LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 152 users in the forums

BRADY - ROGERS - GOFF

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
The Rams D is a bunch of tryhards they got through free agency.. They're not actually all that great as a unit, still better than KC's D.

Goff looks to be very good at this point, he has it all. If he continues to have good coaching and good supporting cast he could win more SB than Rodgers
(1 SB), stat wise it all depends...

Can't wait till the Rams lose to the bears, and get surprised in one of their last Divisional games of the season (please let it be us) end up with a first round wild card game, and are one and done.
Originally posted by 9moon:
HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS would rather have Jimmy over Goff tho??

I would. Surprised you go for Goff.
  • dj43
Isn't flag football fun?
Originally posted by dj43:
Isn't flag football fun?

I'm not likening the "new" NFL, I miss defense.

Without defense all this offense seems hollow.

It's becoming like the NBA, all you need to watch is the last five minutes.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
First off, plenty of teams passed on Brady, second You really think Rodgers would have been any better getting tossed to the wolves like Smith was?
No o-line, no recievers, just Vernon and Gore. Horrible offensive COs, man Rodgers wouldn't have done s**t.
Rodgers got to sit behind a HOFer, and work with a great offensive staff, so move on.

Lastly Goff? Yeah we weren't making that trade, and with our staff at the time, we might have ruined him!

As for comparisons, I'll leave Goff out, to small a sample size.

Brady, great intangibles, passed over in the draft, plays like a champion when the chips are down, he is the modern Joe Montana

Rodgers, all the physical talent, highly touted in the draft, makes amazing plays, puts up crazy numbers, Dan Marino, with a super bowl win.

You're welcome

Nice post but disagree with the bold part

Yes, Rodgers would have been amazing here even with gore and vernon

He never had a fantastic rb there, his best te was cook and he makes his own wr great. Is not like Cobb, Jones, Jennings and Jordy would have or have been better elsewhere.

That mistake by nolan set the franchise back for a really long time.

He is the one to blame for our bad qb situation for more than a decade. We are still paying for his terribly awful decision
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
First off, plenty of teams passed on Brady, second You really think Rodgers would have been any better getting tossed to the wolves like Smith was?
No o-line, no recievers, just Vernon and Gore. Horrible offensive COs, man Rodgers wouldn't have done s**t.
Rodgers got to sit behind a HOFer, and work with a great offensive staff, so move on.

Lastly Goff? Yeah we weren't making that trade, and with our staff at the time, we might have ruined him!

As for comparisons, I'll leave Goff out, to small a sample size.

Brady, great intangibles, passed over in the draft, plays like a champion when the chips are down, he is the modern Joe Montana

Rodgers, all the physical talent, highly touted in the draft, makes amazing plays, puts up crazy numbers, Dan Marino, with a super bowl win.

You're welcome

Nice post but disagree with the bold part

Yes, Rodgers would have been amazing here even with gore and vernon

He never had a fantastic rb there, his best te was cook and he makes his own wr great. Is not like Cobb, Jones, Jennings and Jordy would have or have been better elsewhere.

That mistake by nolan set the franchise back for a really long time.

He is the one to blame for our bad qb situation for more than a decade. We are still paying for his terribly awful decision

Alex Smith should have sued Mike Nolan for malpractice! Any one he had here would have been doomed!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 20, 2018 at 5:16 PM ]
Brady went in the 6th round so teams passed on him round after round. There is no excuse with Rogers, Nolan was not the person to make such a decision, but the organization gave him full power and the dark ages continued.
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers should tank to draft Jared's brother, Jack, in 2021.

Tank? I expect us to br picking first anyway.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

You rather have Jimmy because you think he's better than Goff or because he's a 49er right now?

Me, me, me

Everyone would take Goff over Jimmy unless they are diehard 49er fans.

You rather have Jimmy because you think he's better than Goff or because he's a 49er right now?

I think he is better than Goff.

I think he is better than Goff.

I think Jimmy is better then Goff also.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I would but I'd also take McVay over Shanahan.

This same argument gets brought up whenever the 49ers passing on Rodgers is mentioned. It's invalid, and if you ever watch Rodgers play you'd know why. The guy makes magic happen, repeatedly. He has "it." That cannot be taught and there is no other way to describe what he does. It has nothing to do with coaching, a system, or sitting on the bench for 3 years - none of that would have impacted the aforementioned trait. Would he have been the all-time great that he currently is? That can be debated and questioned. But to act like he would have failed just because someone else didn't conquer the situation is pure nonsense.

Him having "no O-line" in SF? He didn't have one to start his career in GB, either. He was running for his life on almost every snap and his O-line has never been anything more than mediocre the entire time he's been there. In fact, the 49ers O-Line in 2006 - the one he would have been operating behind in year 2 if we had chosen him - was better than anything he has ever had.
"No receivers, just Vernon and Gore?" Rodgers has made receivers in GB. When they leave, what do they accomplish without him? And he's NEVER had an offensive weapon close to Frank Gore to alleviate the burden of having to throw without a run game.
"Terrible OCs?" Norv Turner in 2006 would likely have brought out the dominant passer in Rodgers! Alex had the weapons and the system to light it up that year, but couldn't do it. Rodgers is far more talented, so it stands to reason he would have had a good season, which could have been the launch pad needed to get his career heading down the path it ultimately did. This is obviously just an assumption, but I believe it holds more merit than the old "well, Alex failed due to this, this, and that, so Rodgers would have failed as well" argument.

Sitting on the bench for a few years helped Rodgers. I don't think anyone would argue against that. But to act like playing and gaining starting experience instead of sitting would have undoubtedly destroyed him is ridiculous. The idea that every QB needs to sit and watch before they can be effective has long been thrown out. And not every QB that gets "thrown to the wolves" winds up broken. Nothing about Aaron Rodgers suggests he would have suffered that fate. This is an argument that 49ers fans use as a defense mechanism to ease the pain of passing on the better, more NFL-ready QB when we had the 1st overall pick!

Rodgers is an all time great and we made a HUGE mistake choosing Alex Smith over him. That's the fact of the matter. Acting like he wouldn't have done anything with his career if we had chosen him is just ludicrous. He isn't an average QB boosted by a system. There is no fluke in his game. He may have had a tougher path with the 49ers - and hey, maybe he never would have become as great as he is - but to act like he would have unquestionably failed is just unreasonable.
Share 49ersWebzone