LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 300 users in the forums

Idea: Re-Mapping the Divisons

Shop 49ers game tickets
Just a fun idea I had today, while being bored at work. I thought we used to have a thread on this?
This would all be based on travel/distance for the teams. Rivalries would only get better in my opinion. I did this by just looking at a map.

NFC North: (same)
Lions, Packers, Vikings and Bears

AFC North: (1 new team)
Browns, Bengals, Colts and Steelers

NFC East: (2 new teams)
Eagles, Redskins, Ravens and Panthers

AFC East: (1 new team)
Pats, Bills, Jets and Giants

NFC South: (2 new teams)
Bucs, Falcons, Dolphins and Jags

AFC South: (2 new teams)
Titans, Texans, Dallas and Saints

NFC West: (1 new team)
49ers, Seattle, Chargers, and Rams

AFC West: (1 new team)
Vegas, Chiefs, Denver and ARZ
I wouldn't mind seeing division realignment, but don't think it happens until the league expands.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I wouldn't mind seeing division realignment, but don't think it happens until the league expands.

yeah, how many teams would they add? Cause or 1 or 2 would mess up the divisions.
Teams that share stadiums can't be in the same conference so Chargers in The NFC West wouldn't work and Giants in the AFC East wouldn't work either
Colts and Lions should swap.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Teams that share stadiums can't be in the same conference so Chargers in The NFC West wouldn't work and Giants in the AFC East wouldn't work either

Is that a league rule? When they payed each other they could alternate on who the home team is.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Colts and Lions should swap.

I thought that same thing. But that only increases travel for those 3 teams in the nfc north
I have always mused about a California-only division: SF, LAR, LAC, and OAK. Not really a possibility after next year, due to Vegas. Also, as someone else mentioned - stadium sharing issue.
Brady became the pats starter in 2001. In 2002 the colts moved from afc east to the newly formed afc south. This move ended up costing fans an additional brady vs manning game every yr for about a decade until peyton went to denver.
Originally posted by kelson49er:
I have always mused about a California-only division: SF, LAR, LAC, and OAK. Not really a possibility after next year, due to Vegas. Also, as someone else mentioned - stadium sharing issue.

yeah that would be the only real main problem to sort out though.

Originally posted by TheXFactor:

yeah, how many teams would they add? Cause or 1 or 2 would mess up the divisions.

It would be a mess. They would have to merge divisions, otherwise they gotta add 8 new teams.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Just a fun idea I had today, while being bored at work. I thought we used to have a thread on this?
This would all be based on travel/distance for the teams. Rivalries would only get better in my opinion. I did this by just looking at a map.

NFC North: (same)
Lions, Packers, Vikings and Bears

AFC North: (1 new team)
Browns, Bengals, Colts and Steelers

NFC East: (2 new teams)
Eagles, Redskins, Ravens and Panthers

AFC East: (1 new team)
Pats, Bills, Jets and Giants

NFC South: (2 new teams)
Bucs, Falcons, Dolphins and Jags

AFC South: (2 new teams)
Titans, Texans, Dallas and Saints

NFC West: (1 new team)
49ers, Seattle, Chargers, and Rams

AFC West: (1 new team)
Vegas, Chiefs, Denver and ARZ

I like this very much
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
they'll never EVER break up the NFC East. having the Rams and Chargers in the same division and conference is stupid.

Has something come out about this? Because I thought any expansion was a dead issue for the foreseeable?
Originally posted by boast:
they'll never EVER break up the NFC East. having the Rams and Chargers in the same division and conference is stupid.

agreed .... they will never move the cowboys out of the nfc east
Share 49ersWebzone