There are 182 users in the forums

Khalil Mack thread

Shop 49ers game tickets

Khalil Mack thread

Originally posted by susweel:
word is he wants $20 million per year, just think what you can get for $20 million thats almost AA and Jimmie Ward combined.

Even if your comparison number is accurate, there isnt a person in the world that would rather have Jimmy Ward and AA than Khalil Mack. Come on sus.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Last dpoy to get traded?
I would give up 2 1st for Mack imo. He wants to make 20 million a year annually and I think he is worth it. Armstead and Jimmy combine for that much and which would you rather spend your money on? Yall want a legit passrusher, he is one.
Originally posted by Empire49:
But we ARE one or two players away - and pass rusher is the top need!

We don't need anything in the secondary and the front 7 would be one of the better units in the league with Buckner, Foster, and Mack on the same team. I'm not saying this would automatically make the unit a top 5 defense, but it would certainly put them in the top half (maybe top 10) with potential to be among the league's best. Combine a unit like that with a top offense (which we WILL have) and you are literally in contention for a championship. Our only glaring need on defense is pass rusher, and this addition would solve that.

On offense, a crappy line performed very well with Jimmy last year and is more talented this year. Could we upgrade there? Of course - especially at guard - but it isn't an area of great concern due to the personnel around them, the scheme, and the fact that Jimmy was able to mask the line's deficiencies last year. There's no indication he won't be able to do the same this year. The RB spots are very likely to be a strength due to the fit of all three guys in Shanahan's system. Hyde was fairly effective last year and he was a terrible fit for Shanahan's scheme. I will say we need a true WR1, but Garoppolo has proven to be able to make it work with the guys already here (plus Garcon now). Bottom line: Shanahan's system with Garoppolo at QB is going to be a top 5 unit that will run down the clock with or without a legit WR1. Shanahan will get points on the board regardless!

So, our glaring needs are pass rusher and WR1, in that order. People keep sticking to that "it takes three years" rhetoric, but we really aren't that far away RIGHT NOW. The main knock on the team is the lack of a pass rush. Khalil Mack would fix that.

With that said, I do believe Mack has disappeared in many games, and I'm not just talking about the stat line. I watch the raiders every week, and when Mack doesn't show up on the stat line with a sack or turnover, you don't see him disrupting the game in any way. His presence isn't felt. He's basically been nonexistent in those games. I do believe that's due to the fact that the raiders have no other good players on defense so offenses just focus on eliminating Mack. The fact that they are frequently successful in doing so makes me feel that the people portraying Mack as the 2nd best defender in the league are overrating him a bit. However, with what we already have, I believe Mack would be enough of an upgrade to say we no longer have a weakness at pass rusher.

Acquiring Mack would leave us with a glaring need at WR1 with upgrades at OG needed, but those needs aren't going to ruin our chance at being a contender. Not having a pass rush is what's ruining it for us right now. We should stop acting like we're 6 impact players away from contending. We're much closer than that.

Having said all that, Mack will not be a 49er. Even if the raiders trade him, some team will give up the farm for him. I don't see Lynch doing anything close to that.

Multiple 1sts and $100 million commitment is bats**t crazy...there is no way you can justify giving up that type of draft capital & money for someone that doesn't play QB.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I would give up 2 1st for Mack imo. He wants to make 20 million a year annually and I think he is worth it. Armstead and Jimmy combine for that much and which would you rather spend your money on? Yall want a legit passrusher, he is one.

First, AA and Ward do NOT make that combined. Armstead is making $3 million this yr and was given the 5th yr option for 2019 (which is only guaranteed for injury). Ward is making $8.5 million on his 5th yr option this yr, it's not even close to $20 million for the both of them.

Giving up two 1sts is dumb as s**t given the leverage you have on a player's rookie deal (especially 1st rounders). Throw in you'll have to commit something like $100+ million and $70+ million guaranteed.

It's insane how people over value a player vs draft picks/money GMs certainly aren't which is a good thing.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM ]

No they dont
Originally posted by jcs:
Last dpoy to get traded?

DROY got traded for a 4th and future 2nd
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

They don't even come close to that.
No way he gets traded to the niners, supposedly the jets are interested tho.
Pull the trigger with 2 first rounders, Beathard is lighting it up right now so he will be traded for a 1st rounder next year anyways

Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Pull the trigger with 2 first rounders, Beathard is lighting it up right now so he will be traded for a 1st rounder next year anyways

Heh
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Edge rusher has a tremendous impact on offense and defense, similar to the QB in that on 3rd downs if he can close out the opposing offense and give the ball back to his own offense, it benefits the offense. Second place where an elite edge rusher impacts the game is on turnovers due to sacks to the QB or pressuring the QB into throwing interceptions. If you look at the turnover tables, a +1 net turnover ratio equals almost a 70% winning percentage. Again, my classic example, pre-Fred Dean the 49er defense was dead last, post Fred Dean, it was 2nd. Aldon had a similar effect with pre-Aldon 49er defense and Post-Aldon Smith in the HaarBaalke era. In my opinion, I think elite edge rushers are worth *almost* as much in draft capital as an elite QB.

Hey I know how important an edge rusher is...I was b***hing about it all draft season

That being said he IS NOT a QB and the internet is valuing him as such with trade compensation. The value goes even further down in the eyes of a GM because you have to make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Just my opinion, but it's no accident that the 49er Dynasty was built on elite edge rushers like Fred and Charles. Defense wins super bowls, and we had two elite edge rushers for almost 19-ish years and that's why we had an almost 20 year playoff run and 5 super bowls with no losses. Elite edge rushers makes good defenses elite and operate at a dynasty level, not just playoff level, or a one and done super bowl levels like the Sea Chickens. I just think that's how important an edge rusher is, and ShanaLynch have stated that's who they are looking for, but their actions (so far - hoping for them to try to get Kalil) have been a bit disappointing. Again, I defer to you draft experts, but to me - trading basically 2 second round picks for Kalil isn't overvaluing him at all if what I've read on paper about him is true.
Buckner and Mack, let that sink in
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Buckner and Mack, let that sink in

As much as I would love that, it's not happening. I don't think the Raiders ever worked out a trade together? But if they did the most I'd trade is a 1st and 2nd round picks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
As much as I would love that, it's not happening. I don't think the Raiders ever worked out a trade together? But if they did the most I'd trade is a 1st and 2nd round picks.

if we believe people here. we will spend a number one on a pass rusher so why wait that long to get one
Share 49ersWebzone