a politic free space, then they are bad people.
If they're going to ask sports figures for their views then there's going to be discussion of what this player or that player said. What else are the writers supposed to cover with no sports going on and massive demonstrations in the streets. You can ignore it if you want to but that won't solve the problems. I'm sure we would all prefer to have live sports to take our minds off of what is happening with the demonstrations , the virus and the economy but until games resume those things are center stage and will be for some time.

What any of us think isn't going to influence what writers cover. Sports figures are criticized when they ignore racial issues and criticized if they get too involved. They can't win.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 4, 2020 at 2:00 PM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

This does seem to characterize the way the left behaves right now. My ideas are right, and I am going to hound you until you agree with me. There won't be any politic free zone. It doesn't matter what people want. If people insist on a politic free space, then they are bad people.

bump!

Theres plenty you can research about those times and how sports was such a big part of some political movements, especially when it came to minority rights.

Owens during the olympics before ww2, a lot of sports writers were talking the political implications it has.

Jackie Robinson, a lot of sports writers were talking about the political implications it has

The first black college/NBA/NFL players, a lot of sports writers were talking about the political implications it has

Hank Aaron, the first black coaches, womens soccer team in the 90s...

So whether you like it or not, or want it, it doesn't matter. As long as there are sports and it involves human rights, it will be talked about on both ends.

And once again, sports has opened the doors for minorities more than any other business in this country.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by 91til:
I get that people go to sports for a refuge from "reality," ...but at the same time, pretending that sports does not take place in reality, or that players, organizations, or reporters covering the sport should ignore the incredible political climate that we are living in right now is willfully ignorant.

What makes you think "politics" has anything to do with reality? It's a phony stage where conflicts are intentionally fostered between groups to distract people from the real war being waged -- on the pay check in your pocket.

How's that door dash side gig coming along to pay the interest on your student loans?

damn you sound dumb as hell lol

It's not a left/right, D/R thing unless you make it. It's basic human dignity. If you feel like your politics are being attacked on that kind of conversation, maybe you should reevaluate your politics.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Jun 4, 2020 at 4:38 PM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
It's not a left/right, D/R thing unless you make. It's basic human dignity. If you feel like your politics are being attacked on that kind of conversation, maybe you should reevaluate your politics.

See? You are proving my point. You don't even understand the other side of the argument, and as a result you think it is the other side that needs to "reevaluate." Your side, good. Other side, bad.
It's not a left/right, D/R thing unless you make. It's basic human dignity. If you feel like your politics are being attacked on that kind of conversation, maybe you should reevaluate your politics.

See? You are proving my point. You don't even understand the other side of the argument, and as a result you think it is the other side that needs to "reevaluate." Your side, good. Other side, bad.

being on the side of human rights was never a bad thing.

...there's not really another side of the argument. Legit arguments are over things like economic philosophies, budget priorities, immigration systems, etc. But, reasonable people can't watch the Floyd video and think everything was a-okay there. It's kind of just a factual recognition thing. Reality doesn't have a liberal or conservative bias.

• fryet
  • Veteran
Point of this thread isn't to debate the various topics, but to keep things general. I agree both sides believe that Floyd situation is a tragedy. Both sides don't agree on the protests and riots that followed.
Point of this thread isn't to debate the various topics, but to keep things general. I agree both sides believe that Floyd situation is a tragedy. Both sides don't agree on the protests and riots that followed.

What is the other side? There is clearly racial bias in this country. Does the other side believe that to not be true? I don't see this being a two side thing.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Start another thread to debate that. This thread is for whether politics should be in the sports section of a newspaper.
Start another thread to debate that. This thread is for whether politics should be in the sports section of a newspaper.

No answer?
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Let's try another angle. The argument seems to be that since something is true, it is ok to include in the sports section. But that really isn't the right bar. We could talk about the number of orphan children in India, or infant deaths. Maybe number of Christians tortured throughout the world. Being true or not isn't the bar. The real issue is whether you want sports to be about political advocacy. If you want to be an advocate for a cause, there are plenty of other places where such things can be discussed.
Share 49ersWebzone