LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 97 users in the forums

The Coaching/Front Office Carousel

Shop 49ers game tickets
"Here's what happened to the Bears before I got there. What they were doing was putting Band-Aids on every little problem, hoping they would be a good team the next year," Fangio explained. "By the time we got there, they sucked. They were old, no young talent, no nothing. I've coached on two expansions teams in Carolina and with the Texans, and our roster on defense when I was hired (by the Bears) was worse than those expansion team defenses"

Geezus Vic, try not to beat around the bushes.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"Here's what happened to the Bears before I got there. What they were doing was putting Band-Aids on every little problem, hoping they would be a good team the next year," Fangio explained. "By the time we got there, they sucked. They were old, no young talent, no nothing. I've coached on two expansions teams in Carolina and with the Texans, and our roster on defense when I was hired (by the Bears) was worse than those expansion team defenses"

Wish more coaches were open and honest like that.
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Being honest will net them a first HC job in their 60's
Originally posted by JustinMT:

Being honest will net them a first HC job in their 60's

This. I think Arians had the exact same issue. He never sugarcoated anything.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Anyone see that Tim Rattay will coach Alex Smith possibly in Washington?

he is probably a good coach just like ken dorsey.. way below average qbs but those are the type that make the best qb coaches in my opinion. montana and young would not make good coaches and montana was a disaster as a tv in studio guy while young thrives in that area. weird
...and not just in your opinion. Most of the best coaches were not the very physically gifted guys but guys who had to constantly work hard, study games and technique, just to stay in the league, if they even got that far. They understood HOW the game had to be played and the importance of teaching it.

Guys like Sean Payton who kicked around the arena league and Europe had to learn everything he could just to pay the bills. Now he is one of the most innovative and successful coaches in the league.

Bill Belichick played center and tight end in high school but nothing above that and he is regarded as one of the best ever.

Mike Vrabel is another guy who was never a star but made it through hard work and appears on his way to a successful HC career as well.

The list is long...
I'll add Kyle Shanahan, Don Shula, and Bill Walsh to the list.

Yep, those as well.

I was only trying to stay relevant.

I understand :-). Only providing historical context.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Why no comments on Ben Peterson?

Isn't anyone impressed?!

Are you not entertained?!!

http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/12/49ers-to-hire-sports-science-guru-as-head-of-training-medical-staff-report/

I effing love this guy. That certainly blows the presumed theory that the Bears had all this talent initially and a two year head start on us (albeit partially true).
Originally posted by LVJay:
Why no comments on Ben Peterson?

Isn't anyone impressed?!

Are you not entertained?!!

http://www.knbr.com/2019/02/12/49ers-to-hire-sports-science-guru-as-head-of-training-medical-staff-report/

See my injury thread in NT.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
See my injury thread in NT.

this dude doesn't get his own thread doe lol
[ Edited by LVJay on Feb 12, 2019 at 4:39 PM ]
You can already see that the Bengals are going to be an absolute disaster. They even have college defensive coordinators turning them down.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You can already see that the Bengals are going to be an absolute disaster. They even have college defensive coordinators turning them down.

Probably still have a better record than the niners.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

you know by this point Eric Mangini is waiting by the phone.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I effing love this guy. That certainly blows the presumed theory that the Bears had all this talent initially and a two year head start on us (albeit partially true).

It also shows how bad some teams draft. All those years drafting in the top 10 and the couldn't build a winner. I see all the complaints about Lynch after only 2 years and the you look at the Bears, Browns, Jets and so on and our guys don't look so bad.
Originally posted by susweel:
Probably still have a better record than the niners.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
wow

Share 49ersWebzone