LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

Do you want to see writers cover political topics when reading about the 49ers?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you want to see writers cover political topics when reading about the 49ers?

What wysiwyg said...
  • 91til
  • Veteran
I get that people go to sports for a refuge from "reality," ...but at the same time, pretending that sports does not take place in reality, or that players, organizations, or reporters covering the sport should ignore the incredible political climate that we are living in right now is willfully ignorant.
Only when its about Jed screwing the Santa Clara taxpayers
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Of course people can read what they want or not, and I understand being annoyed at all the politics going on right now and it seeping into sports... but people should be mindful that just because something might not affect their personal day to day lives doesn't mean it's not important. And even the fact they can get annoyed about it is proof that their personal experiences are mostly insulated from these issues—I.e, they're lucky in that respect. We could all stand to be a bit more tolerant and understanding of others experiences instead of writing them off as "annoying."
Sports is sports. I agree it is the last refuge from political argument. It's why it is so popular. It's not about politics or religion. If you want politics they got those channels all day long. You can watch that instead.
  • dj43
Originally posted by thl408:
Please keep this thread about the original topic - sports media writers and whether you want them covering politics/social issues.

This thread is not about the actual political/social issues. Those topics are discussed in the non-sports subforum (Parking Lot).

NO. Not now. Not ever. Sports have historically unified people of all backgrounds until the kneel don't kneel thing happened. I curse the day we signed kaep and him bringing his views into the sport.
I don't see how this can be avoided especially when a dim wit like Drew Brees opens his mouth and clearly shows his two faces at the same time. That's guna hit the papers and we will be subjected to this news whether we like it or not.
Originally posted by LionHeartofGold:
I don't see how this can be avoided especially when a dim wit like Drew Brees opens his mouth and clearly shows his two faces at the same time. That's guna hit the papers and we will be subjected to this news whether we like it or not.

He's been pretty consistent with his views. Agree or not it should not be subject to the mob. Him not being fond of the knee =/= racism.

2020 america agree or be torn down. Literally.
[ Edited by Jubwub88 on Jun 4, 2020 at 1:32 AM ]
Originally posted by 91til:
I get that people go to sports for a refuge from "reality," ...but at the same time, pretending that sports does not take place in reality, or that players, organizations, or reporters covering the sport should ignore the incredible political climate that we are living in right now is willfully ignorant.

What makes you think "politics" has anything to do with reality? It's a phony stage where conflicts are intentionally fostered between groups to distract people from the real war being waged -- on the pay check in your pocket.

How's that door dash side gig coming along to pay the interest on your student loans?
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jun 4, 2020 at 3:04 AM ]

• Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Yes, there are some topics that are far-reaching and impact everyone, and these should be discussed.
I come here for a break. Not saying politics and good discussion isn't important. I think we all need a break from it. Just my 2 cents
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Sports is sports. I agree it is the last refuge from political argument. It's why it is so popular. It's not about politics or religion. If you want politics they got those channels all day long. You can watch that instead.

Idk how old you are, but it sounds like you werent around in the 50s or 60s or 70s or 80s, 90s?

but theres plenty you can research about those times and how sports was such a big part of some political movements, especially when it came to minority rights.

Owens during the olympics before ww2, a lot of sports writers were talking the political implications it has.

Jackie Robinson, a lot of sports writers were talking about the political implications it has

The first black college/NBA/NFL players, a lot of sports writers were talking about the political implications it has

Hank Aaron, the first black coaches, womens soccer team in the 90s...

So whether you like it or not, or want it, it doesn't matter. As long as there are sports and it involves human rights, it will be talked about on both ends.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Jun 4, 2020 at 12:57 PM ]
I don't like the way Aaron Rodgers used this as a way to further his PR with his teammates. That was a punk move and any child could see through it. At least is hope so.

You don't speak up and wait for Somone to get slammed and use it to make yourself look better. What a terrible human
I think part of the reason that stuff has gone so sideways for so long for non-white Americans is because, every time there's a potential inflection point moment like we're having now, it's always "keep that over there in the place it belongs," or "let's tone it down and be civil," or "stop shoving it in my face, I just want some peace and quiet." Perhaps the greatest of all these hits is, of course, "stick to sports."

If there's one thing I hope people start doing, it's saying something. Tell that crazy racist uncle that what he said isn't okay. Tell your coworker that the joke wasn't funny. Tell your kids that an entire demographic group in this country has life-or-death stakes when they're caught up in a traffic stop. So, in that vein, if a columnist or podcast host or whoever feels compelled to say something meaningful and heartfelt, they should, whether it's connected to the Niners or not. This "time and place" bullcrap is just a tired old refrain for the status quo.

Since the first big Civil Rights movement in the 50s and 60s, and really since slavery, there has been no national conversation and reconciliation on race. That time may finally be upon us, and shame on us if we're going to still insist on compartmentalization and blissful ignorance.
[ Edited by kelson49er on Jun 4, 2020 at 1:01 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone