LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Mobile quarterbacks

Shop 49ers game tickets
For every good mobile QB, there's three more who aren't. Just ask BJ Daniels, Brett Hundley or Joe Webb.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No. They won't. Only thing that will slow these guys down is injury or if they rely too much on physical ability and don't do their homework. I think guys these days understand that you pass first and then run only when you have to.

Plus most of these guys dominated in college so it was only a matter of time before coaches cooked up something so they could dominate in the league

Every QB dominates at Oklahoma. Between the system and the horrible pass defense in the Big 12 it's a 3 ring circus for offense.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 20, 2019 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Chargers could have used a mobile QB there to maybe run it in if the Chiefs were playing coverage.

We have seen on numerous occasions where a mobile QB runs forward to pick up a key 1st down. Hell Mahomes did it earlier.

As much as you'd want a QB who can hit all parts of the field at anytime...one key downs to end a game... you do still have to rely on a good call, receivers doing their job, linemen not f'ing up...and again recievers catching the ball.

But when you can use your legs to pick up 7 to convert a key first down...you don't have to worry about all those things to work all for one play.

The thing with having a regular drop back QB today is, you hope he's good enough to usually have you up on pts so you're not in that scenario in the first place week after week.

So imo... either you have an ELITE pocket passer like Brady...or good to great pocket passer who can move around in the pocket (Rodgers, Jimmy, Ben in his prime)....or a good passer with elite athleticism.

What's scary about Russell is he's moving toward Elite everything...and he's a vet compared to Mahomes whoes next in line...and Lamar who is trying to get there.

Edit- and obviously Rodgers is an Elite passer, just didn't want to put him in the same statue category as Brady.

After watching watching Kyler Murray for 2 games against us. I think he is the next Russell Wilson. He looks to pass first and will elude rushers and look to pass first. He already is a better runner than Wilson and at this stage of Kyler's career compared to Russell at the same stage, Kyler is a better pocket passer. He'll stay healthier than Jackson, who loves to run.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Depends on the type. There are different types of mobility. Without the traditional elite QB traits a mobile QB who lacks escapability is not worth much. Even if they are not the same, I'd take the mobility of a Russell Wilson, Steve Young, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, or Deshaun Watson over the mobility a Colin Kaepernick any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Those guys have an escapability that extends plays as opposed to just fantastic straight line speed with awkward movement that gets taken down easily.
I'd love for kyle to draft or get an UDFA guy that has the potential to be a Steve Young. He was elite on both sides as a runner and a passer. That, to me, is the ideal QB that can run *any system* -- but in Kyle's system, a guy like that can elevate Kyle's system to a dynasty super bowl quality level on the offensive side of the ball. A 6'2" guy like that would be going first pick in the first round in any draft, in my opinion.

Steve Young was undoubtedly a running quarterback but until his coaches taught him to stop taking off and to trust his OL he was not in my view a great one. There is a difference between a short scamper; regularly done by Joe and the later Steve and even once or twice by the static Dan Marino; and the likes of Lamar Jackson. True running quarterbacks, except Wilson, do not last long in the NFL unless, like Steve, they learn to be first and foremost a quarterback. And as a ps, worryingly Lamar Jackson does not seem to have a clue how to protect himself or about the times when discretion is the better part of valour.

Well there are several disadvantages to a running QB. 1 - long development time, because as Kyle Shanahan says, they tend to rely on their running game to get them out of trouble instead of staying in the pocket deliver the pass and take a hit. 2 - injuries, running QB's tend to get injured more than non-running QB's, simply because they are out there as a running back many times. (Cam Newton comes to mind), so there are distinct disadvantages to having a running QB.

Having said that, some advantages is that you really don't need a quality running back to run your offense if the QB isthe offenses running back. Secondly, 3rd and short is almost a 100% conversion rate because they can either pass it or run it, and so if the offense has a good enough passing attack and running attack to get the offense to 3rd and short, 2nd and short etc.. those kinds of offenses are unstoppable because they take away the defenses' man advantage on those downs.

Having said that, between steve young and a lesser mobile QB like a Joe Cool or Tom Brady, I'll still side with Tom Brady/Joe Montana because the QB's main job is really to get the ball out to his RBs, WR's, and TE's. But running QB's sure are handy against elite defenses.
I do not see the NFL catching up to russell wilson. But i also do not see him playing into his late 30s early 40s. He relies on his athleticism to be great and his height keeps him from becoming aaron rodgers.

For kyler murray see russell wilson.

For watson, jackson, newton, etc if they can develop a pocket presence and accurate arms (they slready have touch) to beat defenses through read progressions they can have a long career.

When their athleticism falters will they still have the tools to beat defenses.
Well there are several disadvantages to a running QB. 1 - long development time, because as Kyle Shanahan says, they tend to rely on their running game to get them out of trouble instead of staying in the pocket deliver the pass and take a hit. 2 - injuries, running QB's tend to get injured more than non-running QB's, simply because they are out there as a running back many times. (Cam Newton comes to mind), so there are distinct disadvantages to having a running QB.

Having said that, some advantages is that you really don't need a quality running back to run your offense if the QB isthe offenses running back. Secondly, 3rd and short is almost a 100% conversion rate because they can either pass it or run it, and so if the offense has a good enough passing attack and running attack to get the offense to 3rd and short, 2nd and short etc.. those kinds of offenses are unstoppable because they take away the defenses' man advantage on those downs.

Having said that, between steve young and a lesser mobile QB like a Joe Cool or Tom Brady, I'll still side with Tom Brady/Joe Montana because the QB's main job is really to get the ball out to his RBs, WR's, and TE's. But running QB's sure are handy against elite defenses.

Nail>< you

I will take drew brees, peyton manning, or a tom brady over late 80s early 90s steve young. But mid-late 90s steve young over EVERYONE. He could throw short, medium, and deep. And he was happy to do it from the pocket.

He lacked a RB and a dominant defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

Nail>< you

I will take drew brees, peyton manning, or a tom brady over late 80s early 90s steve young. But mid-late 90s steve young over EVERYONE. He could throw short, medium, and deep. And he was happy to do it from the pocket.

He lacked a RB and a dominant defense.

Yes, it's a team game. You can have an elite QB like you said (Mid 90's Steve Young) but if you don't have a defense or a running game, you aren't going to win many games.

A slow footed QB is supposedly easier to pass protect for, because the OLinemen know the QB isn't going to be doing crazy running things. He's either going to do a 3, 5 or 7 step drop back and be in the exact same place all the time. So in a sense, the OLinemen don't have to really figure out what to do on a given pass protection play. Whereas a running QB, tends to be unpredictable for his offensive linemen - so they tend to be more or less uncertain about how they set up and where they hold ground.
Wilson will still have to show he can carry the Seahawks in the postseason before I anoint him the great one.

2015 he was ballin' out stats wise then looked like garbage in the playoffs.

2016/2018 kinda similar. Come January, he underperforms.

This year he will likely face a similar fate.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
For every good mobile QB, there's three more who aren't. Just ask BJ Daniels, Brett Hundley or Joe Webb.

We can say the same about pocket passers. For every great pocket passer there's countless s****y ones.
One reason the mobile qb's will become more important is how s**tty offensive lineman have become with a lot of teams running the spread. Year after year o line play is just falling off across the board. With more spread and less practice time these guys aren't getting coached up how they used too. Your qb better be able to escape and make plays down field with a pass or his legs.

Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

We can say the same about pocket passers. For every great pocket passer there's countless s****y ones.

Exactly. One thing to mention is that's a 9-1 ratio though.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
I do not see the NFL catching up to russell wilson. But i also do not see him playing into his late 30s early 40s. He relies on his athleticism to be great and his height keeps him from becoming aaron rodgers.

For kyler murray see russell wilson.

For watson, jackson, newton, etc if they can develop a pocket presence and accurate arms (they slready have touch) to beat defenses through read progressions they can have a long career.

When their athleticism falters will they still have the tools to beat defenses.

RW has developed into a really good passer. His athleticism declining will not hurt him as much. As far his height goes, Brees and Young did just fine.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
The NFL eventually caught up with Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Kaepernick and all mobile QBs before. They will eventually catch up to the modern day mobile QBs we have nowadays and shut them down. It's only a matter of time.

Moon had a 10 years of being really good lol, he fell after. Cunnigham was good for about 5 years early in his career, but injuries piled on. And Vick went to prison lol. Outside of Kap, none of those names you mentioned made sense.
The NFL eventually caught up with Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Kaepernick and all mobile QBs before. They will eventually catch up to the modern day mobile QBs we have nowadays and shut them down. It's only a matter of time.

Tell me you are confusing Warren Moon with another QB?

Edit- I shouldn't give you an out.. but I'm guessing you meant Steve McNair? Although he was built like CAM and ran hard, he was called Air McNair for a reason.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 22, 2019 at 1:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Tell me you are confusing Warren Moon with another QB?

Edit- I shouldn't give you an out.. but I'm guessing you meant Steve McNair? Although he was built like CAM and ran hard, he was called Air McNair for a reason.

McNair also had a good career. Same with McNabb.

Problem is people are looking at todays QBs longevity and are thinking that all QBs had nearly 20 year careers like Peyton,Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc.

Thats only happened now, guys like Testaverde and Gannon and Marino were very rare. Most good QBs had 10-12 year careers back then.

And I know people point at RG3, but those were acl injuries, that can happen to anyone. You wouldn't tell a WR to stop running bc of acl injury fear. A better example is Cam, that guy taking so many hits has caught up to him. But hes still had a good career. Rather have him for 8 years than a QB like Dalton.
Share 49ersWebzone