There are 360 users in the forums

Chase Mcglaughlin missed game tying FG for Colts.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Janitor:
He's looks absurdly nervous every time he goes to make a big kick. He's going to have to overcome that if he wants to amount to anything in the NFL

McLaughlin reminds me so much of myself in my kicking days, it's crazy. His setup is identical, the way he points down and up to his target, and then when he kicks the ball there is virtually no movement in the air -- another spitting image of my kicking style. (As a fan, there's nothing scarier than watching a kicker that punches knucklers swirling wildly in the air left and right on their way towards the goalposts).

Unfortunately for McLaughlin, he reminds me of myself when it comes to the bad as well. I, too, struggled with pressure kicks. Anxiety would creep in like a MF and I'd get so much inside my head that I would lose focus on the basics. What happened to McLaughlin on the OT kick happened to me more times than I want to admit, sadly -- striking the dirt first, completely altering the strike point and punching it way off line. I never missed a kick unless it was a pressure kick. If only I never had to attempt one, lol. It was awesome and a lot of fun to make a big kick though. DB/WR was fun too, but I loved kicking more than anything.

I don't root for the guy to fail or anything, so hopefully he can overcome that mental hurdle before he loses his chance. But it's easier said than done. Sometimes it just takes experience, sometimes it's just ingrained into a guy's psyche.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 11, 2019 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Sucks, i liked this guy.

But i wonder what would have happened if we had Gould in that seattle game.

12-1
Never seen a kicker look so visibly psyched out before big kicks. Dude seems to be in his own head too much.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Dude is a gonna be a good kicker in the league.

He misses every big kick and pressure kick he tries.

Funny, I agree with both of you. He looks good but I worry that he'll always have that "big moment" issue.
Kickers are kickers. They come and go. You ride them when they're hot and dump them when they're cold. Maybe the most mentally challenging position on the team. When you start getting the yips it's hard to get over. You strain a muscle in either leg or tear something and it could be over. It's a much tougher position than a lot of people realize even though a very high percentage of games are won or lost by these guys.
  • dj43
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Kickers are kickers. They come and go. You ride them when they're hot and dump them when they're cold. Maybe the most mentally challenging position on the team. When you start getting the yips it's hard to get over. You strain a muscle in either leg or tear something and it could be over. It's a much tougher position than a lot of people realize even though a very high percentage of games are won or lost by these guys.

Kickers are a lot like pro golfers. They can all hit great shots, but only the ones who can control their emotions are able to consistently hit great shots. So it is with kickers. Some may have a slightly stronger leg than others but they can all put it between the uprights every time in practice. Game time is different.
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
Pretty much the entire league is struggling with their placekickers except for maybe 3-4 teams.

Which is another reason why you have to question what you're not seeing in practice for a guy that's been on five teams in one year.

I'm not rooting against him or anything, but I don't really get the fascination with him either.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Never seen a kicker look so visibly psyched out before big kicks. Dude seems to be in his own head too much.

Can almost guarantee that's what's going on. "Don't mess up, don't mess up, don't mess up, please don't mess u-- crap I messed up."
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
Pretty much the entire league is struggling with their placekickers except for maybe 3-4 teams.

Which is another reason why you have to question what you're not seeing in practice for a guy that's been on five teams in one year.

I'm not rooting against him or anything, but I don't really get the fascination with him either.

He is fascinating because Gould has sucked and been unreliable this year.
This miss wasnt a choke like the one for us was. This was a good kick. Just missed

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Janitor:
He's looks absurdly nervous every time he goes to make a big kick. He's going to have to overcome that if he wants to amount to anything in the NFL

He just needs to make one game winner to get past the mental block. He's got a good leg. The ball looks good (way better than Gould) when it's in the air. But after every miss in the clutch that blocks gonna get bigger and bigger.

Agree
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
This miss wasnt a choke like the one for us was. This was a good kick. Just missed

Important distinction, IMO.

It was a big kick and he didn't totally shank it.

As soon as he nails one, and gets the feel of his feet beneath him with all that adrenaline, then he turns the experience into a method. From there, the pressure goes down precipitously.
Didn't even realize he was signed so quick, one would think it's a real possibility he would've missed the game winning kick vs the Saints
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

If it was a good kick, it wouldn't have missed, lol. That's like saying to a boxer, "That was a nice punching motion -- just missed!"
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 12, 2019 at 6:03 AM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If it was a good kick, it wouldn't have missed, lol. That's like saying to a boxer, "That was a nice punching motion -- just missed!"

Share 49ersWebzone