LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Hall of fame 2020

Shop 49ers game tickets
I have nothing to add, but the surprise segments they're doing this year are neat.
[ Edited by GoldBrick on Jan 14, 2020 at 7:02 AM ]
Good article on how the special panel for the 15 HoF being announced tomorrow works (well, 13 tomorrow since we know the two coaches got in):

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/13/bill-cowher-jimmy-johnson-nfl-hall-of-fame-kevin-stefanski-browns-nfl-news-notes
East Coast bias is real. No other way to explain yet ANOTHER 1970s Steeler (Shell) and 1950s Packer (Dillon) getting in as Roger Craig and Cliff Branch are being snubbed yet again.
Players in HoF who got at least 2 championships with these legacy teams:

50s/60s Packers - 13
70s Steelers - 10

70s/80s Raiders - 4
80s/90s 49ers - 5

If anything there's simply too many Packers and Steelers from these teams in. There weren't 10+ HoFs that won 2+ championships with those 49ers teams, but there certainly weren't 8 less than those Packers teams. We're just asking for Roger Craig, man. The RB that redefined the position for the league in regards to being an "all purpose" RB. Just Roger Craig!
There is such a 49ers bias in the NFL. Roger Craig, the best back in football for a few years, Patrick Willis, the best linebacker during his time, George Siefert, 2 time SB Champ and outstanding position coach. If they were NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers they would have been enshrined on the first ballot.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
There is such a 49ers bias in the NFL. Roger Craig, the best back in football for a few years, Patrick Willis, the best linebacker during his time, George Siefert, 2 time SB Champ and outstanding position coach. If they were NY Giants, Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers they would have been enshrined on the first ballot.

Craig played in an era that had E.Dickerson, W.Payton, M.Allen, T.Thomas, B.Sanders, E.Smith.
Originally posted by jcs:
Craig played in an era that had E.Dickerson, W.Payton, M.Allen, T.Thomas, B.Sanders, E.Smith.

For a few years he was the best back in football, 1000 yards rushing and receiving.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:

For a few years he was the best back in football, 1000 yards rushing and receiving.
When?

85 the 1000/1000 year M.Allen had 1700 yards rushing, 2300 total yards. Craigs best season 88' he had 1500 yards rushing good for third in the league the same season E.Dickerson had 1652 yards and 14 TD's and just behind Hershal walker

Craig was a great back for us but his era was just filled with better RB's who carried better numbers into the HOF. Now he faces the reality that he's not in an exclusive club anymore with two other backs getting to the 1000/1000 club since.

He deserves to be in the 49ers HOF but missing out this season, I'm not sure he's ever going to make it in the NFL HOF.
They're still gonna vote on 1-2 Senior candidates every year moving forward. My guess is they start with the 10 finalists for this year that didn't get in, which includes Craig. If they do that he'll probably get in within the next 5-7 years.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/deion-sanders-theyre-letting-too-many-players-into-the-hall-of-fame/

He is right on so many levels. It's almost like you can predict who's going in based on which network they are working for, and NFL network guys are automatic!

Crazy thing is, the 49ers teams of the 80's & 90's have to be considered the greatest sports dynasty of all time! I mean we won 5 rings with the least amount of HOF's on our championship teams.

Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame
I have to agree with his opinion, this all seems like its just a popularity contest and on field contributions don't mean much , TO shed light on how the HOF isnt as prestigious as it once was to me.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/deion-sanders-theyre-letting-too-many-players-into-the-hall-of-fame/

He was not.
Among the finalists this year, if I'm being fair, I think these should be the 5 guys most deserving of making it this year:

1. Zach Thomas (7x All-Pro, 7x Pro Bowl, DROY)

2. Troy Polamalu (6x All-Pro, 8x Pro Bowl, DPOY, 2x Super Bowl winner)

3. Alan Faneca (8x All-Pro, 9x Pro Bowl, 1x Super Bowl winner)

4. John Lynch (4x All-Pro, 9x Pro Bowl, 1x Super Bowl winner)

5. Richard Seymour (6x All-Pro, 7x Pro Bowl, 3x Super Bowl winner)
Originally posted by 49erman723:
Deion Sanders: They're letting too many players into the Hall of Fame
I have to agree with his opinion, this all seems like its just a popularity contest and on field contributions don't mean much , TO shed light on how the HOF isnt as prestigious as it once was to me.

Agreed!!!! Too many good not great/game changing players are getting into the HOF over the past 5 years or so.

In a running era, Craig was not a top running back but he ( and Bill Walsh) change the game and since his record for 1000 and 1000 has stood up against the modern running back, I would suggest that it is a milestone that is extremely difficult to achieve. To me that is something that is overlooked and should be recognized by the HOF.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Jan 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:
East Coast bias is real. No other way to explain yet ANOTHER 1970s Steeler (Shell) and 1950s Packer (Dillon) getting in as Roger Craig and Cliff Branch are being snubbed yet again.

The Dam GOODYEAR BLIMP got in before Roger Craig and Drew Pearson!!!
Share 49ersWebzone