There are 190 users in the forums

New NFL Catch Rule.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
so no longer incomplete if it comes out when you hit the ground. As long as you made a "football move" prior.

Correct as long as there's Control. Only problem is, does control happen if a receiver jumps in the air, obviously shows hands locked around the ball, then gets hit in the legs only to hit the ground dislodging the ball.

The "New Rule" seems just like the old rule 20 years ago.

Arm/elbow hits ground with possession = down by contact. Still a catch.

WHAT IF THE BALL MOVES WHEN HIS ELBOW HITS THE GROUND!?

Catch, down by contact. Play is over the exact moment his arm/elbow touches down. Unless the ball is fully out of his possession before that moment then it's a catch.

As long as the ball never touches the ground before elbow/knee/butt/two feet touch, let it be a catch. If the runner is bobbling while running and has already established two feet, let it be a fumble if separated from the ball.
Originally posted by VDSF:
New NFL catch rule was just passed unanimously by NFL owners, 32-0.

1) Control

2) 2 feet down or another body part

3) A football move, such as - A 3rd step - Reaching/extending for the line to gain - Or the ability to perform such an act

I assumed it has to be all 3 to be a catch right...?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

1) Control

3) A football move, such as - A 3rd step - Reaching/extending for the line to gain - Or the ability to perform such an act

Is this a rhetorical question? lol
So Dez caught it?
*sigh . It's such a simple concept....
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

1) Control

I know it's a stupid question on my part, because it seemed like it's the old rule just simply worded, not simplified. The #3 can still be very confusing depends on the refs judgement of the 'football move', especially with slow motion vid review.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
So Dez caught it?

yyyep.

1) Control

I know it's a stupid question on my part, because it seemed like it's the old rule just simply worded, not simplified. The #3 can still be very confusing depends on the refs judgement of the 'football move', especially with slow motion vid review.

I'm thinking #1 is going to be more controversial. What is "control"? What if the football is moving within their hands? Double-clutching? Should have taken that out IMO.

1) Control

One would assume?
Originally posted by 9moon:
The Calvin Johnson Rule must stay... that was too obvious that he didn't have the ball long enough..

The Pittsburgh TE (IMO) was also a good call, there was no possession..

The Eagles TE (super bowl) however was too easy, that was an easy catch.

Lol what? You might be the first person I have ever met that had one of those opinions, let alone both. Both were catches and definitely will be with the new rule.

Share 49ersWebzone