There are 183 users in the forums

RIP Sam Wyche

Shop 49ers game tickets
@AdamSchefter Sam Wyche, the former Bengals and Bucs HC, died today from melanoma. He was 74. "Sam was a wonderful guy," said Bengals' president Mike Brown. "We not only liked him, we admired him as a man. He had a great generosity of spirit and lived his life trying to help others."

Good dude. Passionate coach. RIP
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Joe Montana's first QB coach with the 49ers.

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 2, 2020 at 12:34 PM ]
"You don't live in Cleveland , you live in Cincinnati!!"
A great coach and Bill Walsh disciple. He's been ill or a long time, RIP.
Former Cincinnati Bengals coach Sam Wyche dies at 74

By: Mike Dyer
WCPO 9 Cincinatti

CINCINNATI — Former Cincinnati Bengals coach Sam Wyche died Thursday afternoon at his home in Pickens, S.C., after a battle with cancer. He was 74 years old.

"It was in his liver and he just went really fast," said Sam's son, Zak Wyche. "He was able to walk around Saturday with a walker and then the next morning he was unresponsive."

Sam Wyche coached the Bengals from 1984 to 1991 including leading the Bengals to Super Bowl XXIII. He led the Bengals to their most recent playoff win in 1991.

Wyche was an NFL head coach for 12 years overall (1984 to 1995). He coached Tampa Bay from 1992-95.

Read more...
Sucks. Seemed like a really good guy
Great coach. RIP, Sam.

He was so gracious to Walsh after the loss in the SB. I'll never get the way they greeted after the game.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 2, 2020 at 1:59 PM ]
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
RIP
Cancer sucks.
Damn.

Thats' really sad. I had no idea he had cancer. I still love that shot of him on the sideline at the SB when he's watching helplessly as Montana moved down the field. He knew that the Bengals were doomed. He was one of those coaches you couldn't help but like even when he was on the opposing sideline.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jan 2, 2020 at 2:21 PM ]
Hes was great yrs back on that 88 bengals americas games missing rings show
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Really rare to die from melanoma. It has about a 93% cure rate.
RIP coach. Another one of Walsh's guys

He was great on NFL network top 10 lists/documentaries over the years
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

He was so gracious to Walsh after the loss in the SB. I'll never get the way they greeted after the game.

Soooo sad. Class act. I still think that's the best Superbowl ever BECAUSE Bill Walsh and Sam Wyche were facing off. Massive MASSIVE respect between the two HC's and teams by default. Best friends...leaving everything on the field, historic ending and no losers. To me, that's the ideal pinnacle and beauty of sports
Share 49ersWebzone