LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

The Saints' 2017 draft

Shop 49ers game tickets
People have written a lot about how in the last year the Saints have transformed themselves from a passing attack that is supported by little else into a strong defensive and running team that now supports the passing attack, but the role of of the 2017 draft in all of this still isn't discussed that much.

Everyone knows that Kamara and Lattimore are both really good, but that's really only half the story about the Saints' rookie class.

Just saw the end-of-year PFF rookie grades for 2017.

The Saints have three of the top five highest graded rookies in the NFL, and four of the top ten graded rookies. That's insane. Of these four they also landed two on offense and two on defense. Also worth noting that another one of their picks, Alex Anzalone was a fifth rookie starter for them through the first month of the season before getting injured and spending the rest of the year on IR.

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jan 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
That's why the rumor of Sean Payton to the Bears makes no sense to me.
Imagine if they had drafted Foster as well like they planned. (I know they would then not have got Ramczyk, but still).
[ Edited by captveg on Jan 3, 2018 at 2:09 PM ]
To be fair, Alex anzalones big knock coming out was his ability, or lack thereof, to stay healthy. Remarkable draft class for sure.
Originally posted by FL9er:

First time I've heard this one...
Originally posted by FL9er:

Yeah, that's a total head scratcher.

I'm assuming there's gotta be something else going on there as this is the second year in a row there has been rumors about Payton jumping ship.

Whatever it is, Payton is the most valuable piece they have, and his flexibility in changing the offense this year proves that now more than ever.
Originally posted by captveg:
Imagine if they had drafted Foster as well like they planned. (I know they would then not have got Ramczyk, but still).

Yep. You gotta swap out another draft hit to get him there, but that their board was Foster and then Ramczyck at that point in the first is definitely another feather in their cap for how well they were nailing that draft.

The crazy part is their defense would be even better in run support right now if the 9ers hadn't done Bowman a solid and nixed their trade to the Saints for him so that he could be a FA and stay in the Bay Area.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jan 4, 2018 at 6:40 AM ]
Niners 2017 draft > Saints 2017 draft
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Nonsense.

To be fair, in retrospect I LOVE the 9ers 2017 draft, particularly given where they are in their development, but as it stands at this point IMO they landed a blue chipper (Foster) and five guys with the potential to grow into or be average to above average starters (Thomas, Witherspoon, Taylor, Kittle, and Colbert).

As it stand at this point the Saints landed four blue chippers in the same draft.

The 9ers hit a home run and the Saints hit a grand slam.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Nonsense.

To be fair, in retrospect I LOVE the 9ers 2017 draft, particularly given where they are in their development, but as it stands at this point IMO they landed a blue chipper (Foster) and five guys with the potential to grow into or be average to above average starters (Thomas, Witherspoon, Taylor, Kittle, and Colbert).

As it stand at this point the Saints landed four blue chippers in the same draft.

It's like the 49ers '86 draft vs. the Steelers '74 draft. Our draft was no slouch, but yea, the Saints absolutely nailed it. Hopefully Witherspoon, Colbert, and possibly Kittle become longterm starters and Thomas can become a dominant force.

Pretty incredible draft. They managed to get younger AND better, especially on defense. Lattimore is already a top 5 corner and Kamara is everything they wanted Reggie Bush to be. Ramczyk has started just about every game. Easily had the best class out of anyone.

lolz durp.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

That is a perfect analogy.
I wouldn't bother trying to claim the Niners had a better draft than the Saints.

Was just hoping for a sacrifice bunt score after the strikeouts we've faced the last few years.
Ours still could end up better. Foster is the real deal, if Solly develops, tight end is one of the harder positions to learn and Kittle has shown promise, 2 good secondary players, and 2 good role players in Taylor, Breida.

NO has the edge for now but I think by year 3 we'll be saying we had the best class.
Share 49ersWebzone