There are 199 users in the forums

Melvin Gordon wants new contract could demand trade

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean he wouldn't be the first guy to hold out under the 5th yr option pretty sure Mack did it last yr...part of the issue imo is how little RB contracts are overall. His 5th yr option (which is the avg of the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player's position) is like $5M AA and Ward's 5th yr options were like $4 & $3M more lol WTF.

I get the whole RB is replaceable but they formed over a 1st rd pick for this kid, he's touching the ball 20+ times a game and pass-blocking. Pay him what he's worth....in the same token I think WRs overall are overpaid (outside of the elite dudes) they're imo one of the most dependent positions in football. Can't tell me Jamison Crowder is worth $9.5M this yr but not Gordon.

I think shorter contracts with more guaranteed cash might be a thing in the future.

It's b******t, they're under appreciated but you need two good backs now so maybe that could explain some of the pay drop off. Probably still the best all around, pure football players on the field, but the game has changed a lot. Pretty soon it will be two hand touch.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean he wouldn't be the first guy to hold out under the 5th yr option pretty sure Mack did it last yr...part of the issue imo is how little RB contracts are overall. His 5th yr option (which is the avg of the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player's position) is like $5M AA and Ward's 5th yr options were like $4 & $3M more lol WTF.

I get the whole RB is replaceable but they formed over a 1st rd pick for this kid, he's touching the ball 20+ times a game and pass-blocking. Pay him what he's worth....in the same token I think WRs overall are overpaid (outside of the elite dudes) they're imo one of the most dependent positions in football. Can't tell me Jamison Crowder is worth $9.5M this yr but not Gordon.

I think shorter contracts with more guaranteed cash might be a thing in the future.

It's b******t, they're under appreciated but you need two good backs now so maybe that could explain some of the pay drop off. Probably still the best all around, pure football players on the field, but the game has changed a lot. Pretty soon it will be two hand touch.

This is WHY Jalen Hurd switched from RB to WR in college. He saw how short the NFL RB career is vs WR and the pay disparity.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean he wouldn't be the first guy to hold out under the 5th yr option pretty sure Mack did it last yr...part of the issue imo is how little RB contracts are overall. His 5th yr option (which is the avg of the 3rd-25th highest Prior Year Salaries for the player's position) is like $5M AA and Ward's 5th yr options were like $4 & $3M more lol WTF.

I get the whole RB is replaceable but they formed over a 1st rd pick for this kid, he's touching the ball 20+ times a game and pass-blocking. Pay him what he's worth....in the same token I think WRs overall are overpaid (outside of the elite dudes) they're imo one of the most dependent positions in football. Can't tell me Jamison Crowder is worth $9.5M this yr but not Gordon.

I think shorter contracts with more guaranteed cash might be a thing in the future.

It's b******t, they're under appreciated but you need two good backs now so maybe that could explain some of the pay drop off. Probably still the best all around, pure football players on the field, but the game has changed a lot. Pretty soon it will be two hand touch.

Yeah I mean there's money to give out...They keep low balling the RB position say goodbye to top athletes playing that position. No Zeke/Barkley type talent there.
Originally posted by 9erred:
This is WHY Jalen Hurd switched from RB to WR in college. He saw how short the NFL RB career is vs WR and the pay disparity.

Right and it's BS imo. These top end RBs can block, catch, and run. They should be paid accordingly.
Gonna fail like Leveon.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
how about no lol

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
If they don't want to pay Gordon, they definitely aren't paying Gordon, and a RB isn't worth that 2nd round pick with the backs we already have.

What I would do is give 2020 1st, tevin Coleman, and Richard Sherman for Gordon and Casey Heyward.

how about no lol

The 1st rounder is for Heyward, who is definitely worth a mid to late 1st, and at a position of extreme need. Taking Gordon off their hands is to sweeten the deal for them, making it more likely to give up a top CB, and he's a definite upgrade to Coleman
Man is this the new norm now? Cry about your contract, demand trades. Lol it's a fkn contract that you're obligated too. Ball out and get paid. I understand the protecting yourself as an asset but it's gotten silly. Most people can't go into their bosses office and demand a raise or they walk. Own it Gordon. Man up and go let your game dictate your next pay.
I sure as hell wouldn't cave in. You want a trade? Then fine. Not one person is above the team. You won't win like that. I say trade his ass.
He must think this is the NBA.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 38,430
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Gonna fail like Leveon.

Bell is getting top 5 guaranteed money.
trade bosa for him.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Gonna fail like Leveon.

Bell is getting top 5 guaranteed money.

Lol this.

Its tough to be a RB in todays NFL. You basically take the most punishment and are asked to do more than any other position. They have to run the ball, pass block, catch, sometimes even run block. And now they are under payed and are expandable.

I think one solution is to have them make more guaranteed money coming out of college, but have a shorter contract, even if they are a first round pick. 3 year contracts would be better, that way they will be 25 and still in their prime and able to get that 2nd big contract. Another thing, maybe change the cap numbers when signing a RB. Example, 1 year deal worth 5 mil, wont cost 5 mil against the cap, but more like 4 mil.
I know it would never happen. But I would love to have Gordon on this team.
As long as your oline is good...

RBs come around every season,B.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 515
I think we are stacked at the RB Position. He might replace Gurley thought.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
As long as your oline is good...

RBs come around every season,B.

Yep.
Share 49erswebzone