LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 174 users in the forums

Earl Thomas FS

Shop 49ers game tickets

Earl Thomas FS

let me guess, 49ers almost pulled this signing off too?
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
As reported, it's fully guaranteed, at 13.75M per season.

It's 32 guaranteed .
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

It's 32 guaranteed .

It sounds like a 2 year deal at 16 per year wrapped in a 4 year wrapper. Need all the details, though.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
How did we let Earl Thomas get away? What a shame. We spent all our money on LB's. We could have spread it out a little more. There are other positions.

Sorry earl Thomas is not worth that money at all no f**king way for a guy who's broken the same leg twice in three years gtfo . I like the deals we did with Alexander and Ford. We stole Ford from KC and Alexander could be a sleeper

Yeah, 55 mil is a TON for someone his age...
Originally posted by FaTaL:

this dude was way off.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:
It sounds like a 2 year deal at 16 per year wrapped in a 4 year wrapper. Need all the details, though.

He gets $22M in first year.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

It's 32 guaranteed .

I stand corrected, as it looks as if he'll get the $30M he desired:
"The source said the deal includes $32 million fully guaranteed at
signing, with $22 million coming in the first nine months"
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Mar 13, 2019 at 9:41 AM ]
  • thl408
Damn I badly wanted ET to stabilize the backend for a couple years. Colbert vs Ward/rookie in traning camp is not ideal but hopefully an improved pass rush will mask the inexperience.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by wailers15:
How did we let Earl Thomas get away? What a shame. We spent all our money on LB's. We could have spread it out a little more. There are other positions.

Sorry earl Thomas is not worth that money at all no f**king way for a guy who's broken the same leg twice in three years gtfo . I like the deals we did with Alexander and Ford. We stole Ford from KC and Alexander could be a sleeper

Yeah, 55 mil is a TON for someone his age...

The guy is a turnover machine when healthy. He is super elite. He can be good until 33 easily.
So basically a 2 year fully guaranty of 32 million, with 3rd and 4th year options. Too bad, I think he would have helped the young CBs opposite of Sherm develop.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Overkill:

He gets $22M in first year.

Right. And 32 guaranteed at signing. It sounds like that's how they got him past the 30 over two he was asking for.
  • dj43

It wasn't a money issue, per se. We still have plenty of money. It was a matter of value.

The Ravens were desperate for a safety having lost Weddle...and they have plenty of cash.

Also, Nasir Adderley will likely be sitting at #36 if Shanahan/Lynch want to go that way. He will be far less expensive and younger.

Thomas would have been nice but not at the price the Ravens paid.
Silver lining: At least he didn't go to the cowboys and is out of the NFC
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

It wasn't a money issue, per se. We still have plenty of money. It was a matter of value.

The Ravens were desperate for a safety having lost Weddle...and they have plenty of cash.

Also, Nasir Adderley will likely be sitting at #36 if Shanahan/Lynch want to go that way. He will be far less expensive and younger.

Thomas would have been nice but not at the price the Ravens paid.

Thomas is going to the HOF and still plays at that level. That would be a really sucky alternative. The Niners want to win right now. No more waiting on guys to maybe develop. 2019 is a playoff year. Thomas -- regardless of price -- made way too much sense for the Niners. This isn't doom and gloom. We will be ok. But this really hurts. I'm not a Lynch hater -- but I think he really whiffed here. This was a layup.
Share 49ersWebzone