LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 416 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
.... WHICH LEADS to the question of, should Lynch get another chance??
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Arizona would go full retard firing their coach after 1 year.

Did the 49ers go full retard firing Tomsula after one season? The mistake was hiring, not firing him. So far Wilks hasn't shown much as a HC, if you get to the point where you know keeping this guy for another year is simply not going to help your franchise any, why do it? It was one thing for the offense to be an issue but their defense got absolutely BTFO by San Diego yesterday too.

I could see it going eitherway but I can't think of many strong arguments for why he should be kept on considering that they went 8-8 last year with a lot of the same talent.

I agree with what your saying. But you are forgetting one thing. Wilks was a hot name for a HC gig for the past 2 years. Tomsula never was.

Tomsula had better results. This is a bottom line league and Wilks has been horrible. He's not going to lead them to a super bowl. AZ would be best to cut their losses.

tons of coaches have had bad years in year 1.
Parcells went 3-12-1 in his firs year with the Giants. I'm not comparing him, but it's almost impossible to know after 1 year.
Andy Reid went 5-11 hos first year.
Tom Coughlin went 4-12 his first year.

Just basic knowledge of football will prove my point man. Not everything is a Harbaugh turn around. And Jim inherited a team with P-Will, Bowman, VD, Gore, etc...

AZ has regressed considerably since Wilks took over, but it's not just about the number of losses they've accumulated, it's about how they've lost. If you search the Cards' media, you see it's littered with rumblings about how poorly the team is being managed, an offensive coordinator being fired mid-season, and rumors of their star defensive player possibly being traded, etc. Sure, Parcells, Reid, and Coughlin had losing records their first seasons, but they clearly showed promise that I don't think Wilks has. Like Phoenix said, AZ may very well realize that hiring Wilks was a mistake, cut their losses, and move forward. Just basic knowledge of business will prove my point.

that will only happen if they completely blow it up and fire their GM too. He would need to be held accountable for that hiring.
that will only happen if they completely blow it up and fire their GM too. He would need to be held accountable for that hiring.

Yeah but Keim is BFFs with ownership. He has been in the organization for decades. Wilks is an outsider.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Arizona would go full retard firing their coach after 1 year.

Did the 49ers go full retard firing Tomsula after one season? The mistake was hiring, not firing him. So far Wilks hasn't shown much as a HC, if you get to the point where you know keeping this guy for another year is simply not going to help your franchise any, why do it? It was one thing for the offense to be an issue but their defense got absolutely BTFO by San Diego yesterday too.

I could see it going eitherway but I can't think of many strong arguments for why he should be kept on considering that they went 8-8 last year with a lot of the same talent.

I agree with what your saying. But you are forgetting one thing. Wilks was a hot name for a HC gig for the past 2 years. Tomsula never was.

Tomsula had better results. This is a bottom line league and Wilks has been horrible. He's not going to lead them to a super bowl. AZ would be best to cut their losses.

tons of coaches have had bad years in year 1.
Parcells went 3-12-1 in his firs year with the Giants. I'm not comparing him, but it's almost impossible to know after 1 year.
Andy Reid went 5-11 hos first year.
Tom Coughlin went 4-12 his first year.

Just basic knowledge of football will prove my point man. Not everything is a Harbaugh turn around. And Jim inherited a team with P-Will, Bowman, VD, Gore, etc...

AZ has regressed considerably since Wilks took over, but it's not just about the number of losses they've accumulated, it's about how they've lost. If you search the Cards' media, you see it's littered with rumblings about how poorly the team is being managed, an offensive coordinator being fired mid-season, and rumors of their star defensive player possibly being traded, etc. Sure, Parcells, Reid, and Coughlin had losing records their first seasons, but they clearly showed promise that I don't think Wilks has. Like Phoenix said, AZ may very well realize that hiring Wilks was a mistake, cut their losses, and move forward. Just basic knowledge of business will prove my point.

The Cardinals made the mistake of thinking this was only a retooling. When you are replacing a QB with a rookie, it's hard to call that. With that said, yes Arizona has declined rapidly. Even with the 49ers, there are positives that you can point to for this team. I don't think we can say the same for Arizona. If they could even get the defense looking better, which is the Wilks background, that would show some promise.
So who else is going down this year? Also, there doesn't seem to be many hot assistants this year.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
So who else is going down this year? Also, there doesn't seem to be many hot assistants this year.

I'd say the likely candidates for new head coaches are:
- Jets: This could be an appealing location for someone that wants to work with Sam Darnold and the talent they have on the roster.
- Buccaneers: Koetter strikes me as someone that is a good coordinator but not a good head coach. The Buccaneers have swapped and changed quarterbacks on multiple occasions this season. Their defense has gone backwards. Last year they were meant to be a dark horse but struggled, and this year they started hot and have faded. Time for change at head coach and other areas.
- Packers: Not the team they once were. For me I'd say make a change at head coach and make the changes required to make the best use of Rodgers final years.
- Bengals: This is a job that arguably should have become vacant a number of times already, but it hasn't. Time for a new head coach, maybe a new quarterback if they don't believe in Andy Dalton, and take a look at that defense.
- Ravens: I think it is time for a change in Baltimore for both parties if they miss out on the play offs again. Start fresh next year with a new GM and head coach combination.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't that many openings this season. I don't see us making a change. The Raiders certainly aren't unless Gruden retires. The Lions, Giants, and Cardinals are unlikely to ditch a first year head coach but it has been done before. The Bills and Dolphins seem to rate their head coaches and their rosters have started to go through transition this season, so I'd hazard a guess they'll get another year. Highly unlikely the Eagles fire their super bowl winning head coach. I don't see the Falcons ditching their head coach who they rate. And while the Jaguars have regressed significantly, I don't see Coughlin getting rid of Marrone because he's his style of head coach (i.e. defense and strong running game).

Plus as you say there aren't a ton of hot coordinators this year like previous years, so perhaps this is a year to give the current guy another year.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Besides Jacksonville, keep an eye on Carolina. Rumors that Ron Rivera is on the hot seat.
Lose to the cards at home...........bye bye McCarthy.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

That didn't take long, he gone.
only firing i would care about is todd bowles. hes the dc i want.

Bye bye.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Dec 2, 2018 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
Bye bye Rodgers as well lol.

long overdue
Originally posted by gold49digger:
only firing i would care about is todd bowles. hes the dc i want.

+1 I was sweating that the Titans wouldn't come back.
I wouldn't mind the Denver HC as our Dcordinator.
He was with the miners back in the day.
Share 49ersWebzone