There are 253 users in the forums

Mobile quarterbacks

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Depends on the type. There are different types of mobility. Without the traditional elite QB traits a mobile QB who lacks escapability is not worth much. Even if they are not the same, I'd take the mobility of a Russell Wilson, Steve Young, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, or Deshaun Watson over the mobility a Colin Kaepernick any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Those guys have an escapability that extends plays as opposed to just fantastic straight line speed with awkward movement that gets taken down easily.
I'd love for kyle to draft or get an UDFA guy that has the potential to be a Steve Young. He was elite on both sides as a runner and a passer. That, to me, is the ideal QB that can run *any system* -- but in Kyle's system, a guy like that can elevate Kyle's system to a dynasty super bowl quality level on the offensive side of the ball. A 6'2" guy like that would be going first pick in the first round in any draft, in my opinion.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Lamar is the new prototype of mobile QB who can actually throw, AND has elite running vision.

He's changing the game with those two factors.

Yes, but Cam and RG3 were agile like Lamar. So was Mike Vick.

But running in the middle of the field is a dangerous game long term. If he was running along the sidelines where he could step out of bounds, great.. or if he slid in the middle of the field with defenders far from him, great.

But Lamar is literally taking hits like a RB in the middle of the field at times. Like how Cam used to.

And Cam is 6'5" 250...and he was STILL getting hurt. Lamar is 6'2 212.. similar to RG3

That's it. They don't hold up over time. They look like world beaters until the injuries start to pile up. The longevity and ability to play week to week will come into play. For Lamar too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Only thing I have to say about mobile QB's, ones who like to take off and run Mike Vick style don't last too long in the spotlight. kthxbye.
Depends on the type. There are different types of mobility. Without the traditional elite QB traits a mobile QB who lacks escapability is not worth much. Even if they are not the same, I'd take the mobility of a Russell Wilson, Steve Young, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, or Deshaun Watson over the mobility a Colin Kaepernick any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Those guys have an escapability that extends plays as opposed to just fantastic straight line speed with awkward movement that gets taken down easily.

Kap and his terrible pocket presence, and virtual zero escapability and god awful hip movement which led to disastrous sacks?! Yeah, I'm good!
The NFL eventually caught up with Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Kaepernick and all mobile QBs before. They will eventually catch up to the modern day mobile QBs we have nowadays and shut them down. It's only a matter of time.
Mobile quarterbacks can't be judged on a 2 or even 3 year window. Let defensive coordinators see them several times and find ways to stop them. How will they mature in that time span, how will injuries force them to stay in the pocket.
Its fitting that the one mobile QB we decided to get besides Steve Young (Kaep) regressed f**king hard.

Meanwhile, I see all these other mobile QBs do just fine. Watson, Jackson, Wilson, Murray.

I'm still waiting for this so called regression for Russell Wilson and I don't see it happening for quite a while
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Lamar is the new prototype of mobile QB who can actually throw, AND has elite running vision.

He's changing the game with those two factors.

Yes, but Cam and RG3 were agile like Lamar. So was Mike Vick.

But running in the middle of the field is a dangerous game long term. If he was running along the sidelines where he could step out of bounds, great.. or if he slid in the middle of the field with defenders far from him, great.

But Lamar is literally taking hits like a RB in the middle of the field at times. Like how Cam used to.

And Cam is 6'5" 250...and he was STILL getting hurt. Lamar is 6'2 212.. similar to RG3

That's it. They don't hold up over time. They look like world beaters until the injuries start to pile up. The longevity and ability to play week to week will come into play. For Lamar too.

You guys are mistaken. Lamar has unprecedented, ELITE running vision. Look up his highlights this year and see that he takes angles like he's Alvin Kamara.

I've never seen a QB run like that. Cam, Rg3 and Vick just gashed defenses with open lanes. Meanwhile Greg Roman designs RPOs with Lamar as the primary runner.

It's a game changer and we're all witnesses.
[ Edited by D0PEMAN on Nov 19, 2019 at 7:34 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
The NFL eventually caught up with Moon, Cunningham, Vick, Kaepernick and all mobile QBs before. They will eventually catch up to the modern day mobile QBs we have nowadays and shut them down. It's only a matter of time.

No. They won't. Only thing that will slow these guys down is injury or if they rely too much on physical ability and don't do their homework. I think guys these days understand that you pass first and then run only when you have to.

Plus most of these guys dominated in college so it was only a matter of time before coaches cooked up something so they could dominate in the league
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Nov 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Its fitting that the one mobile QB we decided to get besides Steve Young (Kaep) regressed f**king hard.

Meanwhile, I see all these other mobile QBs do just fine. Watson, Jackson, Wilson, Murray.

I'm still waiting for this so called regression for Russell Wilson and I don't see it happening for quite a while

Watson, Jackson, and Murray still have to prove themselves in the playoffs.

Hell you saw what happened to Watson against the Ravens defense.

Also explain "regressed f**king hard"?

And after Steve and before Kap, we had Jeff.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 19, 2019 at 9:42 PM ]

Originally posted by Ensatsu:

I think RW is different. I'm pretty convinced Lamar Jackson will have a tough year next year. Can't wait to see what coaches come up with to slow him down. Also, I refuse to believe the same Greg Roman we saw here and in Buffalo, all of a sudden is a decent O.C.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

No. They won't. Only thing that will slow these guys down is injury or if they rely too much on physical ability and don't do their homework. I think guys these days understand that you pass first and then run only when you have to.

Plus most of these guys dominated in college so it was only a matter of time before coaches cooked up something so they could dominate in the league

Give NFL DCs a full season or two of tapes and they will find a way to shut these guys down. R.Wilson is the only exception, IMO. As much as I hate the Seahawks, he's a special talent. Take R.Wilson out and Seahawks will be the next Redskins.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'd love for kyle to draft or get an UDFA guy that has the potential to be a Steve Young. He was elite on both sides as a runner and a passer. That, to me, is the ideal QB that can run *any system* -- but in Kyle's system, a guy like that can elevate Kyle's system to a dynasty super bowl quality level on the offensive side of the ball. A 6'2" guy like that would be going first pick in the first round in any draft, in my opinion.

Steve Young was undoubtedly a running quarterback but until his coaches taught him to stop taking off and to trust his OL he was not in my view a great one. There is a difference between a short scamper; regularly done by Joe and the later Steve and even once or twice by the static Dan Marino; and the likes of Lamar Jackson. True running quarterbacks, except Wilson, do not last long in the NFL unless, like Steve, they learn to be first and foremost a quarterback. And as a ps, worryingly Lamar Jackson does not seem to have a clue how to protect himself or about the times when discretion is the better part of valour.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Kyle Murray was more effective against us then he should have been. That was part inexperience and lack of discipline on our part. Both Warner and Greenlaw made mistakes with their assignments about covering the running back or Murray and Murray made them pay for it. IF Alexander was there and every one was following their assignments to the letter then Murray would hardly every have escaped from the pocket. Saleh had planned it right but it wasn't executed the way he planned a lot of the time. When it didn't happen right Murray exploited it.

So all the hubhub about mobile quarterback in this thread would not be happening if 1. Alexander was not injured. 2. If Warner and Greenlaw had been watching who they were assigned to be watching.

It did not matter in the end because we beat the Cards. But it is going to matter this weekend when we play GB. That don't want to let Rogers have a long leash as he will make them pay hard. If they tighten it up and show discipline to making their assignments and our offense fires as it should we will beat them.

I would also add that Jimmy will get more mobile, and mobile enough, as he gains more confidence in his knee. I noted in one play he got hit and twisted awkwardly and grimaced really badly. I thought he was injured. He limped for a bit afterward but then seemed ok. That sort of incident shows me he is still not 100% confident in his knee but it will improve and he will gain confidence. He will also gain more confidence from experience and I bet he will get more mobile. Remember he injured his knee trying to run those few extra yards then got hit.
Originally posted by thl408:
Do you pronounce it "mo-bill" or "mo-bile"?

Its a French word so its pronounced mo-bill-eyyy, duh.
Share 49ersWebzone