LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Idea: Re-Mapping the Divisons

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
i dont want the nfc east split up. I like their rivalries. I think everything is perfect as - is

This is exactly what huge portions of fans say whenever this topic is brought up. Which is why it's hard to change it. But geographically and travel wise for ease of travel there could definitely be much better divisions established than the current setup. But because of this the NFL will almost certainly never change it or at least not any time soon.
Originally posted by SisterFister:
Appreciate the effort but you killed a lot of good rivalries.

Ravens-Steelers
Saints-Falcons
The entire NFC East and NFC South is now ruined.
Chargers vs Broncos and Chiefs now gone.

I get that, but at the flip side new better ones could emerge.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by SisterFister:
Appreciate the effort but you killed a lot of good rivalries.

Ravens-Steelers
Saints-Falcons
The entire NFC East and NFC South is now ruined.
Chargers vs Broncos and Chiefs now gone.

I get that, but at the flip side new better ones could emerge.

Anything could happen. That isn't the point.The owners are not going to sacrifice the revenue created by these old-established rivalries on the offchance that new and better ones might emerge. Or might not.

Most unlikely that any form of remapping of the divisions beyond slight shifts of unimportant teams is even considered.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wouldn't mind seeing division realignment, but don't think it happens until the league expands.

Has something come out about this? Because I thought any expansion was a dead issue for the foreseeable?

I read recently there was bids for expansion in several cities but can't really recall what the timeline was. If they could add four teams, they could just go back to three divisions, 6 teams each.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I read recently there was bids for expansion in several cities but can't really recall what the timeline was. If they could add four teams, they could just go back to three divisions, 6 teams each.
Any idea's what cities could get an expansion team?
Just a fun idea I had today, while being bored at work. I thought we used to have a thread on this?
This would all be based on travel/distance for the teams. Rivalries would only get better in my opinion. I did this by just looking at a map.

NFC North: (same)
Lions, Packers, Vikings and Bears

AFC North: (1 new team)
Browns, Bengals, Colts and Steelers

NFC East: (2 new teams)
Eagles, Redskins, Ravens and Panthers

AFC East: (1 new team)
Pats, Bills, Jets and Giants

NFC South: (2 new teams)
Bucs, Falcons, Dolphins and Jags

AFC South: (2 new teams)
Titans, Texans, Dallas and Saints

NFC West: (1 new team)
49ers, Seattle, Chargers, and Rams

AFC West: (1 new team)
Vegas, Chiefs, Denver and ARZ

Yes. Let's vote for polls. I agreed with you. We should suggest to Roger Goodell!!
No way they ever put the skins and ravens in the same division. mess up way too much traffic and local tv...s**t the stadiums only 25 miles apart already...no way they move the ravens away form the steelers...too much of a rivalry game now
Just a fun idea I had today, while being bored at work. I thought we used to have a thread on this?
This would all be based on travel/distance for the teams. Rivalries would only get better in my opinion. I did this by just looking at a map.

I don't agree with this. Both LA and NY teams have to be in different conferences. The NFC East will never be broken up. The only changes I can see is moving Miami out of the AFC east and into the AFC south and moving the Colts into the AFC east. That's all I see happening, and even then, it's not happening. Too much money and rivalries built up to make changes like that.
Originally posted by 16to87:
Any idea's what cities could get an expansion team?

London, Mexico City, Frankfurt, Tokyo.

j/k.
Originally posted by CV49er:

I don't agree with this. Both LA and NY teams have to be in different conferences. The NFC East will never be broken up. The only changes I can see is moving Miami out of the AFC east and into the AFC south and moving the Colts into the AFC east. That's all I see happening, and even then, it's not happening. Too much money and rivalries built up to make changes like that.

I appreciate your thoughts. I know already it's a long shot.

Belichick and Brady wouldn't like this at all if this was the setup the last 10 years. Now, they probably wouldn't care.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for All22.
Originally posted by Mayor:
If they really want to increase revenues, they have to enter new markets. So, I believe they only realign divisions if they add more teams. Probably four. I'd like to see a team in Portland and San Antonio. I suppose that could be used to cut off preseason games.

San Antonio is not a sports town. Austin needs a team badly though.

In all seriousness, San Jose and San Francisco need separate teams.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Belichick and Brady wouldn't like this at all if this was the setup the last 10 years. Now, they probably wouldn't care.

Why? Eli ain't beating them until Jan/Feb.
Fun post!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Fun post!

Thanks man!
Share 49ersWebzone