There are 191 users in the forums

Greatest Running Backs of All Time - peak skills over 3-5 year stretch (not on longevity)

Shop 49ers game tickets

Greatest Running Backs of All Time - peak skills over 3-5 year stretch (not on longevity)

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Mooseman:
Jim Brown
6-2 230

As big as the avg o lineman, with world class speed.
Played on s**tty surfaces, rain mud etc.

Played with no hip pads or thigh pads, Never missed a game in 9 years.

Marked man every game, he asked no quarter he gave no quarter. His 1963 thru 65 years were crazy.

Best player of all time. Period

that's were the argument gets lost. when a RB at 230 lbs is bigger than most players on the field, that's not top class competition.

please stop

hey welcome to forums, were people give their opinion.
http://www.footballperspective.com/career-leaders-in-yards-per-carry-era-adjusted/

lol that overrated POS. He's probably the most over rated RB ever. Probably more overrated than Emmitt.
Sweetness was unbelievable.

Also lol at the argument that Jim Brown's legacy should somehow be diminished because *gasp* he was bigger and better than his competition. To discredit the level of competition that Brown faced just because he was simply THAT much better than everyone is ridiculous. Brown was otherworldly—and that's exactly why he made his competition look like a bunch of fools.
[ Edited by BYisGod on May 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

lol that overrated POS. He's probably the most over rated RB ever. Probably more overrated than Emmitt.

Man, some of the takes in this thread are just abysmal. Payton was an MVP, 2-time Offensive Player of the Year, and a 7-time first team All Pro.
I voted Barry Sanders because I'm not old enough to remember Payton or the older backs, but I absolutely loved watching NFL films highlights of Earl Campbell as a kid.

[ Edited by PowderdToastMn on May 28, 2020 at 6:49 AM ]
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Man, some of the takes in this thread are just abysmal. Payton was an MVP, 2-time Offensive Player of the Year, and a 7-time first team All Pro.

Thought that was a lame troll attempt but he got you smh
[ Edited by Since07 on May 28, 2020 at 7:03 AM ]
Kinda crazy all those legends combine for just 2 Super Bowl rings and the vast majority never even made it there
Originally posted by Since07:
Kinda crazy all those legends combine for just 2 Super Bowl rings and the vast majority never even made it there

Franco Harris is the best if we rated HB/FB the same as QBs.

Barry Sanders was gonna be my answer but how can anyone deny Bo Jackson.

He was a man amongst boys.
I truly wonder what Frank Gore's career woulda looked like if we kept Norv Turner and the 49ers offense was built like the 90s Cowboys offense. It was shaping up to be like that, and then all those years of futility until Harbaugh came.
You know where you can make a great case for Barry? Fumbles. He has about 1/2 the fpc as brown or walter. Thats impressive. I wonder how rules might have impacted that.
You know where you can make a great case for Barry? Fumbles. He has about 1/2 the fpc as brown or walter. Thats impressive. I wonder how rules might have impacted that.

Rules and running styles. Punishing runners invite contact. I don't remember Sanders every getting hit that hard because of how elusive and quick he was.
True. You can't get a hand out to strip the ball when the runner is going 4.37. Plus his natural shiftiness put a lot of tacklers on the defensive -- just happy to get a hug on him and bring him down. He was the smallest of the three -- 5'8". So it wasn't hand size.

Is there any way to check the league totals for running back fumbles? It's impossible to imagine there might be a systemic difference -- were talking about 3 different era's really -- 60's, 70's, 90's.
Share 49ersWebzone